Thread: is 40deg the max ls1 timing?

Advanced Tuner

is 40deg the max ls1 timing?

in the low map areas of my timing tables im commanding upto 45deg but in the scanner the highest ive ever seen is 40. is 40 the max timing the ls1 computer can give?
    04 VY Commodore ute M6 ls1, 918 valve springs, TR6 plugs, genttrbb twin turbo kit, 60lb seimiens injectors, Bosh 044 fuel pump, SX fuel reg, PLX wideband,Full Castle Hill Exhaust with 2 1/2in dump pipes, 4in cats into twin 3in cat back (no merge), Ripshift, oz700 clutch and 3.73 diff gears

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Not that I'm aware of, I've seen over 50 on some trucks with the same pcm.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

I asked the same question quite some time back and yep it seems to be the 'hard' limit on our Aus OS as far as I can tell. If you use the bi-directional controls you can get over 40*, but not from the tune alone on the Aus Gen 3s, cannot speak for the US counterparts and the Gen 4s definitely go above 40*.

I am not too sure why this is the case, but at least in my findings yes 40* is your limit.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SSUte01
    I asked the same question quite some time back and yep it seems to be the 'hard' limit on our Aus OS as far as I can tell. If you use the bi-directional controls you can get over 40*, but not from the tune alone on the Aus Gen 3s, cannot speak for the US counterparts and the Gen 4s definitely go above 40*.

I am not too sure why this is the case, but at least in my findings yes 40* is your limit.
    thanks for that mate
    my car is an aussie ls1 commodore so i guess im stuck with the hard coded limit
    i tried to command more through the scanner like you said and i was able to go as hi as i wanted

hpt will there be a "fix" for this 40deg limit ?
    im currently running the lastest 2 bar os converted from 12225074

thanks
    04 VY Commodore ute M6 ls1, 918 valve springs, TR6 plugs, genttrbb twin turbo kit, 60lb seimiens injectors, Bosh 044 fuel pump, SX fuel reg, PLX wideband,Full Castle Hill Exhaust with 2 1/2in dump pipes, 4in cats into twin 3in cat back (no merge), Ripshift, oz700 clutch and 3.73 diff gears

Advanced Tuner
    If you want above 40 deg of timing when running at afr's other than 14.62 you could try the spark correction AFR Correction table .

I can command and see 44 + on my GTO and my 03 Tahoe does 50+
    2004 Yellow M6
    HPT Pro, LM1, SVEDE, 85mm FAST Manifold, 85mm TB, TR224 112 Cam, TEA ported/milled 243 heads, SW LT headers, SW Custom Side Exhaust, King springs, Pedders shocks, Hotchkis sways, Pedders & ES Bushings, DBA rotors, Hawk/Axxis pads, Stoptech lines, shiftlight, AP Sideskirts, AP rear bumper, 05 hood, SAP grilles, Hoens, dual aeroforce gauges
    Stock 309.8 RWHP 330.7 RWTQ
    Now ? RWHP ? RWTQ
    1 of 1014

2017 Audi A5 2.0T Cabriolet (bone stock) Daily/winter driver

Quote Originally Posted by Arron
    If you want above 40 deg of timing when running at afr's other than 14.62 you could try the spark correction AFR Correction table .
    Yeah I tried that, in fact that is how I first noticed it. It will still cap out at 40* max on all OSs that I have seen over here and that is all LS1s from 2000 to 2005. I am stumped as to why and in reality isn't really a limiting factor although I was keen to test something but the scanner allowed me to do that and it wouldn't have helped anyways.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SSUte01
    Yeah I tried that, in fact that is how I first noticed it. It will still cap out at 40* max on all OSs that I have seen over here and that is all LS1s from 2000 to 2005. I am stumped as to why and in reality isn't really a limiting factor although I was keen to test something but the scanner allowed me to do that and it wouldn't have helped anyways.
    Ok , the 40* limit isn't in the main tables but an absolute limit on timing on some of our operating systems .

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    You should consider posting the file you are having problems going over 40* of timing with.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"