Thread: Is it safe to emulate hpt in linux

Is it safe to emulate hpt in linux

Ive used linux extensively a couple years ago and switched to xp due to school stuff. Now i really don't need the xp's stuff except for hptuners. I really would like to convert my laptop over to a dedicated linux machine but like I said i use it for hptuners.

I have heard of a few people emulating it and I dont think i will have any problem doing it. My question, is it safe to use it like that? Has anyone done extensive tuning with an emulated hpt suite and if so, was there any problems?

I am just curious atm, i need to reinstall windows anyways so it thought about going with linux instead. I most likely will go w/ windows for hptuners though.

My SOM T/A's FQuick!
    2002 T/A: Torquer V3, Full Boltons, Suspension, M6, Lots of misc things.
    My Z/28's Cardomain (13.9 @ 101.1)
    1997 Z/28: A4, Some boltons, Lots of misc things.

well..try to emulate windows...and see if you can scan a vehicle or even just read a pcm
    cant hurt anything to read data..
    if it works well..then maybe try to write some data too...maybe
    -Scott -

Personally, I think youll have a hard time in WINE. I dont know how well it supports the .net framework.

Have you thought about virtualization? You could run VMware on linux and install winXP as a VMware session. Then youll actually be running windows so the program (software atleast) should work perfectly. Your biggest hurdle will probably be accessing the USB hardware through VMware.

- 2002 - M6 - Hurst/LSS - No TCS
    - 232/234 .595/.598 112 +2 - 7.4 PRs - Melling Lifters
    - Stage 1 DIY Heads - Milled .040 - 10.9:1 CR - PP Golds
    - Jethot LTs - DIY True Duals - Magnaflow 2.5 - SLP CME - Dual Cutouts
    - Motive 4.10s, Moser Axles, SLP cover, Built 10 bolt
    - TSP lid - FTRA - Ported TB - Ported MAF
    - HPTuners - LC1 - Matched SVO 30s
    - TTIIs - 275/315 - SFCs

Senior Tuner
    try to run it in Mono, HPT is a .NET 1.1 app, and i hear Mono is really close to be able to run most of 2.0 stuff. if not, vmware player with a tiny windows install should do.

Im working on making a bootable windows XP CD (Bart PE for those that are curious) that will boot the minimal amount of things needed off the cd to boot windows xp, and get you to a desktop. The only problem im having so far is getting .NET framework to load up. Once i get that worked out, then its just a matter of clicking that wrench or lightning bolt icon and you're home free.

Also usb drivers will need to be ironed out as well.

Or..if you have the hdd space, dual boot the system.