Thread: 2015 Silverado L86 swap Engine Oil Temp at -40

Potential Tuner

2015 Silverado L86 swap Engine Oil Temp at -40

Like the title says, I'm working on an L86 swap in a 15 Silverado. This is my first tune and I'm trying to get it done myself. I don't want to kill you guys with questions.

My Engine Oil Temp is staying at -40. I don't know what tables reference Oil Temp but I'm sure I don't want them stuck down in the -40 area.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I just need to know where to look next.

Thank you!!!

Advanced Tuner
    Typically if a sensor is reading a value like that and you're not in the arctic in the middle of winter, the sensor is disconnected. I don't know if gen5 uses an oil temp sensor or does a calculation to get oil temp, maybe someone can chime in.

Potential Tuner
    Wrapping up a 2017 L86/8L90 Swap in my jeep and i am using the Powertune Digital gauge and i am getting the same reading for the oil temperature -40. If i set the gauge to read OBD data instead of CAN data, i can get a oil temp reading. But i need to set the gauge to run CAN because i have a few readings that blink while using OBD data and they don't blink when running CAN BUS. Does anyone know for sure what sensor puts out Oil Temp? I have researched and i am reading that the oil pressure sensor also puts out oil temp? Not sure.

Potential Tuner
    Ok, So i just found out that the L86 does not have a physical oil temp sensor. ECU calculates it based on an algorithm use various sensors and guesses at the oil temp. However. The ECU seems to send this data over via OBD and not CAN, so if using CAN gauges. Oil temp will not work. OBD Seems to work though. This has been driving me crazy! LOL