Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing the RPM and Speed limiters (4 cyl 2.2/2.4L & 2.2 Ecotec engines & I6 4.2)

Removing the RPM and Speed limiters (4 cyl 2.2/2.4L & 2.2 Ecotec engines & I6 4.2)

I though a sticky on the subject was a good idea.

Note: in the pics below the stock values are shown for a calibration (12216489) that requires the tables in Step 3 & 4 to be changed.

Step 1: Change the RPM limits to whatever you want

Step 2: Change the Speed limits to whatever you want

Step 3: Raise the spark ramp out values so spark does not decrease at high RPM/Speed (not required for all calibrations)

Step 4: Raise the TCS High RPM/VSSvalues so that 1,2,3,4 cylinders do not fuel cut at high RPM/Speed (not required for all calibrations)

Last edited by Chris@HPTuners; 07-10-2006 at 11:13 PM.
    I count sheep in hex...

Potential Tuner

Removing Speed Limiters on 2.2 Litre Ecotec Engines

My VIN number is 1G1JC52F337125587. Does your software support the calibration in my car for me to be able to do this?
    Second, I've read the forums regarding the GM Supercharger Kit #17800003 for 03 Ecotec equipped Cavaliers. If I were to remove the speed limiter on my car, would the speed limiter be restored after the dealer reflashes the PCM? If that is the case I wouldn't be able to download the saved file with the speed limiter defeat values in the tables you mention in your "sticky".
    Finally I noticed the values you give in the "sticky" that are in green. Are those the default values for the listed calibration, or are they the new changed values you need to enter into each listed field?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    if your vehicle is on the supported vehicles page http://www.hptuners.com/products/vcmsuite_vehicles.php its supported, if not then its not currently supported.

As for the #'s the ones in the screenshots are the stock figures in that particular cal file...just read the directions & he tells you what needs to be done to rid yourself of all of the speed limiters(in some cals there are some 10 different speed limiters like the one above)
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

the GM s/c reflash for the ecotec is not supported, if you remove your speed limiter and then get the s/c reflash done it will overwrite the speedlimiter again, then you will not be able to change it back again.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

just thought i'd let you know chris, you should change the thread title to I6s as well.. I had to go through the same process...

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    done, thanks for the heads up.

no worries just here to help...could you help me with my TCC get to know how ;P

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

Potential Tuner

GM Supercharger Kit #17800003

In reference to the GM Supercharger Kit #17800003 and this HP Tuner kit. Will this program work with my Sunfire with the supercharger kit installed? Also can I use this program to install the software upgrade that comes with the supercharger?

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    what year/engine combo in the sunfire?

Potential Tuner

engine

its a 2003 Pontiac Sunfire with the 2.2 Ecotec engine with the 5 Spd tranny. I'm going to put the supercharger on first, add a cold air intake, change the spark plugs to colder ones probly about 1 degree colder maybe 2. do a full coil over suspension and go from there. this is my project car until I get back to the states.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    as per the supported vehicles page "Our product is designed to work for vehicles off of the show room floor with stock calibrations. If your vehicle is a hybrid or has a physically different PCM/VCM than it originally came with your vehicle might not be supported."

Tuner in Training
    im still having issues with my speed limiter

step 1 . i left the rpm limits alone as im happy with the stock rev limiter for the time being

step 2. changed speed limiter (not speed limiter 2) to cutoff 255 and resume 250

step 3. put rpm drive/pn to 65535 and vss not rev to 255

step 4. am i to change the enable/disable vss to the different values as well ie change the 106mpg to the 255 and then disable to 250mph

thanks

* not sure if it matters but i totally zero'd my spark retard vs torque reduction to 0 for each cell as well

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by LAFNGAS
    im still having issues with my speed limiter

step 1 . i left the rpm limits alone as im happy with the stock rev limiter for the time being

step 2. changed speed limiter (not speed limiter 2) to cutoff 255 and resume 250

step 3. put rpm drive/pn to 65535 and vss not rev to 255

step 4. am i to change the enable/disable vss to the different values as well ie change the 106mpg to the 255 and then disable to 250mph

thanks

* not sure if it matters but i totally zero'd my spark retard vs torque reduction to 0 for each cell as well
    From looking at the scans you sent in the pcm is cutting neither spark nor fuel so its probably not a pcm speed limiter your hitting.

Make the changes as shown.

Russ Kemp

Tuner in Training
    since the latest update, I cant disable the Top Speed limiter either!!!

I changed everything I had before (was one of the original that helped Chris locate the limiters), and I still hit one at 108ish.... seems like spark.
    Brian
    SpdRcrZ
    SloGoat
    '02 Turbo LD9 Z24 [email protected] 420whp@15psi
    '96 Turbo W41 Z24 13.22 @ 108.94 11psi
    '04 LS1 GTO 13.7

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ K
    Make the changes as shown.

Russ Kemp
    Thanks Russ we both missed it

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpdRcrZ
    since the latest update, I cant disable the Top Speed limiter either!!!

I changed everything I had before (was one of the original that helped Chris locate the limiters), and I still hit one at 108ish.... seems like spark.
    Post your tune & a scan of it hitting the limiter.

Tuner in Training
    was looking for the scan, but I guess I didnt save it. We reflashed it again tonight (many times actually, lol) and its gone now. might have been a glitch with my file I saved. False alarm.
    Brian
    SpdRcrZ
    SloGoat
    '02 Turbo LD9 Z24 [email protected] 420whp@15psi
    '96 Turbo W41 Z24 13.22 @ 108.94 11psi
    '04 LS1 GTO 13.7

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by SpdRcrZ
    was looking for the scan, but I guess I didnt save it. We reflashed it again tonight (many times actually, lol) and its gone now. might have been a glitch with my file I saved. False alarm.
    geeze brian wtf

good to hear you got it done

Tuner in Training

super charge issue

Naturally the day we get the supercharger in for our 98 cavalier our mechanic is gone to the show in houston so me (the fabricator) and another guy from the crew (appolsty/interior guy) slapped the supercharger on it before taking it out to the track and eliminiated the vss via the cutting of the red wire. Now on a 98 cavalier is there any techy that knows of a better SAFER way to get around this cause i know this will shut off my speedometer and im not so much for that. I would still like to have my speedometer working and i dont like the whole attaching a switch to it to flip back and forth is there any programmer or anything that is compatible with a 98 cavalier that will prevent us from topping out at 108? also im affraid that simply slashing the read wire we will still top out at 108...any help is appreciated due to the fact the car needs to be done soon and mechanic will be out for 2 months lol. thnx