Thread: Clean your MAF! Get a lid!

Tuner

Clean your MAF! Get a lid!

Just a bit of info for some bored people to read.

If you don't want to read this, skip to the end!!

I decided to clean my MAF since my 98' T/A has 108K on it. 1 of the wires was quite dark, and the others were tan.

1stly, I got some good electrical contact cleaner. 2ndly, got a q-tip, sprayed it with some of the cleaners, and very, very softly, clean the wires. If you break one, your SOL. :-/

After I cleaned mine, I decided to put my stock air filter lid back on, reset the fuel trims, and off I went. Well, needless to say, my 1st thought after driving a few minutes was I screwed up my MAF. My LTFT were off by ass much as an extra 8% to the negative, and the car didn't "feel" right.

So I came back, put my whisper lid back on, reset fuel trims, and went out agian, they were back to being closer to what they were. Idle changed very little from before or after cleaning. But my fuel trims now seem to be more how I thought they always should look as RPM and MAP increased. ;D Before the cleaning they seemed to have an abrupt change in different spots.

Now, I wouldn't think that just the filter lid made that much of a difference in my LTFT, I think part of it was because my MAF no longer has screens. Coming off the lid is a somewhat quick 90% turn and short distance to the MAF. The stock lid must affect the air somehow that a descreened may doesn't like. The aftermarket lids transition much more nicely.

Case in point!!

Aftermarket lid
    Dirty MAF
    98\' T/A, filter/lid, Comp 212-218, 85mm MAF

Senior Tuner

Re: Clean your MAF! Get a lid!

Curves bends and other airflow upsetting things screw with the MAF's ability to read air.

Straight from GM, the SSR truck does not have a screen on the MAF. It also does not have bends in the air ducting either.

Ken