Thread: Where is my Leak - Intake or Headers?

Tuner in Training

Where is my Leak - Intake or Headers?

I have a leak and it's driving me crazy. My car is running really rich at idle and I can't find the leak. Any ideas...?

Both LT fuel trims creep up to 22-24 at idle
    Eventually, I always get the lean code for bank 1 and 2... (Usually happens After deceleration) - after day or two of driving usually

Exhaust pops on deceleration

I took off the fast and reinstalled it... Any ideas? Maybe I need to reinstall the fast with all new gaskets...
    Last edited by xstang; 04-09-2007 at 06:14 AM.

Yeah post a tune and log. If you are running MAF and had a leak after the MAF it would run leaner, yet you are saying you are rich at idle.

Sounds to me like you just need to tune it first.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
    Yeah post a tune and log. If you are running MAF and had a leak after the MAF it would run leaner, yet you are saying you are rich at idle.

Sounds to me like you just need to tune it first.

Thanks man... I'll post a log and my tune when I get home... The tune was perfect for a long time. I just developed a leak somewhere....

Tuner in Training
    I assume it's the intake beacause I have a faint whistle when I stab the throttle.. Almost sounds like a slipping belt....
    Last edited by xstang; 04-09-2007 at 07:52 AM.

Spray some brake cleaner or something around the head/manifold, if it stumbles you found your leak. Although, you may want to just pull the manifold so shit doesnt spray everywhere.

What gaskets did you use on your intake last time you installed it (if it has been off the car)
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    Spray some brake cleaner or something around the head/manifold, if it stumbles you found your leak. Although, you may want to just pull the manifold so shit doesnt spray everywhere.

What gaskets did you use on your intake last time you installed it (if it has been off the car)
    I used new Fast gaskets. The only one I didn't replace was the TB gasket, so I will spray around the TB...... Hopefully I can figure this out before I go crazy!!! If I can't find it by spraying, I'll pull the sucker off and put all new gaskets and reseal the thing.... Any suggestions on what to use?

Hopefully I can find this so I don't have to do all that... ugggg

I would just get some more fast gaskets. If it is a FAST intake it could be seal between the pieces.

Potential Tuner
    You may want to go over your install of your Fast. Myself as well as many other people on LS1Tech don't like to read directions and the following happened.

The fast comes with extra bolts that replace the ones on the lifter valley. They have smaller heads on them because the Fast intake sits lower. If you don't replace these bolts you will either not get a good seal intake to head or you can actually crack the intake when your torque the intake down.

I put some nice dents on the bottom of my intake manifold from not replacing the bolts.

If you didn't change the bolts out you may want to start there

Good Luck (I don't know diddly squat about HP yet soo...thats what I have to offer lol)

Dave

Tuner in Training
    Thanks guys...

Yeah, I changed the valley bolts. Last night I tried spraying all around the intake to see if I could get the motor to bog down. I didn't find the leak. I will try to reseal the fast, change all the gaskets (reseal with RTV) and see if the problem is still there. If that doesn't solve it, I may take it to the dealer to see if the leak is coming from somewhere else. I'm pretty sure it isn't the tune because I had the same tune in my car for the past 6 months with no issues.

Tuner in Training
    If I want to check the Maf/Maf wire do I just unplug it? If so after it is running?

What do you want to check on the MAF?

Tuner in Training
    What do you want to check on the MAF?
    My new gaskets should be here in a few days, so I can re install the intake...

I looked at the wiring harness and noticed that it it was rubbed by the top pulley. Would that cause bad fuel trims? I'm reaching... Frustrated...

just log the MAF frequency and see how it does. If you tuned the ve just unplug the MAF and then check it.