Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.3 S10 swap idle issue

Advanced Tuner
    There is some channels missing and they are so spread out I am dizzy trying to scroll up and down looking at the data while playing the log LOL.

Please upload the tune used to create the log

Tuner in Training

5.3 tune BTR cam

5.3 tune
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by psw71 View Post
    also when i driving through my neighborhood holding steady around 22-25mph it bucks alot. you can see that about the last 5-8 minutes of this log. feels like im on and off the throttle.
    The Channels list is incomplete as I mentioned. TPS% is in idle routine below 1.6%. The bucking is because it transitions to the Main Spark table and back to the Idle table as TPS% crosses that threshold.

Either make your Main table and Idle table the same from 1400 and below, or lower the Advance Base> min TPS% which is currently 1.19%. I recommend adjusting the spark tables.

Your in Gear and P/N idle spark table is wacky, a cam motor is VERY sensitive to timing and having 5* at 1200rpm with 18* on either side in the table is..... just wrong. maybe it was a fat finger keystroke mistake IDK but both idle tables are set like that.

Tuner in Training
    I changed the in gear and P/N table. The main table are you talking about the High and low Octane tables?

Advanced Tuner
    Yes the Main spark table is the hi-lo tables and the TPS% threshold for switching to the idle table is 1.19%. Watching the log you see how you are crossing that and the timing is jumping around?
    Changing the 5* will help but the issue is the wide difference between the Hi-Lo table and the idle table at the Cylinder airmass of light throttle.

Tuner in Training
    Okay thank you I will make some changes and get back with Tomorrow. Do you think that will slow the idle down to the take speed?

Tuner in Training
    i meant target speed

Advanced Tuner
    i meant target speed
    I would really wait to say why the idle is not hitting the target until the Channels I posted are used and we can look at the IAC count and the rest of it. TB is a DBC and the BRA, base running airflow is set high for that. You do not 2x that table to help stabilize idle, it may need some adjustment but you start by getting the IAC idle set to 30-40 position count and adjust the setscrew on the throttle stop to bring that IAC step count in line.

You would start out by setting the BRA back to stock values THEN adjust the IAC count for 30-40. In that order. If you are not familiar with the setscrew I speak of, manually open the TB, see the tab that "stops" the TB on the cable connection side? there is a small setscrew that is used to adjust the initial TB opening. Your stock TB is hard to get to, it is underneath that stop. It can be difficult to adjust while engine is running with all the moving parts/belt and once you see the effect a full turn has in the scanner you can get pretty close estimating what is needed. You have to shut key off then make adjustment, but when it restarts you have to wait for about 90 seconds for all the startup air modifiers to finish. This is where some people screw up, they restart the engine then start messing with the setscrew before the engine re-stabilizes, impatient. The ECM doesn't control the TB blade like a DBW so the IAC valve is ECM controlled and this is very important to get right.

Tuner in Training
    sounds good I will work on adding those channels tomorrow and get a log. Do you need a log just idling or driving to check it? thanks again for all of your help. Very excited to learn this!

Advanced Tuner
    sounds good I will work on adding those channels tomorrow and get a log. Do you need a log just idling or driving to check it? thanks again for all of your help. Very excited to learn this!
    For the first log a cold start, i know it is hot here and probably where you are too lol, but any ECT temperature less than 120* is a "cold start" ok. What those channels will provide is a base line and a cold start baseline helps but not most important. Getting the setscrew and fuel tables in line is the most important and will address the BRA as needed. Setting the timing up consistent from Main to idle advance is going to get best results.

***Do you have cats? If not Fuel>Temp control>COT> Disable........ if you do have them leave alone.

Disable STFT in OL.

O2 sesnor Integral and Proportional tables have been altered. Pretty drastic changes. It can be needed but do you kow why they are changed? Did you have a WB log because how would you know O2 were needing prop & int recalibrated without a WB?

Ideally set the BRA back to stock.

What injectors are you running because the injector characterization is not stock but not much bigger than stock?? If they are stock injectors, put all that back to stock. GM didn't characterize the stock injectors wrong. If aftermarket, provide as much info as you can. Your VE has been modified, not sure if it is good until more is known about the injectors you have.

With injector data corrected, At op temp above 170* you can begin adjusting setscrew to get the actual IAC position count to 30-40.

You will move setscrew and if engine is off, re-start and again WAIT for the dynamic airflow channel to stabilize minimum movement then you can adjust IAC setscrew again.

