Thread: 2 quick ?s 1. spark tuning 2. Commanded AFR vs Actual AFR

Tuner in Training

2 quick ?s 1. spark tuning 2. Commanded AFR vs Actual AFR

Hi all. well i am back to having time to tune again. i left off at needing to spark tune.
    1. my afr with ve only is good
    2. my afr with maf only is good
    3. i have a stock spark table from a 2000 camaro

i have headers and i run i closed loop when not tuning.

i see people talk about spark tuning and knock sensors and false knock and burst knock an so on. i am lost as to where to start. and i have searched on this site and dont find a real difinitive answer as to what to do first. any help would be appreaced just to get me started. thanks.

SECOND ? and totally un related to the first

i scaned a friends car 98 TA, ls2 intake, stock injectors running OL speed density.

not tuned by me, is it a bad sign that the commanded AFR vs Actual AFR is off in most places by 10%? i know this is a hard question to answer without the tune and a scan file. but just picture a histogram that plots commanded vs actual ve % error and its filled with 8s and 10s lean.

thanks, joe
    Last edited by SSJoe15; 07-27-2007 at 05:36 PM.
    2000 Camaro WU8
    2008 GP
    Joe

sounds like your buddy's car needs to be tuned.

To get ideas on what setups best respond to, a dyno is a good tool to use for spark tuning. You can't always rely on the stock knock sensors and settings and engine harmonics change with mods. If your car is quiet enough, you just need to make sure you are not throwing timing at it that gives you audible knock.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    okay. do you recomend any settings for desensitizing knock sensors?

thanks, joe
    2000 Camaro WU8
    2008 GP
    Joe

I normally do not touch them unless the car has definite issues with false knock. Then I copy over the 2002 tables.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB