Thread: John Lingenfelter badly hurt...

John Lingenfelter badly hurt...

For those who dont know him.. he designs very high performance, cutting edge street and race cars - i.e. the famous Lingenfelter Corvette and the latest of his toys - the 6 second Ecotec Cavalier. Here's the only news so far:

High drama marks still-unfinished season finale
    Matt Hartford came from behind to claim the Modified championship at the Mazda NHRA Sport Compact World Finals, sealing the title with a semifinal defeat of Ray Lochhead, coupled with a stunning semifinal loss by incoming points leader Steph Papadakis. Hartford's joy was short-lived as just behind him Pro teammate John Lingenfelter suffered a terrible top-end crash while losing to R.J. Simrock in the Pro semifinals. Lingenfelter's Summit Cavalier crossed the centerline and smashed into the opposite-lane guardwall, and rode the guardwall into the top-end sandtrap. Lingenfelter was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment. Lingenfelter's crash clinched the Pro championship for Grant Downing, but the race was subsequently called due to darkness and will be completed Monday morning.

Last word I had from somebody at the track was he was airlifted and unconsious. John has been a major influence to hot rodding and racing for many years. Say a little prayer for him...

Business Network Solutions - for all your PC, network, printer and computer security needs.

Tuner

Re: John Lingenfelter badly hurt...

Any Updates?
    &&-=#Determined to figure out the PCM in my 2k Impala#=-&&http://www.lynoise.com

Pro driver John Lingenfelter, severely injured in a racing accident in Sunday's semifinal round, will undergo surgery Tuesday at Pomona Valley Hospital as doctors try to fully determine the extent of his injuries to better treat him. He is in critical but stable condition and heavily sedated by the medical team to prevent further possible complications prior to surgery.

"The good news that I can share with everyone is that John was receptive to the presence of his wife, Cindy, last night, which is a good sign," said team spokesperson Brent Malone. "We ask that everyone offer their prayers and thoughts to John for a safe and speedy recovery."

NHRASportCompact.com will serve as an official venue for updates on Lingenfelter's condition, and the team has requested that fellow racers, fans, and sponsors please not contact either the hospital or the team shop for details.

Cards and other messages can be sent to the shop at 1557 Winchester Road, Decatur, IN 46733.

Lingenfelter was racing R.J. Simrock in the semifinals of the Mazda NHRA Sport Compact World Finals at Pomona Raceway when he lost control of his Summit Racing Equipment Chevy Cavalier, crossed the centerline, and hit the guardwall in the opposite lane. According to witnesses, it appeared that Lingenfelter may have been knocked unconscious upon impact, as his car proceeded off the end of the track under power before coming to rest against a safety barrier at track's end.
    Business Network Solutions - for all your PC, network, printer and computer security needs.

I doubt there is a car board out there that doesn't have a lengthy thread about John and the accident.

I wish him well.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

latest update:

Nov. 4: John Lingenfelter remains in stable condition at Pomona Valley Hospital recovering from injuries sustained in a racing accident Oct. 27 at the Mazda NHRA Sport Compact Finals presented by Toyo Tires at Pomona Raceway. Lingenfelter is being treated for a broken neck, broken ribs, a collapsed lung, and a possible head injury.

Doctors removed the drainage tube from Lingenfelter's collapsed lung and are working to wean him off breathing assistance. He remains heavily sedated for pain, but is responsive to stimuli.

"John will open his eyes when people talk to him," said Tom Cress of Lingenfelter Performance Engineering, "and he is able to move all of his limbs. The doctors have told us that John's body has undergone a lot of trauma and it's going to take some time for his body to rejuvenate itself. His color is really good and his vital signs are excellent. The doctors are ecstatic about his condition compared to how he was when he first came in. He's progressing very well.

"They've labeled his head injury as a concussion, but they won't know more about it until he's more awake. It's not really a big concern of theirs now. They just want him to rest up and allow his body to begin to heal itself."

"The doctors are not actively keeping him sedated, so as soon as he's ready to wake up, he will," said Summit Racing teammate Matt Hartford, who has spoken to Lingenfelter's wife, Cindi, and daughters Kerri and Kelly. "The doctors are very optimistic. Right now, it's just a healing process; we have to let time take its time."

The immediate plans call for Lingenfelter to remain in Southern California for at least another two weeks before he can be transferred home to Indiana, where he most likely will end up at well-regarded Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis.

Realizing that many of his friends will be in attendance in Pomona for the Automobile Club of Southern California NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series event, the family reminds everyone ahead of time that Lingenfelter is in the Intensive Care Unit and unable to accept visitors. The family appreciates your understanding and cooperation.

Potential Tuner

MR John Lingenfelter Passed Away 12 25 03 A great Loss

Tuner

Yup, very sad,, i live close to his shop here in decater indiana, i saw his vehicle that he was driving its pretty mangled.. i still cant get over how much those eco tech 4 cylinders make.... for a while i was woried about them shutting down the shop, they have made a huge impact on gm performance that only a few others have been able to keep up with....
    fast as fast can be..... When i hit the nos, youll be sayin... WAIT4ME!!!!!