Thread: 2005 GTO throttle/accel percent

Tuner

2005 GTO throttle/accel percent

My buddy?s 05 gto keeps going into safety mode and i believe it?s because of a correlation issue between the throttle body and the accel pedal. The accel pedal percent keeps glitching between 0-10% really fast, like a flicker, even when the pedal is being left alone.
    The throttle body at idle sits at about 10-12 percent open give or take, and i?m sure this is due to it idling and obviously if it was all the way shut it wouldn?t run.
    What i don?t understand is why when giving it half throttle or even wide open, the accel pedal doesn?t eventually cross paths with the percent of the throttle body, and then they both are relatively the same percent? the throttle will be maxed out at 90 percent, while the pedal sits at around 70-80. i believe the computer is seeing this and thinking it?s a hung throttle or something and going into safety mode.
    The throttle body and pedal have both been replaced, as well as a new alternator if that means anything to you.

Drive by wire throttle body as well.

Cool story. No files posted.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BeauRichardson View Post
    My buddy?s 05 gto keeps going into safety mode and i believe it?s because of a correlation issue between the throttle body and the accel pedal. The accel pedal percent keeps glitching between 0-10% really fast, like a flicker, even when the pedal is being left alone.
    The throttle body at idle sits at about 10-12 percent open give or take, and i?m sure this is due to it idling and obviously if it was all the way shut it wouldn?t run.
    What i don?t understand is why when giving it half throttle or even wide open, the accel pedal doesn?t eventually cross paths with the percent of the throttle body, and then they both are relatively the same percent? the throttle will be maxed out at 90 percent, while the pedal sits at around 70-80. i believe the computer is seeing this and thinking it?s a hung throttle or something and going into safety mode.
    The throttle body and pedal have both been replaced, as well as a new alternator if that means anything to you.

Drive by wire throttle body as well.
    It will have a code when it goes into this "Safety mode" use that code to diagnose the problem. ON a 2005 GTO a throttlebody/pedal code is usually not in tuning. Its mechanical.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner
    Sorry for the delayed response and posting of the log file. I made this post when at work and when i got home i couldn't find my laptop charger. I will have the file down below. I cannot remember what the code was, and i figure that the scanner would save it in the thing when it was triggered before i had cleared it but i guess not. Lesson learned. But i can confirm that it is a throttle body code. We had recently replaced the alternator because it had gone out and we had been told by someone that a bad alternator could cause an issue like this, but obviously the issue has gone unresolved
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    We have replaced the pedal and the throttle body so i guess im just looking for some guidance into what should be looked into next. We have also replaced the alternator which may or may not be relevant to fix this issue depending on who you ask

Tuner
    I rewatched the log and for whatever reason the log doesn't pick up the issue that im talking about with the pedal percent glitching back and forth so it must just be an interface issue on my end. So nevermind what i was talking but i would still be interested to gather more of an understanding of this issue about the throttle body safe mode on these cars because i have heard that it is a pretty common issue.

I don't think it is a common issue. I had a problem with my 05 GTO shutting off intermittently and showing a TB problem. I got a new TB and same problem. It wouldn't happen often, but the worst time was when I would be in the staging lanes at the dragstrip and had to restart it about 4 times before I could pull into the burnout box. I had an engine harness that had a crimped splice in the MAP sensor wiring---it was SD tuned also---that would wiggle loose and cause that problem. That crimp was the only thing left to check, so I soldered it and never had that problem again. If you have a larger TB than stock on there, if the throttle blade touches anything, it will cause that same thing.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Tuner
    So the throttle body on there is just a factory replacement, so i wouldn't think any contact is being made. Today i will see if i can follow the map sensors to see if there is anything questionable but i feel like if there was it would have already been found just because of how deep we have been getting into this thing. But mistakes happen and something could have been overlooked

The map sensor thing was just a reminder that it might be in the wiring somewhere.
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8