Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please! Please add support for Vortec Trucks!

Potential Tuner

Please! Please add support for Vortec Trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by rattle
    Is there any hope of support for the 96-2000 v8 and v6 vortec trucks?

I am surprised to find only one other person has requested support for vortec trucks. It seems to me that the HPtuner VCM suite would be a very popular product among Vortec truck enthusiasts. There are many hand held programmers but none offer the versatility of HPtuners. I have found only one other product the Jet DST by Jet Performance Products (formerly the Tunercats OBDII tuner) that allows users to do all the programming. I have found that the Jet DST does not have the capability to read DTC's or view live vehicle sensor data. To me this makes the VCM suite a better choice and much better value. The only problem is I own a 99 K3500 with the Vortec 5.7. I have stroked the engine to 383 and have a GM performance cam and raised the compression ratio to 10.5 to 1. I have been told that companies like Superchips and Hypertech can make a custom programmer (sounds like guess work to me) for my application but I would much rather do it myself and have complete control to fine tune everything.

Again please add Vortec Trucks to your supported vehicles!

Thanks

Potential Tuner
    I'm looking for the exact same thing.

Tuner
    I got a 99 K2500 suburban with the 454
    jet tuner suxs
    would love to have the hp tuners one day i hopee

Ditto, I just had my 99 K2500 454 Suburban tuned by Jesse @ Wait4MePerformance, but want to do more on my own. I am looking to buy ASAP.

EFILive and TunerCat OBD2/Jet Spectrum Tuner DO support some of these vehicles. I am going to purchase a tuning program in the next 30 days guys. What is your plan for the 96-02 Vortec 4.3/5.0/5.7/7.4L engines? My plans are to be able to do lots of vehicles with it long term. I need to get a good platform.

So at least it IS supported, but not apparently by HP Tuners. If they are going to NOT support us, at least we can spend our hard earned cash somewhere to get what we need... (hint guys, we are serious, you are tossing good $$ to the wind, if we are talking about it, how many AREN'T talking and spending elsewhere?)

Quote Originally Posted by HyeSpeeder
    I got a 99 K2500 suburban with the 454
    jet tuner suxs
    would love to have the hp tuners one day i hopee
    Last edited by n0dih; 03-10-2007 at 09:31 PM.

we are investigating 98-00 trucks
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner
    THANK YOUUU

Tuner
    I tried to tune a 99 Tahoe that had a whipple blower and some engine work with the tunercat software. The biggest problem I had was tuning the idle, and low speed fueling. Tunercat had quite a few parameters available, just not the ones I needed to get the thing to idle. The bigger problem was that, at the time, there were no good loggers available. I tried the GM enhanced logger from autotap, but it was slow, and there were almost no idle related pid's. Efi live is offering a tuning package for the vortec motors, but when I downloaded their software, there were less tuning parameters for idle control than what was available with tunercat So, if you do come out with software, please make sure to include as much idle stuff as possable.

I use my Hp Tuner scanner for the 1998-2000 Vortec Trucks. I set up custom histograms for SD tuning. My wideband works with the EIO, but the PIDS are very limited on these engines, no spark retard, maf freq, or commanded AFR. I use Tuner Cat as well for these trucks.

Russ Kemp

Tuner
    Wow, I was told that the HP Tuners would not scan that vehicle. That's good information, thank you. Too bad the pid's are limited . Does it log with the same speed as with other gm ecu's?

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    I use my Hp Tuner scanner for the 1998-2000 Vortec Trucks. I set up custom histograms for SD tuning. My wideband works with the EIO, but the PIDS are very limited on these engines, no spark retard, maf freq, or commanded AFR. I use Tuner Cat as well for these trucks.

Russ Kemp
    whats happening is that HPT can scan any GM OBD2 vehicle.
    you just get the things that are Generic OBD2 things..
    usually some LTFT and some STFT, Timing, sometimes a couple of tranny parameters...Throttle Position, Vehicle Speed, RPM, and the DTC codes and abilitytoclear them...usually not much more than that though...
    -Scott -

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by soundengineer
    whats happening is that HPT can scan any GM OBD2 vehicle.
    you just get the things that are Generic OBD2 things..
    usually some LTFT and some STFT, Timing, sometimes a couple of tranny parameters...Throttle Position, Vehicle Speed, RPM, and the DTC codes and abilitytoclear them...usually not much more than that though...
    Not true. I have a 97 C2500 truck with a 5.7L Vortec and I can't scan it. I would love to be able to tune it, but would be happy if I could at least scan and clear codes.
    Phil K.
    02 Camaro SS 5.7L LS1
    01 Silverado 1500HD 6.0L LQ4 4L80E 78/75 turbo with Flex Fuel

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    yeah, hpt can scan MOST obd2 vehicles for instance I haven't had any problems scanning generic parameters on 96-97 LT1's, but its not guaranteed to work on every GM obd2 vehicle...its only guaranteed to work on the vehicles that are on the supported list.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Scanning and clearing codes would be great.
    2005 1500 CC Z71
    1997 Pontiac Grand Prix

So knowing what HPT software guys know on what they are seeing with the Vortec Gen 1 truck support compared to swapping in a 12200411 PCM.

Which would you do?

If I can spend $100 on getting a 12200411 PCM (I have seen as low as $40 very close to me) and a good 3-4 hours installing it and use a modern tune from a LSx V8 on my L29 454, would it be worth the effort?

Will HPT let me fix my VIN on the 12200411 PCM to the one that should be in my truck or does it matter?

I would like to use RTT and custom OS (SD tune mainly) as I really doubt there is gonna be much support for custom OS on the Vortec Gen 1 PCM (or is there?). This black box PCM seems to have a rather poor following for being a GOOD PCM for much of anything....

Tuner
    this sounds intresting if it would work with the 99 suburaban 7.4l i would consider doing it

I don't see why it won't. I need to get a tuning program and a PCM. PCM's are fairly cheap around, and then the connectors and pin removal tools and go to town....

PM me your serial #.

I also tested scanning on vortec. If you can't get it to work you need to send an info log while connected to the vehicle.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by hexdummy
    I tried to tune a 99 Tahoe that had a whipple blower and some engine work with the tunercat software. The biggest problem I had was tuning the idle, and low speed fueling. Tunercat had quite a few parameters available, just not the ones I needed to get the thing to idle. The bigger problem was that, at the time, there were no good loggers available. I tried the GM enhanced logger from autotap, but it was slow, and there were almost no idle related pid's. Efi live is offering a tuning package for the vortec motors, but when I downloaded their software, there were less tuning parameters for idle control than what was available with tunercat So, if you do come out with software, please make sure to include as much idle stuff as possable.
    I think you'll be very happy with the idle parameters we offer

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners
    we are investigating 98-00 trucks

When I started this thread, I said I had a 99 K3500. What I should have said was I have a 94 K3500 with a Vortec 383 and a VCM from a '99 K3500. I soon realized that the '99 vcm was not going to work for me because of the passlock system. I have since made use of a vcm from a '96 K3500. I have just had it tuned by nelsonperformance.com and I gotta say I am very disappointed. It ran and shifted better with the stock programming. I really really wanted to do it myself with HPT but I setteled....and got less than satisfactory results.

It's been a while since I've checked in here at HPT and I am very pleased to see that some support for the Vortec truck has finally become available. BUT.....I have to ask why no support for '96-'97??

What can I do to make the vcm suite work for me? Can I get a vcm from a 98 and make it work with my truck and HPT? Doesn't the '98 VCM's have passlock also?