Thread: Having trouble with VE tuning.

Tuner in Training

Having trouble with VE tuning.

I have been trying to dial in my VE table but I cannot fix the lean condition above 3200rpm. I'm running SD. Not sure what I am missing. I live in Florida and today was cooler so the rest of the table is a little rich. Thanks

2000 5.7 stock return-less fuel system with new pump (61psi)
    50# 12613412 Injectors
    K&N Cold Air Intake
    Comp Cams 222/224 Duration at .050". 112 Degree Lobe Separation Angle
    0.566"/0.568" Valve Lift
    243 heads
    M6, 3:73 gears
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Here ya go! Give this a try. On the next datalog, add TPS as well.

11.(SD) run11 KW MOD.hpt

Quote Originally Posted by NBMY2KTA View Post
    I have been trying to dial in my VE table but I cannot fix the lean condition above 3200rpm. I'm running SD. Not sure what I am missing. I live in Florida and today was cooler so the rest of the table is a little rich. Thanks

2000 5.7 stock return-less fuel system with new pump (61psi)
    50# 12613412 Injectors
    K&N Cold Air Intake
    Comp Cams 222/224 Duration at .050". 112 Degree Lobe Separation Angle
    0.566"/0.568" Valve Lift
    243 heads
    M6, 3:73 gears
    I would go back in to close loop or a blending of of open loop and closed loop. Olsd is horrible on staying in a steady state vs closed loop. I live in Florida as well and played around it and even asked on here but there is definitely something not being said about olsd and how to keep it in a steady state with the iat temp swings. I tried every but it would not stay steady. If you figure out the missing piece please post it.

Forcing open loop while tuning with a wideband is totally normal and does not mean he's intending to leave it that way.

Also... speed density has nothing to do with open or closed loop.

He stated running SD so I assumed he was staying that way. My mistake just trying to save him headache if he staying in SD.

Speed density closed loop is also a thing. Works just fine. Failing (or removing) the MAF has zero, zip, nada to do with open or closed loop.

Correct, I can see how not clarifying can confuse people so to clarify I thought they meant they running and staying in olsd. That’s all.
    Last edited by 2000Phoenix; 02-19-2023 at 10:50 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you for the file. I will try it tomorrow. And yes I am just tuning the VE Table in SD and will go back to CL after I tune the MAF next. And will add TPS% in next Log.

Thank you for the file. I will try it tomorrow. And yes I am just tuning the VE Table in SD and will go back to CL after I tune the MAF next. And will add TPS% in next Log.
    You mean 'tuning the VE Table in OL'. Because you have a wideband, and if it were in closed loop it would screw up what the wideband reports. Wideband tuning, whether it is in speed density for tuning VE, or MAF-only for tuning the MAF, has to be done while in open loop. When you are 'done' (if there ever is such a thing...) you can put it back into closed loop, and then use speed density with closed loop, or MAF-only closed loop, or even back to the stock blended in closed loop. Or any of those three in open loop!

If you were tuning without a wideband and using trims instead, it would have to be in closed loop. And you can fail the MAF and tune VE in closed loop using trims, or do MAF-only closed loop to tune the MAF.

Sorry if that was just a one-time typo, but like above, people keep repeating this thing that is wrong that they heard from someone else who was also wrong and it just keeps spreading like a zombie plague. Loop status and SD/MAF are unrelated, other than they are all things related to EFI.

Tuner in Training
    Yes that is what I meant. Still new to tuning and the correct terminology.

Advanced Tuner
    I have been trying to dial in my VE table but I cannot fix the lean condition above 3200rpm. I'm running SD. Not sure what I am missing. I live in Florida and today was cooler so 2000 5.7
    what vehicle is this in?
    M6, is that the transmission?
    Your set up is very similiar to a vehicle im working on, but, its in a 1500 silverado with 4l60

Tuner in Training
    It is in a 2000 Trans-Am with a manual 6-speed (M6) but using a 2002 OS in a 411 pcm

Tuner in Training
    Here is my Log using kevin87turbot updated file. It looks a little better but still having very lean cells above 3200rpm. I am holding it in gear until I reach almost 5k @ 34% tps. Not sure if this is the correct way to do this. I know when logging I shouldn't make drastic changes in throttle position. Thanks for the help.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Here is my Log using kevin87turbot updated file. It looks a little better but still having very lean cells above 3200rpm. I am holding it in gear until I reach almost 5k @ 34% tps. Not sure if this is the correct way to do this. I know when logging I shouldn't make drastic changes in throttle position. Thanks for the help.
    That looks much better. Since you're at part throttle, and very little load, it's not a very critical part of the VE table. At this point, you can do a WOT run and get a datalog.
    Last edited by kevin87turbot; 02-21-2023 at 09:24 PM.