Thread: Please help with misfires

Tuner

Please help with misfires

I have a cammed 2002 Z06 with a LG motorsports cam 224 at 50. The car idles and runs great. Tuneup is great. Only exception is that it's seeing a decent amount of misfires at idle, and some around the 1800-2200 cruize range.

I'm trying to educate myself on misfires and I was wondering if anyone can answer any of these questions.

1. Are a certain amount of misfires normal? IF so how many and how often? The car has no misfires about the 1800-2200 rpms range.

2. How can I decrease the sensitivity of the misfires to prevent the light from coming on? I've gone in the engine diag/misfire and increased the numbers in all 4 tables of Cylinder mode. (the ones not at 32767 by 20% but the light is still being thrown. Should the tables in revolution mode also be increased? Is 20% increase enough?

3. What parameters should I be datalogging besides each individual for misfires? How else can I determine if this a normal cammed car or something that requires further troubleshooting?

4. Should I just set the mini ECT misfire detection to 265 degrees?

5. Shoud I just disable the misfire code?

Any help in this area is appreciated because I'm a Ford guy that doesn't have misfire issues in Mustangs.

thanks again.

You need to monitor the Cylinder Mode Index vs Cylinder mode Index Level
    Same thing with the Revolution Mode Index vs Revolution Mode Index Level. Find out which one is being used (values are moving around) and that will tell you which table is being used and where on the table if you are using the Misfire.cfg I posted a while ago.

Increasing the values will desensitize the misfire detection.
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner
    ECTune:

Thank you for taking the time out to reply. I can't find a misfire config file that you posted. I found a misfire configure file in the sticky above but it was posted by someone else and it has the 8 cylinder misfire histories.

When you say to monitor Cylinder Mode Index vs Cylinder mode Index Level
    are these PID's? I don't have the car in front of me to browse through them.

Any more info or links you can provide that can educate myself to troubleshoot this is much appreciated.

Like I mentioned I took the values on the tables I listed above and increased the numbers 20% and I'm still getting the codes.

Here's the link to my Misfire config & histograms:
    Last edited by EC_Tune; 04-03-2008 at 02:45 AM.

Tuner
    Thanks man! You da man.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    You need to monitor the Cylinder Mode Index vs Cylinder mode Index Level
    Same thing with the Revolution Mode Index vs Revolution Mode Index Level. Find out which one is being used (values are moving around) and that will tell you which table is being used and where on the table if you are using the Misfire.cfg I posted a while ago.

Increasing the values will desensitize the misfire detection.
    EC TUNE: I've been trying to study up on this a little more but I can't find much info. Can you tell me what the difference between Cylinder Mod Index and Level is? Same for Rev Mod?

I noticed that Rev Mod low RPM already has 32767 for numbers in the table. It looks like you can't increase the numbers at all? Am I reading this correctly? Any more info that you can provide whether it be a post here or links to other posts you made in the past would be very appreciated.

Thanks again

Dave

Index is the value in the table and Level is the current level. If Level exceeds Index for x amount of time it declares a misfire.