Thread: New tune finished - need advice

Tuner in Training

New tune finished - need advice

I finally got my tune finished today quite happy with the result full time open loop 440 rwhp car is 383 6 speed, 232/238 cam, ported LS6 heads, 42lb injectors, FAST 90/90, pulls nice , idle is good, occasionally dips but overall feels good.This is the first major tune I have done could some one possibly take a look and see if they see anything that might cause trouble down the track or if somethings been done incorrectly. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.
    Colorado on the way.....

Tuner in Training
    Well now Ive had a few days to drive around it seems I have some heat soak issues, if I park up for a few minutes then start off again it stalls and carries on until it gets some air flow and cools down.
    It also seems to drive a lot smoother when the outside temps are cooler.
    Is there any disadvantages in setting the bias table to reference the ECT only?
    Colorado on the way.....

Need a log. Is that SAE RWHP? I would expect something like that to make a little more towards 500 RWHP. Your PE and timing tables look a little hacked. No reason for a "table top" timing table unless you do not want to optimize the car through the load range.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Advanced Tuner
    octane tables and PE table looks strange for me ...

Tuner in Training
    Yes its SAE RWHP on dyno dynamics dyno. Here is a log from some varied driving. What makes the octane and PE tables look strange? It runs 12.8 once it drops into PE at 3500rpm and drops off to 12.6 right at 6200rpm. I still have some bugs to sort like some light throttle surge and some economy issues ( 300km to 60 litres ).
    Colorado on the way.....

The commanded fueling at the low end, if I remember correctly, was quite lean (not sure why it was like this). The timing table was just a flat setting from too low of a g/cyl across too large an RPM range IMO.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Tuner in Training
    Well now another issue has reared its head, car starts fine idles fine for about 30 to 40 seconds then all of a sudden the revs rise to about 1800 for 10 seconds the settles then rises to 1800 then drops again, nothing has changed the car has sat for about 4 days without moving and now it does this. Any ideas why?
    Colorado on the way.....

Advanced Tuner
    It's been cooler over the last two days so could be the intake temps being lower have had an affect .

Tuner in Training
    Its just strange that it jumps up for no apparent reason. It idles spot on at dead cold start up the wide band shows it idling at 13.5 when cold, I have the IAT sensor mounted on the OTR im front of the filter because I was getting severe heat soak from the aluminium.
    Colorado on the way.....

Advanced Tuner
    Do you have a log showing what it's doing ?

The mass airflow pid and oil pressure PID's aren't needed and perhaps log the wideband data (if it's hooked up) and Coolant advance .

I also noticed that your base running airfolw numbers are fairly low (lower than my stock car) i am guessing you have an after market throttle body with a fairly large hole in the blade .

And perhaps pull a little timing in the 1600rpm 0.48 - 0.60 range of the main timing table .
    Last edited by Arron; 02-06-2009 at 08:21 PM. Reason: more information

Tuner in Training
    Yeah it has a 90mm throttle that has a 5mm hole from the last tuner. What would you like me to log and I will log it on the way home from work shortly. I can log the wideband now, through the egr.
    Colorado on the way.....

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by R32WA View Post
    Yeah it has a 90mm throttle that has a 5mm hole from the last tuner. What would you like me to log and I will log it on the way home from work shortly. I can log the wideband now, through the egr.
    Seeing what it's doing when the rpm is misbehaving would be interesting .
    I haven't really played around with cammed cars (and i am not a professional tuner), i just gave someone a hand with their stock cube 224/228 108 lsa cammed car .

Tuner in Training
    Well I seemed to have rid myself of my last lot of problems things are travelling along pretty sweet for the moment, just took some fine tuning on the RAF.
    Now Im working on a bit of economy tuning but Im running into issues with the IAT giving greif. In the morning with the cooler air temps it runs around the 13.8 on the wideband then lean cruise brings it up to mid 14s, in the afternoons when the air heats up it sits around 15.3 before lean cruise. Now when lean cruise kicks in in the afternoons it goes to 16.5s and bucks and surges. Im guessing the major issue is the IAT fuel swings. Whats the consenus on fixing this one?
    Colorado on the way.....