Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dyno Tuned today....results inside

Quote Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
    I honestly dont see why everyone thinks TSP cams are so great. I have never seen any incredible numbers from them, good, but nothing great from start to finish on a dyno graph. You can go with a grind from several other places which could be smaller than your cam and make more power all over. My buddy is running the Trak cam (232/235) and made 430 cam only on stock '99 LS1 heads through a 6 speed. You dont have to go big to make big power, you just have to have the right setup. My cam is only a 230/232 and has 4ยบ advance, you wouldn't think it would put down the numbers it has.

Maybe its just me, but I drive my car on the street and the 2-4k rpm range is what I see more than anything else. I don't want a slug in that area. If it was track only, then I could see not worrying about it, but most of us on here drive these cars on the road.
    I agree with other cars putting out more impressive numbers. My buddy has a 02 TA with bolt ons and Cam put down 420/390.
    Your car looks badass. If you ever make it to Myrtle Beach, or go to The Rock let me know, would like to see it.
    99Z A4 w/ SS LT's, h/f cats, magnaflow catback, port/polish t/b, egr deleted, ls6 intake, lid, 3.73's, hpt, performabuilt level 1 tranny, 3600 stall, Stage 2.5 (5.3 heads), Torquer 2 cam, 42# reworked injectors, TR6 plugs.

2007 Avalanche LTZ - Catback and Eibach springs

I tuned a buddys car that had full bolt ons plus a TR 224 .588 cam in it...
    he outran guys with trex cams at the track...

its all about matching parts....
    people buy the biggest baddest piece they can find and expect it to create a lot of power...when n reality sometimes they just end up hurting port velocity which is a lot more important than the actual flow #'s of something(big flow #'s dont always mean more power)
    people throw in a 160* thermostat and expect miracles...when all it might have done is help to run the engine cooler and nothing more
    if you dont run hot enough you dont burn off condensation and you get water vapor and moisture in the oil....
    your car also makes more power wen you can run it a little hotter
    you basically get a faster burn when you have a hotter engine...it can be dangerous if you get too hot..but you can build an engine to run really hot and make more power by backing off timing from what the usualy high point would be....The Stock LS1 runs around 230*F.....

people throw in huge cams and huge heads and stall out the heads because the ports really cant handle the airflow the cam is trying to accomplish..
    and with NA you cant fill the cylinders more than the intake ports will allow...so you can only go so big before al it does is hurt the lower end

then you have to go backwards...intake...MAF...Throttle body....
    in general cars make more HP in the top end when you go with bigger parts....but you lose a lot of torque down low too...
    -Scott -

That all makes sense to me.

I guess for me the bottom line is that I have very specific goals for what I want from the car, and that was more related to track times than to dyno numbers.

So I'll take it to the track once it cools off some and if I don't see the results I'm looking for, I'll start trying to find out what needs to be done to get there.

I don't really want to go higher than my current 3600 stall. I'd be more inclined to swap the cam to something else rather than mess with the transmission again.

I did mess with my timing some this weekend trying to squeeze a degree or two more in there, but with the 95 degree temps (105+ IAT's) and high humidity here in Florida, it just won't take it without knock.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Eric
    2004 Impulse Blue A4 LS1 GTO

PRC Stage 2.5 5.3L Heads, PatG Custom Cam (227/232 .610/.604 111LSA), 1 7/8" Kooks LTs w/catted mids, FAST 90/PTM90, Yank 3600 Stall, Custom 4" Fenderwell CAI, BMR Drag Bags, Magnaflow Cat-Back, PBMFIsMe tune.

410/362 at the wheels
    [email protected] - Woohoo ! ! !

OK....an update after a few weeks and another Dyno session. I just dyno'ed again today on the same setup ( it was free today, so I said what the hell)

The only changes since the last dyno day were:

1* hotter today, but with 30% humidity instead of 44% - But correction factor should negate this right? and I found that my rear tires were low on air so I filled them to my normal street driving 35PSI (Last dyno was done with 20 PSI in the tires...whoops)

Now...Why.....would my numbers be 13 HP and 1 TQ higher with nothing different than that on the same correction factor?

New numbers:

409/351

Old numbers:

396/350
    2004 Impulse Blue A4 LS1 GTO

PRC Stage 2.5 5.3L Heads, PatG Custom Cam (227/232 .610/.604 111LSA), 1 7/8" Kooks LTs w/catted mids, FAST 90/PTM90, Yank 3600 Stall, Custom 4" Fenderwell CAI, BMR Drag Bags, Magnaflow Cat-Back, PBMFIsMe tune.

410/362 at the wheels
    [email protected] - Woohoo ! ! !

Tire pressure could be that *one thing* if no other changes were made. Low pressure will increase tire friction.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Also depends on the tires too. I keep my DRs at 20-24 psi and dyno like that. I tried to go higher on the pressures (30-35 to see if there was a difference) and it didnt change anything on my car. Like I said though, I am sure that is really dependent on the tire used.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB