Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Tune & Log. Gen VI CBB 1999 Vortec 7400

Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    So what's the next step?
    Well considering how deep I am already in, I don't see how I can light the match without serious marital consequences.... I have been looking for a 4 bolt gen vi block. I see some on Hollanderparts.com. I will need to get the new one redecked (the pushrods I got will need this) and bored out 0.060 over (the pistons/rings I have) and line honed/checked AFTER I get the thing... Looks like between $450 and $800 I am thinking for the block, then the work on top... ugh.

Last edited by oldpartsnrust; 1 Week Ago at 12:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oldpartsnrust View Post
    The Good news is that my rod journals and rods check out at 0.0025 clearance. Across the board.

Senior Tuner
    Yeah that is good, but it'll change with a new block

I can already see scoring on the bore, and it's supposed to be a freshly machined block. That machine shop screwed up a lot of things.

I can already see scoring on the bore, and it's supposed to be a freshly machined block. That machine shop screwed up a lot of things.
    Well, at least right now I have my 'spare' car running so I am not pressed for having redundancy like I was. I hate not having a spare car when I have 3 kids that need to be at three different places all the time. Like you said, I am taking my time and making sure everything is 100% this time. Factory clearances, and none of the 'advice' I got from the machinist this time. I know the components work together, i.e. the new cam/springs/rockers, the stroker 4.25" crank, the -3cc pistons, the 0.010 decking on the block and the 0.060 overbore and the bigger injectors. When it ran, it seemed to have the extra power I was looking for. Pretty sure that when I get this together finally that I will be happy. I just need to be able to tow my boat and trailer without the thing struggling and blowing up like last time.

Thank you for your patience with this/me. If it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any luck! Although some of the bad luck I brought on myself like dropping that bolt and not making sure to retrieve it before I forgot and it fell into the head. Blessing in disguise as I wouldn't have necessarily seen the bearing wear and cylinder scoring if I didn't have to tear it down again.

That looks like a flex hone job at best.

Senior Tuner
    Which is unacceptable from a machine shop. I got +/-0.0001 bore and +/-0.0002 taper with a Sunnen hone and handheld drill. Yes, ten-thousandths of an inch.

Which is unacceptable from a machine shop. I got +/-0.0001 bore and +/-0.0002 taper with a Sunnen hone and handheld drill. Yes, ten-thousandths of an inch.
    Block is on the way here, then will send to different machine shop... There aren't many choices around here! Going to have bored 0.060" over and decked 0.010" to 9.790" and line honed/checked. Sound about right?

Tuner
    Just went through most of the thread. Sad to see the damage. I have been working on my build since last year trying to get the tune and the exhaust/intake adjustments. High IAT on mine as well, it just gets hot with a built motor under the hood of gmt400. I am planning to put vents on the hood to help. Wrapping exhaust helped a lot on my build, but I did not try to insulate intake path.

I ended up changing the intake. I don't know for sure if it was exhaust or intake, but my maf curve would flop after about 3200 rpm. I have changed both intake manifold and exhaust since then, and that let it run up to 5800 rpm. (Cam power band tops out at about 5800).

edit: I have swapped to e38 ecu and over on gen 4 side trying to get idle to calm down and steady. Was looking at your logs for some comparison and to also get some ideas.
    Last edited by yevgenievich; 1 Week Ago at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yevgenievich View Post
    Just went through most of the thread. Sad to see the damage. I have been working on my build since last year trying to get the tune and the exhaust/intake adjustments. High IAT on mine as well, it just gets hot with a built motor under the hood of gmt400. I am planning to put vents on the hood to help. Wrapping exhaust helped a lot on my build, but I did not try to insulate intake path.

I ended up changing the intake. I don't know for sure if it was exhaust or intake, but my maf curve would flop after about 3200 rpm. I have changed both intake manifold and exhaust since then, and that let it run up to 5800 rpm. (Cam power band tops out at about 5800).

edit: I have swapped to e38 ecu and over on gen 4 side trying to get idle to calm down and steady. Was looking at your logs for some comparison and to also get some ideas.
    I am too far in to back out now! Wrapping the intake seemed to help, but it was on the road briefly due to the lifter noise, which turned out to be low oil pressure after all. To think this all started with the Brake and A/C lines... Then the tank, then I saw the frame was rotted out and now I am here. Honestly I don't think I could have replaced with anything comparable for under like $35-45K, and even that would probably need work! Good luck with yours. I hope to have a happy ending for this in the not too distant future... I got a lot of practice and gained a ton of knowledge on the domestic engines. All my previous experience was with imports and all stock stuff pretty much. Has been a trip. Great bunch of people here too!

Senior Tuner
    Block is on the way here, then will send to different machine shop... There aren't many choices around here! Going to have bored 0.060" over and decked 0.010" to 9.790" and line honed/checked. Sound about right?
    Given the cracking I'd shy away from that 0.060 overbore. You have to consider core shift when it was cast, and some places are thinner. A good shop will know to test for thickness and voids with ultrasound. Really, I'd tell them take the minimum amount out as possible to correct the cylinder bore. The shop will have an idea of how much that will be when they inspect the block. Then you can match the pistons. The power comes from the stroker kit. Bore nah.

One thing I've noticed is the bigger is better crowd tend to end up in a mess. Take LS people. They get a 4 inch stroke kit instead of 3.9 just to be able to tell people "It's a 408 stroker". Yeah that's nice, but they end up rebuilding at about 15k miles because of the way the piston skirt comes out of the bore at the bottom of the stroke. Then there's the people who get these .600+ lift donkey dick cams on factory setups and waller out their valve guides because it's only meant for .551 lift on factory rockers.

There are other ways to make power. I've outrun a few of those .600+ lift guys with my baby .525 hot cam. Coming up on 90k miles on the build trouble-free. It's all in the details. If I remember right your intake setup, tb or manifold, was a pretty big restriction. Also, definitely invest in a nice windage tray. Think about a good modern style coated skirt piston that takes a thinner ring pack (Might require a longer con rod though, so maybe not. Budget considerations, too.). If you're using MLS gaskets specify the correct RA for the deck and heads. We've been over setting the valvetrain up for the valve tip wipe pattern

Wrapping the intake seemed to help
    Which was a hilarious picture btw haha
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 1 Week Ago at 11:18 PM.

Given the cracking I'd shy away from that 0.060 overbore. You have to consider core shift when it was cast, and some places are thinner. A good shop will know to test for thickness and voids with ultrasound. Really, I'd tell them take the minimum amount out as possible to correct the cylinder bore. The shop will have an idea of how much that will be when they inspect the block. Then you can match the pistons. The power comes from the stroker kit. Bore nah.

One thing I've noticed is the bigger is better crowd tend to end up in a mess. Take LS people. They get a 4 inch stroke kit instead of 3.9 just to be able to tell people "It's a 408 stroker". Yeah that's nice, but they end up rebuilding at about 15k miles because of the way the piston skirt comes out of the bore at the bottom of the stroke. Then there's the people who get these .600+ lift donkey dick cams on factory setups and waller out their valve guides because it's only meant for .551 lift on factory rockers.

There are other ways to make power. I've outrun a few of those .600+ lift guys with my baby .525 hot cam. Coming up on 90k miles on the build trouble-free. It's all in the details. If I remember right your intake setup, tb or manifold, was a pretty big restriction. Also, definitely invest in a nice windage tray. Think about a good modern style coated skirt piston that takes a thinner ring pack (Might require a longer con rod though, so maybe not. Budget considerations, too.). If you're using MLS gaskets specify the correct RA for the deck and heads. We've been over setting the valvetrain up for the valve tip wipe pattern

Which was a hilarious picture btw haha
    I agree. It reminded me of "Ultraman" for some reason. It did make a difference, but the fact that it was incredibly not aesthetic on its own is enough to not really plan on having that be the end result it was really just a 'proof of concept' because the unwrapped temps seemed untenable for running it. WHEN I get this back together, I will potentially revisit some sort of cold air intake scenario.

BTW, the cracked cylinder was #3 which is where I dropped the bolt in. I didn't see any evidence of impact though. Maybe someone with better eyes can see it and then that would put the 0.060" bore to rest? That would save me another bunch of money on pistons/rings.

Senior Tuner
    Oh you want to reuse? So have them check it with ultrasound before machining. If they can't then you're at the wrong shop.

Oh you want to reuse? So have them check it with ultrasound before machining. If they can't then you're at the wrong shop.
    Yeah, I do want to try to reuse the pistons. They are Keith Black -3cc that came with the stroker kit. The compression ratio, cam lift, and overall power seemed to be a decent combination once you turned off the knock sensors (assuming the valvetrain noise/lack of oil noises was triggering it?).

Senior Tuner
    Yeah we had them off to diagnose, but I'd prefer not to run that way.

Yeah we had them off to diagnose, but I'd prefer not to run that way.
    100% agree. I am speculating that the valvetrain and other 'low oil pressure' noises were causing them to trigger.

100% agree. I am speculating that the valvetrain and other 'low oil pressure' noises were causing them to trigger.
    New Block showed up today. It is like 100 degrees out so I am waiting till the sun goes down before eyeing it up.

New Block showed up today. It is like 100 degrees out so I am waiting till the sun goes down before eyeing it up.
    So far so good. Only bothering to post to give timeline for when we can hopefully finish up the tune! Block is stripped down, looks good. There is barely any casting flash in the return holes even. Gonna try to get it to the machine shop this coming week. I need to clean it first because they cannot hot tank anymore around here.

Senior Tuner
    Glad you keep posting. I like hearing about how it's going. I think there's quite a few other people interested in this project as well.

Latest update, got the block stripped down and cleaned. Looks good. Now I just have to get it over to the machine shop.