Thread: T93 failed to retrieve flash data on initial read

Tuner in Training

T93 failed to retrieve flash data on initial read

Just got my unlocked t93 back from hptuners today and when I try to read the tcm I keep getting a failed to retrieve notification. I initially did the tcm replacement portions with vcm scanner before removing the stock tcm, then unhooked the battery and removed tcm, i sent it to hptuners, they sent it back, i plugged it in, hooked the battery back up and started the car. Everything worked fine, it went into gear etc then i tried to pull the file and it wouldn't work. I remembered that i never finished the tcm replacement with vcm scanner and then when through those steps with the unlocked tcm in place. I'm still unable to retrieve the data. Yes I do have an internet connection. I can still read the ecm fine, just like i have before, just seems to be an issue with tcm. I do have a ticket in with hptuners right now, but checking here also. Has anyone else had this issue?

Potential Tuner
    Have you gotten this issue figured out?

I was discussing getting the TCM tuned in my 2021 ZL1, but my tuner cautioned me to wait due to there being issues with the T93 unlock.

Potential Tuner
    I know this is an old thread but I need HELP! I've got the same issue. I got my original TCM back from HP Tuners unlocking service and it won't read the tune file. How did you get this sorted out?

Potential Tuner
    Any luck OmarR? Were you getting a prompt to have hpt unlock it even after they supposedly did?

Well,,,, first post,, new to HP Tuners & normally not a person to complain but...........

Just spent a bit of time money so I could tune my 21 High Country with this T93 TCM.
    Try to read it & get a downloaded generic file because it will not read the module with a message stating something like "I can modify this generic file if I wish"
    That's real nice
    I don't think I am ready to try & write an unknown file to my vehicle & take the chance of bricking my transmission if I cannot even read it.

Would be nice if we were told of this issue BEFORE spending the time & money to have the controller unlocked....... just to find out that apparently it cannot yet be read unless I am missing something?
    Last edited by Wolfplace; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:31 PM.
    Mike (Wolfplace)
    VISIT US AT
    Lewis Racing Engines.com
    ++Complete Machine shop & Dyno services++
    ================================
    Welcome to the internet,,, "Experts" made daily
    ===
    "Life is tough.,, Life is even tougher if you're stupid."
    ----John Wayne----

A few of the cars I have driven & owned
    A tour of my shop
    The Dyno
    And a few pics of the "family"

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfplace View Post
    Well,,,, first post,, new to HP Tuners & normally not a person to complain but...........

Just spent a bit of time money so I could tune my 21 High Country with this T93 TCM.
    Try to read it & get a downloaded generic file because it will not read the module with a message stating something like "I can modify this generic file if I wish"
    That's real nice
    I don't think I am ready to try & write an unknown file to my vehicle & take the chance of bricking my transmission if I cannot even read it.

Would be nice if we were told of this issue BEFORE spending the time & money to have the controller unlocked....... just to find out that apparently it cannot yet be read unless I am missing something?
    try reading just the tcm ..so when you have t93 you should also have a e90/e93 pcm which will require umlock services as well

Thanks but they are both "unlocked" I can read the ECM not the TCM
    Tried reading both & reading individually & the TCM will not read
    According to HP Tuners you cannot read the TCM have to use the generic file they send & use that to write to the TCM
    So,,, you get,, hopefully a good generic factory tune to modify every time you want to do a change if you try to read.
    Haven't tried it yet but am assuming if you save your tunes as you should you could modify the saved one & write it to the system but at this time according to HP Tuners cannot read what is in the truck
    Mike (Wolfplace)
    VISIT US AT
    Lewis Racing Engines.com
    ++Complete Machine shop & Dyno services++
    ================================
    Welcome to the internet,,, "Experts" made daily
    ===
    "Life is tough.,, Life is even tougher if you're stupid."
    ----John Wayne----

A few of the cars I have driven & owned
    A tour of my shop
    The Dyno
    And a few pics of the "family"

Tuner in Training
    Saw this thread got pulled up just now, sorry I didn't see it before. I had to upgrade vcm suite to the latest beta to read the tcm after getting it back from hptuners.
    2020 Camaro, twin turbo forged 401, port injection, constant work in progress
    2018 3.5 Ecoboost F150 upgraded fuel system, Preaux tuned, 11 sec daily truck that just works