Thread: Lobe whil in idle

Tuner in Training

Lobe whil in idle

I have a small cam 218/224/529/535 114+4 and I'm getting some pretty significant lobe, what do I need to play with to settle it down? I have adjusted the Idle to about 750 (I'm an A-4). I assume that the lobe is because the engine needs more air. Do I increase the "Idle Air Flow vs. ECT"? Or do I need to play with the "Primary VE vs. RPM vs. MAP"?
    2000 Z28 - A4 & 3.73 Gears 2800 Vig, Custom Shift Kit, LSX Intake, Hot Cam, Patriot Stage II Heads, Pacesetter LT Headers, TR-6 Plugs, 90 Dry Shot, MSD 8.5 Wires, 218/224 529/535 114+2 Cam

Tuner in Training

Re: Lobe whil in idle

Wow! I can't believe that no one is going to chime in on this one. Can no one help me understand how to tune lobe out?
    2000 Z28 - A4 & 3.73 Gears 2800 Vig, Custom Shift Kit, LSX Intake, Hot Cam, Patriot Stage II Heads, Pacesetter LT Headers, TR-6 Plugs, 90 Dry Shot, MSD 8.5 Wires, 218/224 529/535 114+2 Cam

Advanced Tuner

How to get a heads/cam car to idle
    this was originally posted on LS1tuning.com (which in turn was a re-post from
    LS1Tech.com)

all of this information is assuming the use of LS1Edit.....but since all the information is
    fairly generic and all you are doing is scaling tables and changing static values it
    should work 100% fine with HT Tuner. if the tables are not compatible with HP Tuner I
    would be grateful if someone would be able to adjust the information contained within
    this post

Without Further adieu........

Originally posted by NoGo on ls1tech.com
    Here are some things you can try.

Idle Limiters --> Idle Speed: 950
    Idle Limiters --> IAC Park Position: Raise all points from 40C and up to 21
    Idle Limiters --> Idle Air In Gear: All points 60C and up to 8.6
    Fuel --> Main VE Table: Multiply column 400 rpm by 60. Multiply column 800 by 80.
    Multiply column 1200 by 90.
    Ignition --> High Octane Table: Add 2 deg to all points 400 to 1000 RPM, .08 to .32
    g/sec

Once done with this program, start the car and check for surging. If the car surges,
    unplug the IAC and see if the surging stops. If the surging stops follow below.

Idle Limiters --> Idle Air in Gear --> All points above 60C to 9.2

Take the car for a drive and check your idle. If the car goes on cruise control reduce
    the Idle Air in Gear Table .2 (further if necessary). If the idle holds at 2000 RPM for
    extended periods of time reduce the P/N Airflow Decay table for all points above 10
    MPH by 5% (multiply by 95) until this stops. Be vary careful on this table.

If car keeps surging with the IAC unplugged two more things to try.

Multiply Main VE table by another 95% (total reduction of 85%). Repeat until the
    surging goes away, or until the car begins to hesitate when you take off.

High Octane Ignition Table. Reduce timing for all points 400 to 1000 RPM, .08 to .32
    g/sec by 2. Repeat, but don't reduce it any more than 6 degrees.

If your car still doesn't idle after this, then you have other problems,
    There is no replacement for displacement?&&sure there is, its called a Blower!

Tuner

Your getting that hard lope due to the 750 idle speed...

bump it to 800 and or start at 775, it will go away.
    01 Trans Am WS6, &&M6 ASC# 3201 420.5 HP 394.2 TQ&&TSP 228R, PRC 5.3 RHs, QTP\'s with catted Y, Asp, HS Rockers, Jantzer TB, !Baffles+sealed airbox,Factory Hurst w/LSS, Magnaflowatback, Direct-flo lid