Thread: question on spark retard

question on spark retard

I was logging sum runs up to about 60 mph today and I was looking at my spark retard in the histrograms, in one block I had a 5 and in another I had a 2. The rest were all 0. Should I be concerned about the 5, I use a TRC1 retard unit set on the #2 setting. I get no sound of detonation. Also when I use the other scanning settings, the spark retard doesn't show up. Is that because the histrogram is more accurate. Thanks
    1996 Camaro 3.8 M5 to A4 conversion, VS cam, 3" exhaust, 9:5.1 forged pistons, Clev.77 bearings, Comp 130lb springs/.105 pushrods, Manely modded retainers, Walbro 255, PLX wideband,65lb injectors, Every Suspesion mod. alot of other mods- GT35R Turbo.http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2441235
    2008 Silverado LTZ 6.0 L76 Dynomax exhaust K&N intake

Re: question on spark retard

It is something you need to figure out. Wether it is real or not, you PCM is pulling a lot of spark. What is it you are looking at? Average, max, min, or last. You need to figure out if it is a one time event or is it consistant. Log a few more runs. Play back the log and look to see if it is in the same cells consistently. If you would like, export your data to a file and send me the file. I would be happy to evaluate it for you. Send as many exported files as you have. I set up a spreadsheet to evaluate V6 log files. I can send you the spreadsheet if you like. Let me know.
    2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
    3.6 V6
    More MODs than Stock

2018 Ram rebel
    5.7 Hemi V8
    Stock

I dont have the max ,average ,last, table in my settings? I just noticed that , I think I will be sending out a email. Once I get some more runs in I will send you my log. My gauge is reading around 10 psi and I think when it tries to go past that , thats when i'm getting my knock.
    1996 Camaro 3.8 M5 to A4 conversion, VS cam, 3" exhaust, 9:5.1 forged pistons, Clev.77 bearings, Comp 130lb springs/.105 pushrods, Manely modded retainers, Walbro 255, PLX wideband,65lb injectors, Every Suspesion mod. alot of other mods- GT35R Turbo.http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2441235

Advanced Tuner

to get to the max/avg/min vals right click somewhere on the table and select it..

errrum..

ditch the trc1..

you dont need it..

see where you are getting knock in the histogram at wot and pull timing in that general area till the knock goes away..

if you cut the table up into 4 quardrents it will pretty much be the lower right quadrent is what you will want to mess with..

once you get it diled in you will be ready to go..

good luck! feal free to ask if you need any clarification.. its 2:30 am where i am at and i need sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    -Bill
    2000 Camaro V6 Boltons and a tune

thanks for the info., found it.

I ran some numbers from ssms5411's log file and cam up with this in my tuning spreadsheet.

Notice the negitive numbers ???

I am not sure but I think the TRC1 retard unit is confusing something.

Also, it apears the car is not getting a lot of power (ssms5411, let me know if you think I am wrong about the HP) which leads me to believe that it is really getting a lot of negitive numbers in the spark advance. Any help would be appreciated.
    2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
    3.6 V6
    More MODs than Stock

2018 Ram rebel
    5.7 Hemi V8
    Stock

Advanced Tuner

???

god dam..

ok.. assuming the trc-1 is doing what it is ment to do those numbers are "fesable" in the sence that if you have it at like the higher settings.. and are making 9-10 lbs.. of boost the nit "could" pull that much provided the right conditions..

what setting do you have the trc-1 on??
    and how much boost do you see peek?

ditch that mofo..

-Bill

I was just about to ask Missing2 to help out. Thanks.

I agree, ditch it.

We can help you tune the spark table to dial this in.

2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
    3.6 V6
    More MODs than Stock

2018 Ram rebel
    5.7 Hemi V8
    Stock

Yea , i think the -neg value shouldn't be there but i think the numbers are right. Right now I have the TRC1 set on the #2 setting which i think retards the timing 12 degrees. I'll (carefully log ) some runs with the TRc1 set at zero, also if you guys are willing to help me ditch the TRc1, i'll certainly do that. I think the car is making more power than 215hp, I have raced a 2002 Z28 A4 from a stop and a roll, everytime up to 60-70 either I'm ahead or their by my side. I know when I put the smaller pulley on at 9-10psi I got some detonation from the engine that I could actually here and that was with the TRC1 set at #1 setting. That is why I turned it up to the # 2 setting. It is starting to get cooler here(AZ) so I think I dont need as much retard. Let me know what you guys think and what tables I need to work with and what settings I need to ajust as in -1 or +1 since the log seems to reading the opposite. Thanks Steve
    P.s. I should be getting on a dyno here(hopefully) by the end of this month.

Has anyone else seen the log kick out negitive numbers? Could they actually be possitive but just showing negitive? Does the TRC1 take the timing out after the PCM or does it trick the PCM into lowering it? If it takes it out after, then the numbers could just be showing negitive and actually be possitive. If it tricks the PCM, then the numbers would be too possitive (reported as negitive) and it would not make sence.
    2013 Jeep Wrangler JK
    3.6 V6
    More MODs than Stock

2018 Ram rebel
    5.7 Hemi V8
    Stock

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by arthansen
    Has anyone else seen the log kick out negitive numbers? Could they actually be possitive but just showing negitive? Does the TRC1 take the timing out after the PCM or does it trick the PCM into lowering it? If it takes it out after, then the numbers could just be showing negitive and actually be possitive. If it tricks the PCM, then the numbers would be too possitive (reported as negitive) and it would not make sence.
    the trc1
    it tricks it.. it is wired into "something" ( i dont know beucase i never used one)

then you select a number 1-5 I belive.. and for each # of boost it pulls that many degrees of timing.. or so it clames..

so if you are making 6 #'s and have it on 2 in "theory" 6X2=> it shuld pull 12 degrees.. but that shuld not get you into negative timing..

however.. there is something "funny" in this case because it seems to be pulling much much more.. this may or may not be the trc1.. could be related to something else.. its hard to tell..

-Bill

The TRC1 wires into the Icm, the car is running really strong, so i'm thinking the software is just reading as a neg. number. where is a admins. when you need one ;D Help please

Well I found out that it was just putting a neg # if front of the numbers and the numbers should be correct. I try and log some more runs this week.

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by ssms5411
    Well I found out that it was just putting a neg # if front of the numbers and the numbers should be correct. I try and log some more runs this week.
    ??? take a screenshot of your spark maps and post them please.. i am not understandng what you did..
    -Bill