Thread: Wideband using fuel level sensor.

Potential Tuner

Wideband using fuel level sensor.

Tldr,
    Instead of using EGR or AC switch. You can use fuel tank level sensor pin on your ecu for wideband input.

RED C2 PIN 54 (ANALOG +5V)
    ANY GROUND (ANALOG -5V)

In VCM scanner
    -add channel for Fuel Tank Level Sensor

User math
    -To use AFR: [6401.10]*2.3750+7.3125

-To use lambda: [6401.10]*0.1621+0.4990

-EQ error ratio:
    100 * (([6401.10]*0.1621+0.4990) - [50118.238]) / [50118.238]

Use those math parameters for your graphs and you're all set to tune!

↓yapping↓

First of all, I would like to say a huge thank you to all of y'all here. I have been "tuning" my LS swapped Volvo 240 for the past while now, and this place has been the most useful source of information there is.

I have a stock 2001 5.3 with the accompanying 0411 ECU, and I wanted to connect my AEM 30-300 wideband to HP Tuners to get it dialed in. With my specific application and wideband, many people take the analog-output (+5v) and hook it to Pin 55 on the ECU. However, with (from my understanding) the EPA regulations on tuning, you cannot enable or disable the EGR option in new versions of HP Tuners (I believe versions 5.X and above). Because of this, I could not re-enable the EGR to take any data from the wideband analog 5v output. (With confirmed voltage at the wire with a multimeter and no voltage showing in HP Tuners.) Now there are ways to get around this, such as getting a previous version of HP Tuners with the compatible firmware version on your scanner, or you could get another person to tune it for you.

The other option is to use the A/C switch in the engine bay. To my understanding, this option only works if you have air conditioning installed, and I do not, so I didn't go this route nor did I look too much into it.

While I was looking at a pinout on LT1Swap.com, I noticed on Pin 54 Fuel Level Sensor Signal. I removed this pin when I stripped the harness down so the pin was unpopulated. I did some research, and the ECU only looks for a 0-5v from the sensor, so I thought I could use this pin instead of the EGR pin. So I hooked everything up, and in Vehicle Control Module scanner, I added a new channel for Fuel Tank Level Sensor and started logging. The voltage on the channel was correct according to AEM's paperwork, so it worked.

From there, I added the user math for AFR, Lambda, and EQ ratio error listed above.

I am virtually brand new to tuning so this was quite the challenge so if this can help anybody at all, just let me know! I know others are in this situation as well.

Much better to use the fuel tank pressure input, so you can still read fuel level if need be. I guess if you don't need fuel level info you are ok.