Thread: Trans Current Gear PID e38/6l80 - reading in channels list but not graph or chart

Tuner in Training

Trans Current Gear PID e38/6l80 - reading in channels list but not graph or chart

I'm having some trouble with logging my transmission current gear [50072]. In the channel list in the scanner, I can see 'Trans Current Gear' and it lists everything appropriately from park through to gears 1-6. However, trying to log it in a graph, use it in a filter or put it on the chart gives me no data. It is 'red' when trying to make a math parameter, for example.
    Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong? I've attached a small log going through the gears as an example of the log recording what gear the car is in but I can't seem to translate that to graphs/maths.

Thank you!

TransCurrentGear.hpl

Senior Tuner
    You can't use that parameter how you would like because it's an enumeration. There's another trans gear pid in there somewhere, use that one.

Tuner in Training
    Sorry, slow to understand. If I manually add a variable in the math parameter manager, for example and search for transmission gear, this is the ID it gives me. Even if I dont use the generic sensor (which is 50072) the specific [4120] still returns red.
    However my channel list correctly displays the current gear - so I guess my question is, how do I translate channel list to parameter in this case. Thanks

Senior Tuner
    You can't.

You need to add the other trans gear channel to your channels list.

Tuner in Training
    Understand now, thanks. I'll give it a go and report back.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks so much @hjtrbo
    I can see now that when adding a PID to the channel list, it will tell me what sensor it's using too. Got it working now!