Thread: WTF, VCM scanner log file and scanner not working?

Tuner in Training

WTF, VCM scanner log file and scanner not working?

I need some help with a problem, and I'm not that familiar with computers, only basic stuff. It's kind of long, but I'm telling you EVERYTHING I did.

Ok, we'll I took my car out (2000 Camaro V8 ) and was going to log data for tuning purposes, so I opened up the VCM scanner, hit the record button, and it started to log, stopped it, and saved it. I got home to open the file to view it, it was a CFG file and a window popped up asking what program do I wish to open this file with (which has never happened to me before), so I chose the VCM scanner, so I opened it with that and a window would pop up with the title "Open Log Data Error" and it says "458 Variable uses an Automation type not supported by in Visual Basic".

So then I decided to try another run, so I reopened the VCM scanner and hit log, a window popped up saying that I didn't have the parameters on the table display that I wanted to log, so I went to the table display to look at it and there was nothing on it, liked someone had cleared it, so picked all the stuff that was on the chart before it screwed up on me, so I hit the log button and it started logging of course, stopped it, saved it, and tried to open it, and it wouldn't play back my log file.

What's the deal with this?
    I just upgraded to the new software not to long ago because I had another problem with HPTuners.......

Senior Tuner

Re: WTF, VCM scanner log file and scanner not work

The .cfg file is a logger parameters list. It is not the log.
    The scanner/logger is associated with the .hpl log files
    and will auto-open those. The .cfg is something else,
    the scanner loads its list-of-things-to-catch from it and
    that's it. Trying to read it like a log, I guess would be
    "interesting". Though probably not worth repeating.

Tuner in Training

ok I found out that I saved it through the save config as instead of save data as, but I still can't figure out why my scanner won't work. I was told to try the default cfg. but when I saved my "logs" under cfg. and tried to run them with VCM scanner, it changed the VCM scanner files and it also changed the default cfg. to a VCM scanner file so that won't work either.....

Tuner in Training

so I fixed my scanner file problem, now I'm triyng to fix the scanner itself, I uninstalled and reinstalled the software and clicked on the default cfg. and it says "incompatable log file version"....

almost sounds like you have accidently associated the .cfg extension with VCM Scanner.
    I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training

well when I saved the log files through save config. as, I tried to open it, and a window popped up asking what program do I want to run this program with and I chose VCM scanner and it must have changed the default cfg. file also because the icon looks like a sheet of paper with the yellow lightning bolt on it...... :huh2:

yeah, you need to fix that up again. On a file browsing window its under Tools->Folder options, filetypes (winXP). check the settings for both .cfg and .hpl (and delete the refence to VCM Scanner for the .cfg)

Chris...

I count sheep in hex...

Tuner in Training

ok it says that the cfg AND hpl files are open with the VCM scanner.....