Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Cool new Porsche 911 hybrid. Tuned to always run lambda 1 with no power enrichment.

  1. #1
    Advanced Tuner JayRolla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    272

    Cool new Porsche 911 hybrid. Tuned to always run lambda 1 with no power enrichment.

    Not sure of other cars that do this. But a 3.6l running 26psi and always keeps air/fuel at 1.0 lambda with no power enrichment for better emissions.

    No more accessory drive. The transmission mounted motor is a starter and generator. The air conditioning compressor driven by a 400-volt motor and the water pump has been moved inside the engine driven by the oil pumps saving 40lbs.

    The turbocharger has a 27-hp electric motor that spools it at low rpm achieving full boost in less than 1 sec at 2000rpm. This new electric turbo has no waste gate and the motor turns into a generator and harvests up to 15 horsepower, in the process of providing enough drag to keep the turbo from over spinning. That electricity then feeds into the electric motor.

    Pretty cool tech these car manufacturers are doing even on these old ICE cars. Glad they are not just thinking EV anymore.

    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a6...brid-revealed/
    2013 CTS-V Coupe M6 - 1 7/8" Headers, 3" x-pipe, stock mufflers, Airaid intake w/green filter, ID1050X injectors, DSXtuning flex fuel kit, DMS under hood tank, upgraded pump, 3/4" lines, griptec 2.4" pulley, solid isolator, 100mm idler, reinforced brick, MM mild catch can, AEM 30-0334 wbo2, 600whp/630wtq

  2. #2
    Tuning Addict blindsquirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Meridian MS
    Posts
    8,118
    Current-gen F1 V6 (yuk) turbos run 18:1 CR (rules-limited), 5.5 BAR boost ("or more"), at 1.3-1.4 Lambda.

  3. #3
    Advanced Tuner JayRolla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Current-gen F1 V6 (yuk) turbos run 18:1 CR (rules-limited), 5.5 BAR boost ("or more"), at 1.3-1.4 Lambda.
    Holy!!
    2013 CTS-V Coupe M6 - 1 7/8" Headers, 3" x-pipe, stock mufflers, Airaid intake w/green filter, ID1050X injectors, DSXtuning flex fuel kit, DMS under hood tank, upgraded pump, 3/4" lines, griptec 2.4" pulley, solid isolator, 100mm idler, reinforced brick, MM mild catch can, AEM 30-0334 wbo2, 600whp/630wtq

  4. #4

  5. #5
    Senior Tuner
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    3,033
    Quote Originally Posted by JayRolla View Post
    Not sure of other cars that do this. But a 3.6l running 26psi and always keeps air/fuel at 1.0 lambda with no power enrichment for better emissions.

    No more accessory drive. The transmission mounted motor is a starter and generator. The air conditioning compressor driven by a 400-volt motor and the water pump has been moved inside the engine driven by the oil pumps saving 40lbs.

    The turbocharger has a 27-hp electric motor that spools it at low rpm achieving full boost in less than 1 sec at 2000rpm. This new electric turbo has no waste gate and the motor turns into a generator and harvests up to 15 horsepower, in the process of providing enough drag to keep the turbo from over spinning. That electricity then feeds into the electric motor.

    Pretty cool tech these car manufacturers are doing even on these old ICE cars. Glad they are not just thinking EV anymore.

    https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a6...brid-revealed/
    Supercharged/turbo charged watercraft have been that way for a while. Lots of boost and traditionally very lean AFR's.

    I'll bet in both situations getting fuel to them would make more power.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

  6. #6
    Advanced Tuner JayRolla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    Supercharged/turbo charged watercraft have been that way for a while. Lots of boost and traditionally very lean AFR's.

    I'll bet in both situations getting fuel to them would make more power.
    Yeah the article mentions how they went from a 3.0L to a 3.6L, boost up from 18 to 26psi and added an electric motor and only made 5hp more and no tq gain. Says they have to pull timing to keep cylinder temps down and they only did it to get better emissions. Would be cool to see what it could do with a richer AFR and add some timing.
    2013 CTS-V Coupe M6 - 1 7/8" Headers, 3" x-pipe, stock mufflers, Airaid intake w/green filter, ID1050X injectors, DSXtuning flex fuel kit, DMS under hood tank, upgraded pump, 3/4" lines, griptec 2.4" pulley, solid isolator, 100mm idler, reinforced brick, MM mild catch can, AEM 30-0334 wbo2, 600whp/630wtq

  7. #7
    Tuning Addict blindsquirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Meridian MS
    Posts
    8,118
    https://newsroom.porsche.com/en_US/2...ogy-31050.html

    While the regulations specify that the hybrid components and the gearbox must be cost-efficient standardised components, it allows great leeway in choosing the combustion engine. In principle, the following applies: Power output is capped at 520 kW (707 PS) with the minimum weight set at 180 kilograms including the periphery.
    [...]
    In the LMDh prototype, the power unit runs in conjunction with two turbochargers from the Dutch manufacturer Van der Lee, which increases the ambient pressure by just 0.3 bars.