Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: e38 bbc idle surge with ac on

Senior Tuner
    That torque issue had some head scratching, and I bet I wasn't the only one. Good that smokeshow solved it, now we can all jump back in from side of the pool with our ideas for the minor tweaks. Better late than never, I guess!

Tuner
    Uploading warm run log and current tune file version for reference. While at speed idle actually now has some surging as well.
    run12__engfrictiontorqueadded_adj_idle_rpm_ac_on_warm.hpl
    2008 E38_T42 8l_2bar_os_UDP_engfrictiontorqueadded_adj_idle.hpt

Senior Tuner
    Question, do you have the ac off for logging? Only reason I ask as whilst you're still dialling things in that extra disturbance is best left out. Once dialled then can tackle the ac part to see if you can get by without the canbus box.

Senior Tuner
    Hoping blindsquirell reads this post. We have a manual ecm on a 2 bar os 12617631 -> 1250216 running a t42 auto. Is that combo ok?

edit: I clicked the link. 3 minutes of life lost
    Last edited by hjtrbo; 1 Week Ago at 04:56 PM.

Tuner
    Most of my runs currently with ac on. Last configuration would idle ok with ac off and in park but surge in drive even ac off. Been watching and reading trying to understand exactly how the virtual torque tables are used by the ecu and what I am able to log.
    Last edited by yevgenievich; 1 Week Ago at 08:10 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by yevgenievich View Post
    Uploading warm run log and current tune file version for reference. While at speed idle actually now has some surging as well.
    run12__engfrictiontorqueadded_adj_idle_rpm_ac_on_warm.hpl
    2008 E38_T42 8l_2bar_os_UDP_engfrictiontorqueadded_adj_idle.hpt
    I'll get a look when I can. PC is currently down...thanks intel. So I'm taking a break for now. But I'd have to say that sounds like it's either getting into idle mode prematurely due to throttle settings or the spark varies too wildly between main spark and idle spark and driving oscillation. Keep in mind it will idle on the idle spark coastdown table when off throttle at speed but will not (or should not) be in closed loop throttle control.

Senior Tuner
    Last configuration would idle ok with ac off and in park but surge in drive even ac off.
    Quote Originally Posted by hjtrbo View Post
    Hoping blindsquirell reads this post. We have a manual ecm on a 2 bar os 12617631 -> 1250216 running a t42 auto. Is that combo ok?

Hmmm, possible double whammy. We know the ecm doesn't know about the AC. But does the ecm know you've put it in drive? I don't know. blindsquirell has turned off his pm's. If anyone has his email please pm me, I'm sure he knows the answer.

Tuner
    Hmmm, possible double whammy. We know the ecm doesn't know about the AC. But does the ecm know you've put it in drive? I don't know. blindsquirell has turned off his pm's. If anyone has his email please pm me, I'm sure he knows the answer.
    I have prndl pid that indicated when in park and each gear. ECU is from a 2008 auto truck with a manual transfer case and a 4l80e segment swap.

Tuner
    I have been looking at the virtual torque model and looks like the whole thing needs to be shifted because engine is running at higher kpa numbers in general and at a higher spark advance than a basic ls motor? Am I reading things correctly from the virtual torque discussion and the changes made so far? I did try changing the minimum spark table to allow numbers less than 8 and one of the immediate results was the downshift from 4th to 3rd throwing advance low enough to have a very noticeable stumble. Planning to adjust how much percent of torque at lower loads shifting takes down. Also adjusted timing tables main and idle areas some and returned idle spark table back to 20*. Have not put in the spark adjustments in yet but will test tomorrow.
    2008 E38_T42 8l_2bar_os_UDP_engfrictiontorqueadded_adj_idle_spark.hpt
    Last edited by yevgenievich; 1 Week Ago at 10:07 PM.

