Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cam Install now P0343 & Tach dead

Haven't checked that either. I'll check that when I get to checking the other things you suggested. Going out to dinner with the old lady now. I might be able to check these things later tonight, if not then tomorrow.

ok take care and have a pleasant evening !

I managed to put the wife off for a little while.

I couldn't get those PID's to work in HPT.

I did however check the low ref wire, it is a ground.

I put my volt meter on the CMP signal wire and turned the old cam over by hand and I could see the signal switching from 0 - 12 V on the meter.
    I had tried this before with the engine together with the new cam in by turning the crank with a ratchet and I never saw the value change (constant 12 V).

put volt meter on the CMP signal wire and turned the new cam over by hand and see is it same as old cam?

I already did that when the engine was together. I turned the motor over by the crank. It stayed a constant 12 V with the new cam.

With the old cam in it switches just like I expected it to. I'll check the new cam again tomorrow, the wife is really after me to get ready now, lol

ha ha ha go man and ask her to pray for you and your car!

OK, I just put the new cam back in, put the retainer plate & cam gear on it. Turned it over by hand while monitoring the CMP at the PCM with a voltmeter. Constant 12 V.
    It's been confirmed that the cam is the problem in my eyes.

Thanks for the troubleshooting ideas vette doc.

you are welcome we all are here to help each other

Just thought I would update this.
    I sent the cam back to the manufacturer, they looked at it, and figured out it was bad. One of their CNC lathe's had a bad controller board and caused it get off the further the cutter got from it's starting point (front of cam).
    They had no blanks for this grind that were good, so they had to purchase a blank from another manufacturer. It took them 4 or 5 days to get one to me from the time they got the bad one.
    They refunded the purchase price of the cam and offered to refund the price of the new CMP sensor I bought while trying to find the problem if I sent it in to them.
    New cam is in the car and everything if fine.