Thread: Trucks and WOT Shifting

Senior Tuner

Trucks and WOT Shifting

Does anyone else have problems getting trucks to exceed both RPM and MPH settings before they command the shift?

Not me. Are you hitting the rev limiter first before you 'fall' into the next shift?

Senior Tuner
    Shifting early. Way before the WOT RPM parameter is exceeded. On more than 1 truck also. Like they are shifting by WOT MPH only and ignoring the RPM paramater.

are you doing both the normal and hot tables in the transmission window?(and performance if you so desire to use the tow/haul button)

Post the current tune so i and other can take a peek.

Senior Tuner
    First and fore most:
    Normal Tables = Used pertty much all the time
    Performance Tables = Only used when in Tow/Haul Mode
    Cruise Tables = Only used during Cruise Control
    Hot Tables = Only used when an Overtemp Trans Condition is detected, which is set to ~270f in the Trans Diagnostics. Very rarely, if at all, used

Having said that, please post the BIN file that you are having problems with and a possible log showing the occurance. Could be a handful of things really. Simple things would be the Part Throttle Shifting at 80%-100% is being used because you are not exceeding the WOT Enable Shift setting of 90% (disable = 80%). Difficult items would be pressure is too high, gearing is incorrect, etc ...

Senior Tuner
    This is a problem I only have on trucks. I know about all the tables and how to set them. Never have a problem with cars. Just wondering if it is something unique to trucks shifting early. Thought there might be something hard coded in the PCM. Here is a log with MPH set at 5800 and MPH set at 38 and 63. Note when the current gear changes.

George, you just hit on something I had been staring at for years and didn't put together! WOT MPH is only used when you exceed the WOT TPS% setting.

I learned something new today. I can go to sleep happy!
    Always Support Our Troops!

Senior Tuner
    I wonder if this pertains only to electric throttle
    trucks? I did not notice such a thing the only
    time I tuned on a cable throttle one ('99 5.3)
    but on a later ('04?) AWD Silverado SS with
    the electric throttle, found a lot of stuff from
    traction control was messing with the throttle
    position, pulling it back and then shifting early
    etc. There is the "straight TPS=83% even
    matted" deal and I wonder if maybe some OSes
    use the "wrong" one rather than ETC position,
    or something. Meaning you'd never access "WOT"
    settings if so.

Senior Tuner
    Sweet dreams Doug.

2xLS1, I will look at your log tonight. I was unable to last night due to Adelphia killing our cable ... we have cable internet at home.

Jimmy, there are some TM table that will restrict the "abuse of the throttle" that can cause a pre-shift. I ran into that on a maggie 2006 Silverado. You may want to log Commanded (or Desired) TPS% instead of actual.

Probly not a good idea...but I zero the mph out and use rpm only for WOT shift..its very consistant and seems to stay put if theres a little wheel spin.It tends to dump into second if I spin on the line or heavy accelaration using the mph wot shift....Just my personal experiance

Tuner
    I see the same all the time in my truck. Is an ETC TB. Very rarely does it shift where I command it to. Ususally about 200 rpm short. I did notice that when I was SD tuning and had COT, STFT's, etc turned off it shifted where I commanded.

03 Silverado Z71, 6.0L (LQ4), Magnacharger Radix, 90mm TB, 9psi boost, 60# Mototron FM Injectors, Meth Injection, LPE GT7 Cam, PI Vigilante 2600, FLT Level 5 4l65E, Dynatech, Custom Stainless Dual Exhaust, Detroit True-Trac, 4.10's, Electric Fans, AirAid CAI. HSW Dry Nitrous with 50 shot. 11.73 @ 114 - 2Bar SD - @@@Photos and Video@@@

Could it just be that the RPM gauge isn't 100% accurate?
    2001 Silverado Z71 4x4
    5.3 with Stock 4L60E
    Z06 Cam, S&B Intake, JBA Headers, Magnaflow Cats, Corsa Cat Back, LS1 Fans, Tuned with HP Tuners.
    Current Best: 14.92 @ 93mph

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky13MN
    Could it just be that the RPM gauge isn't 100% accurate?
    Thats very possible

Advanced Tuner
    did you set the ETC TPS max under torque managment to 100 across the board? i've never had this problem and i've had two 04's both etc. first thing i done in both was set the ETC TPS max to 100.
    '04 Tahoe AWD, trickperformance turbo kit, TC78 turbo, 4"magnaflow muffler, Circle D triple disc 3,000, FLT LVL 7 4L60E, L92, 227/235 111lsa.
    Old 5.3=12.33 @110mph
    http://www.streetfire.net/video/turb...mph_741849.htm

Quote Originally Posted by EC_Tune
    George, you just hit on something I had been staring at for years and didn't put together! WOT MPH is only used when you exceed the WOT TPS% setting.

I learned something new today. I can go to sleep happy!
    I figured this out awhile back ONLY because I just changed the "Full Throttle Enable %" and then went and did some runs. ALot of craps was crazy, especially that WOT shift at MPH/RPM settings. I have zero'd out my speed references though. I want to be sure it is gonna be shifting or at least in the process of at my selected RPM.
    2K ECSB 4WD 1500 Silvy 6.0L(swapped), 2600 Suncoast TC, TransTech4L80E, '02 PCM upgrade,Patriot Stg 2 Heads,TVS1900(2.8 Pulley),custom 224/228 568/571 114+4,meth inject to wet a 75 shot of nitrous,dynatech hdrs,gutted cats,4.1 gears w/Eaton LSP,HPT-EIO,DynoJet WB, and tuned by the seat of my pants.
    12.22 @ 110.75 blower/meth/110 (76*) (radix)
    11.66 @ 115.95 bower/meth/110/50shot (45*) (radix)
    11.35 @ 117.35 blower/meth/110/75shot (45*) (radix)

Tuner
    Check the gas pedal. I have a 07 supercharged H2 shifting way too early. I found the carpet and sound insuluation limiting the throttle from going to WOT range. I reworked the gas pedal to allow full travel and it runs and shifts as directed.