Thread: A4 computer with a TH400 Trans

Tuner in Training

A4 computer with a TH400 Trans

I blew up my A4 and I am going to a TH400. I have heard that there is problems with using an automatic file in our PCM's. Does anyone specifically know what needs to be changed to achieve normal performance. Thanks

Senior Tuner

Re: A4 computer with a TH400 Trans

What are you trying to do? I have a TH400 in our race car and I have no problems at all. I just deleted all the a$ reference codes, I also had to convert the TH400 cable output to VSS and my speedo works perfectly. What questions do you have?

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by 12secSS
    What are you trying to do? I have a TH400 in our race car and I have no problems at all. I just deleted all the a$ reference codes, I also had to convert the TH400 cable output to VSS and my speedo works perfectly. What questions do you have?

I may have been mislead. I was under the impression that the PCM would have no referencing what gear the trans is in. Thus there are more than one table that controls fuel and spark in the different areas (park and in drive). Is this not the case or your experience. I was also under the impression that you have to flash the PCM with a 6 speed file. What parts were neccesary to get the signal to the PCM from the trans? Thanks for the help.

Senior Tuner

The PCM uses the neutral safety switch to figure out that you are not in park or reverse. Just tap into your OEM harness for that and wire it in to your new shifter ... or copy your data files from the P/N to Drive section, I also did this. ;D I posted this in the trans section of LS1Tech, hope this helps.

Use the speedometer items from a 4L80 (3 speed trans) truck, part numbers were previously posted (GM# 8655291, 8655315), they work perfectly on ex-A4 cars. Just cut the wires and splice them to the connector (p/n: 12085498)

I used my HPTuners software to delete all the references to the A4 trans and it has worked great, you can also use a manual trans program or ECM, but the speedo signal will need to be multiplied by 2.5 to read correctly.

If you use the OEM park/neutral safety wires (connect together purple and dark green) and the reverse wires (connect together brown and light green), the computer will know the trans is in a drive gear.

Tuner in Training

Quote Originally Posted by 12secSS
    The PCM uses the neutral safety switch to figure out that you are not in park or reverse. Just tap into your OEM harness for that and wire it in to your new shifter ... or copy your data files from the P/N to Drive section, I also did this. ;D I posted this in the trans section of LS1Tech, hope this helps.

I appreciate the help. I will try all of your suggestions. Thanks.