Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stock plugs on LNF+high boost+meth. picslol

Stock plugs on LNF+high boost+meth. picslol

Bad idea was bad, swapped in some 3787's today, car's an absolute dream now.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by pantherqs View Post
    Bad idea was bad, swapped in some 3787's today, car's an absolute dream now.

are the 3787s colder? whats the gap and where u get them and complete parts number please

NGK 3787's. Iridium copper core IIRC, 1 heat range colder than stock. Stock is 5, these are 6. I forget the whole number but I've been running them a week now also.
    '12 Camaro T3 2SS/RS LS3 M6, SLP TVS 2300, Flex Fuel

Advanced Tuner
    how much meth do you run and what's your afr on and off meth?

Advanced Tuner
    I'm also curious about boost pressure, afr and timing in the high load cell.

water/meth should be cooling everything way down. It's kinda hard to tell from the picture, but the plugs look like a typical shade of brown with a hint of black at the ends (disregarding the carbon on the threads). However it looks like the whole plug body got excessively hot?

How do others diagnose these plugs?
    2013 Cruze Eco - CAI, Catless DP, Catless MP, ZZP FMIC, Ported Intake Manifold, Mild tune (17psi), best 43.5mpg, 175ftlbs (pid)

2008 Solstice GXP - ZFR 6758, catless, AEM stage 1 water/methanol injection, Hahn Racecraft Intercooler, solo street race cat back, LE5 throttle body - 307whp on a dyno dynamics (stock turbo numbers), 100 octane EFR6758 numbers - 463whp/454wtq

2009 HHR SS automatic--- 350 HP - 450' LBS TORQUE,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDZgoSN8Gk0
    Mostly stock - K&N air intake, TTech engine mount, 2nd cat 'cored', E47.5 tune, Lighter - wheels/tires/rotors.
    13.0's @ 110MPH, street tires, 12.28 @ 112.67 best on slicks, 1.7s 60' ETs

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
    I'm also curious about boost pressure, afr and timing in the high load cell.

water/meth should be cooling everything way down. It's kinda hard to tell from the picture, but the plugs look like a typical shade of brown with a hint of black at the ends (disregarding the carbon on the threads). However it looks like the whole plug body got excessively hot?

How do others diagnose these plugs?
    The electrodes and insulators look normal to slightly rich. The plugs bodies look like they were overheated. Rich A/F with the meth being added but lots of timing and boost pressure was creating too much heat. I might try I range cooler in my car next time I change the plugs I might try those especially because I am running 24-25 psi and a 13.0 A/F.

rich AF plus Meth = high heat?

Any car Ive run meth on has had a significant decrease in EGT's. Like going from 1600's to 1300's on a long pull.
    Last edited by BackyardTurbo_FTW; 03-08-2010 at 01:35 PM.

Tuner in Training
    someone was telling me that the plugs from an srt4 and lng are interchangeable.....anyone else heard of this? if true should open up alot mor plugs for us to use

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by StageZero View Post
    someone was telling me that the plugs from an srt4 and lng are interchangeable.....anyone else heard of this? if true should open up alot mor plugs for us to use
    6509's are the plug of choice in the srt 4. I was told this by the Realtune Performance guys. Whick is a 1 step colder NGK but not the OEM replacement 1 step colder.
    09 Cobalt SS/TC

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BackyardTurbo_FTW View Post
    rich AF plus Meth = high heat?

Any car Ive run meth on has had a significant decrease in EGT's. Like going from 1600's to 1300's on a long pull.
    Normally that would be the case but he may be running comparatively very lean with a ton of timing. The plugs look overheated on the outside but a pretty dark tan on the inside.

To the OP, are those the OEM plugs (original ones) and how many miles on them? How many miles tuned on them?

My car EATS plugs on higher boost, which is why I ask

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by BackyardTurbo_FTW View Post
    To the OP, are those the OEM plugs (original ones) and how many miles on them? How many miles tuned on them?

My car EATS plugs on higher boost, which is why I ask
    Mine too. I wonder how much of the crown of the piston we are removing with all that heat sometimes LOL.

LMAO!! So true, yet not funny lol!

Sorry about the wait, been busy lately. The plugs are oem delco's with about 15k miles on them, all of them tuned. Running 400cc/min 100% meth and 16-17 deg up top when I race, stock timing around town. Coulda gotten away with more but stopped gaining any noticeable power on the dyno. Ran around with the wg adjustment for about a day or two, spiked 26 leveled off to 21 and held through redline. Gained absolutely nothing but hot air so I put it back to stock and now hit 22 then level off at 20 near redline. And yeah, my egt's on meth always plummet, so the high speed glazing going on there doesn't make much sense to me. I've also noticed my datalogged egt's vs. actual egt's are always off by about 200 deg under full load, I'm assuming thats because our's are just calculated and not actually measured? Which seems pretty worthless.
    The one thing I'm worried about is I somehow lost 1-2lb/min of airflow, I'm not sure if thats because of the plugs or my maf or something else being outta whack. Gonna do a compression test on her tomorrow and see how badly destroyed this thing is. Speaking of which, anyone have any idea how to disable the one-click-auto-crank-till-start thingy on our cars temporarily?

I thought the auto start released if you turn the key to off? Never tried it though.

Quote Originally Posted by cmiller8006 View Post
    6509's are the plug of choice in the srt 4. I was told this by the Realtune Performance guys. Whick is a 1 step colder NGK but not the OEM replacement 1 step colder.
    Problem with the 6509's is that they are gapped .044 out of the box & delicate to adjust. My 3787's were .031 out of the box.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Iam Broke View Post
    I thought the auto start released if you turn the key to off? Never tried it though.
    Yes it does. I did it on accident yesterday

Advanced Tuner
    or while in neutral, you can just let off the clutch lol. I wish I had 20psi boost at redline . I need to buy a downpipe. your not running very much timing for using 100% meth.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
    your not running very much timing for using 100% meth.
    This I know, like I said, stopped seeing gains and didn't have much time left on the dyno to figure out why, not a fan of street tuning timing. If everything checks out tomorrow she'll be getting gobs of it once it warms up.