Tuner in Training
    stock LS1 fbody injectors, i do have cats, it was a mail order tune from PCM of NC. I did check the IAC counts with GM Tech2 and the were 170 in gear. also have a MAF code P0103

Tuner in Training
    The other thing is I never had a stock tune so I have no Idea what the stock BRA numbers should be.

Tuner in Training
    I found some stock numbers so I will change them back

Advanced Tuner
    I found some stock numbers so I will change them back
    Here is 2 stock files from the Tune repository in HPTuners.

Use at your own discretion.

Injector data is good for those injectors.

You will need establish the IAC count of 30-40 in P/N at operating temperature of 170* or above.

The Channels list has the IAC count too and you can verify with the Tech2 that is nice.

P0103 is failed, good the Dynamic is set 4000rpm and needs to be raised high like 8000RPM. The PE TPS% Hot and Cold tables need to be set to 85% or higher. You do not want to enable PE while tuning the VE table.

Adaptive Over and Underspeed from stock file will be good.

Hope the tune files help.

Cheers!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Ok thank you I am off Friday I will see what I can do with it. Thanks for all the help

Advanced Tuner
    psw71

In case you need more IAC setup technique...

To start the tuning process bring the engine up to operating temp, then the TB setscrew should be adjusted so the IAC position is at 30-40 steps. You will then need to RESET the TB TPS% by turning key off, unplugging the IAC and TPS sensor, turn key on- NO START hold 10 seconds, turn key off, plug IAC and TPS sensor back in, turn key on, start logging those channels I posted earlier and then Start car. Let it idle for 2 minutes, blip throttle and let come back to idle for about 30 seconds then blip again to about 2800rpm and come back to idle for about 1 minute. Adjust IAC count if needed again. FINAL reset of TB procedure will have the TPS% at 0-0.40%. Most aftermarket TB have the setscrew/ stop accessible from above but always be careful while engine is running. Make the adjustments and stop and hold letting the IAC stabilize before continuing. This will take patience but worth it.

WARNING--- While adjusting the TB setscrew to reach the 30-40 steps IF the TPS% reaches 1.6% you must stop and reset TB using procedure described above. Keep adjusting the IAC count to achieve 30-40 count and if needed reset TB procedure EACH TIME it goes above 1.6%. The reason is this is the TPS% that disables the idle routine.
    ***IF the TPS VOLTAGE reaches 0.76volts post the log. If this happens you would need to drill a hole in the TB. DO NOT DRILL A HOLE unless the IAC count is still too high and the voltage reaches this limit of 0.76volts. How big the hole would need to be will depend on how close to the target range the IAC count is when it exceeds the 0.76volts. Most aftermarket TB are bigger than stock providing enough air before the voltage limit.

Tuner in Training
    Okay thanks I hope to work on it Sunday and see what happens. That info will def help. I will keep you posted on what happens.

Tuner in Training
    Well for some reason I cant load the channels you sent me. I did everything else you told me to do and it does the same thing. I did get the iac counts are in the 30-40 range when its at 775 RPM but holds there for about 25-30 seconds then slowly climbs back up to around 900-925 and stays there. the iac is around 75-80 at that speed and the TPS is 0.73V. Scratching my head....
    Last edited by psw71; 07-31-2022 at 03:48 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Do you know how to load the channels list?

First download list to a folder for the project or anywhere you know where to find Download file.

Open VCM scanner. Top left> Log File> close Log File.

Now in the Channels section under that Log File tab, See the folder with the GEAR icon (NOT the lightning bolt), >> Click folder drop down arrow> Open Channel Config> navigate to the downloaded list I posted.

Now when you log it will have the new channels list. If you like and want to keep the existing Channels you have, BEFORE Closing a log you are viewing, Click the Disk Icon with the GEAR (not the lightning bolt) to Save Channel Config As > File wherever you choose to save things for this project.

Please label the log the same name as the Tune file used to create it. This is just good organization and can be helpful going back to a point in the tuning process.

Something like you did before ex: date and then may I suggest what you are tuning & what fuel mode if applicable. 07-31-22 VE 01 or MAF 01 something like that. That way you can keep up with the iterations and the dates.

I would not describe too much in the file name it will get out of hand and longgg. Describe the changes in the VCM Editor Edit> Calibration Details> Tune Overview> Notes. That is a good place to save what is done.

Tuner in Training
    ok I have the channels loaded you gave me. I should be able to get a new log Tuesday I work all day tomorrow. How would you like me to log it? thanks for all your help