Tuner
    Coming to a stop idle surge is gone but at idle surge is bad. Will try to apply more more changes to map torque tables tomorrow.
    run13__engfrictiontorqueadded_adj_idle_rpm_spark_ac_on.hpl

Senior Tuner
    Sounds like you need one of these

http://www.rpmextreme.com/Product/23...st-Module.aspx

There will only be so good you can get it without being able to compensate for external loads like AC.

It's not a manual ECM OS, not with that VIN. Original trans was a 4L60 with the same TCM OS but it's been segment swapped, or write-entired, with the '08 2500 Express van.

edit: It's not like you weren't warned, dude. Just hope that shit isn't still playing on an endless loop inside your head a full week from now.

Tuner
    Currently it is surging idle with ac on or off. I will likely end up getting the ac request signal box for it after the rest is sorted

Senior Tuner
    Currently it is surging idle with ac on or off. I will likely end up getting the ac request signal box for it after the rest is sorted
    Gotcha. Last few files were titled 'ac on', so I had to assume. If the AC pressure sensor is wired to the ECM, you should include that variable in the data. Otherwise we can't really know when the compressor is engaged or not. May be same symptom on or off, but still need to know which is which.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeshow View Post
    Gotcha. Last few files were titled 'ac on', so I had to assume. If the AC pressure sensor is wired to the ECM, you should include that variable in the data. Otherwise we can't really know when the compressor is engaged or not. May be same symptom on or off, but still need to know which is which.
    I need to verify if ac pressure sensor is wired in and wire it if it is not. Been a while since I had rewired the system. For now I have been taking logs with ac on, but do a check on how it is running with ac off separately.

Senior Tuner
    Ok. Keep in mind, for now none of us will be able to tell when the compressor comes in, so if you take a log with AC off, it needs to be off for the whole log.

Tuner
    Update with two logs. One with ac and one with ac off. With ac off surge is less as expected but considerable. I also notice a lean spike at down surge spot.
    run14_tune_5_ac_on.hpl
    2008 E38_T42 8l_2bar_os_tune5_map_torque.hpt
    run14_tune_5_ac_off.hpl

edit:
    Somewhat related note regarding idle. When I was doing wide band tuning with all of the adaptives off, I could manually hold throttle steady for a solid 550rpm idle. And my hope was if I can get ecu to adapt and idle right with ac on, then ac off condition likely to fall in place decent enough. AC stays on full time pretty much 10 to 11 months out of the year.
    Last edited by yevgenievich; 1 Week Ago at 05:21 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Windows down lol. The issue with the ac is its torque demand on the engine varies considerably at idle. Because of this it makes tuning for it more difficult when there is no feedback. Ideally you'd wrap a cold towel around your neck and get one of those cigarette lighter dash mounted fans blowing at ya face. The tuning idea is to get your issues sorted with ac off.

I'd like to get out of my pool chair and help but smoke has got me hiding with his map torque adjustments. But with that said, and hoping not to stand on smoke's toes, give this a whirl. AC off please

Damn, just checked out your forecast in degC, she's fucken sizzling cuz.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    Windows down lol. The issue with the ac is its torque demand on the engine varies considerably at idle. Because of this it makes tuning for it more difficult when there is no feedback. Ideally you'd wrap a cold towel around your neck and get one of those cigarette lighter dash mounted fans blowing at ya face. The tuning idea is to get your issues sorted with ac off.

I'd like to get out of my pool chair and help but smoke has got me hiding with his map torque adjustments. But with that said, and hoping not to stand on smoke's toes, give this a whirl. AC off please

Damn, just checked out your forecast in degC, she's fucken sizzling cuz.
    Idle log attached. Thanks for sticking around helping with this.

run15_tune_5_propairflow_ac_off.hpl

Senior Tuner
    There's some pretty straight lines in there. And some curvy ones too lol, fucken thing. What's your take, right or wrong direction? Better, worse no change? I'd like to make a couple more changes but I'd like your feedback first please