Thread: AEM wideband readout vs. HPT readout

AEM wideband readout vs. HPT readout

I know this has been asked before and it has not made sence to me, I am tuning the MAF now and am getting close and when the rpm is stedy the readout on the AEM gauge is steady at 14.3 to 14.4 and the HPT WB AEM readout is bounceing between 14.7 and 15.1 ...is this normal, I have been reading other posts on this I am pretty sure I have it all hooked up correctly and did not do anything but imput the pre programed AEM WB in the HPT scanner, I have not tried to calibrate either,...if that is even posible?
    ..just seems it should not be that much off
    2002 WS-6, Built A-4, 3000 stall, Lid and K&N, ported TB, 220/224, .551, 114 LSA, roller rockers, LT's, 2.5" true duals with X-pipe, Koni adjustable front and Bilstein rears with Hotchkis springs, front bar and bushings, welded SFC's, boxed LCA's., Midnight Blue trimmed in silver, silver face gauges, custom hood bird, HPT (with lot's of tuning)

you have to set it up correctly for the offsets. If it is not reading what AEM is then you are wasting your time tuning right now.
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Probably as simple as changing the offset value (next to the +) to: current value - 0.5
    Always Support Our Troops!

Instead of using the built in AEM WB PID you will need to create a custom one so you can change the offset so HPT matches the gauge.

Add a user defined EIO PID like the screenshot attached. Start with the 9.8 and move up or down until your HPT matches your gauge. Then make sure you use this custom PID for all your AFR Error histograms.
    Bill Winters

Former owner/builder/tuner of the FarmVette
    Out of the LSx tuning game

Thanks for the help, I have never herd this before and I guess all the tuning I have done up till now is off!
    2002 WS-6, Built A-4, 3000 stall, Lid and K&N, ported TB, 220/224, .551, 114 LSA, roller rockers, LT's, 2.5" true duals with X-pipe, Koni adjustable front and Bilstein rears with Hotchkis springs, front bar and bushings, welded SFC's, boxed LCA's., Midnight Blue trimmed in silver, silver face gauges, custom hood bird, HPT (with lot's of tuning)

Yep. Be thankful the AEM has a gauge; otherwise how would you know the offset is wrong. Thats what bugs me about the Innovative ones (without the gauge).

Honestly I have yet to see a WB that outputs the same number through HPT as on it's gauge. I don't know why there are even built-in PIDs for the different WB's. It would be great if they were editable.
    Bill Winters

The innovate ones, the only thing you need to do is open it in log works and you have the AFR...
    Sulski Performance Tuning
    2000 WS6 M6 - LS6 (long block, refreshed top end), 10.8:1 CR, 90 mm ported FAST, Exo-Skel, 227/232 cam, QTP HVMC, EWP, GMMG, 9" w/4.11s
    2018 Sierra SLT 5.3L A8 - Airaid intake tube, GM Borla catback, L86 Intake/Ported TB

Quote Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
    The innovate ones, the only thing you need to do is open it in log works and you have the AFR...
    Good point.
    Bill Winters

Tuner in Training
    Having a problem with my UEGO vs HPT that the offset isn't working:

The UEGO seems to track with how the car is running, but the HPT readout only seems to cycle between 10.3 and 12.3, no higher... I have the white UEGO were going to EIO 1, and the ground I used for the gauge/controller connected at EIO 5.

Any ideas?

Jonota

What setting is the little white knob set to on the back of the UEGO. Check it against the user manual. I can't remember which setting it should be on for 0-5V linear output but the manual will say.
    Bill Winters

Tuner in Training
    Checked it, it was in P4 vice the "default" of P0 (out of the box). It was interesting to note however, that in P0 I get 0-5v output on the analog wire, but lambda on the meter, instead of AFR.... that's not what my AEM instruction manual says I should be seeing, but it seems to work correctly now.

Jonota

I know there is a setting to get the gauge to be AFR as well. I want to say P2 but I'm not sure.
    Bill Winters

Tuner in Training
    I think that the back of the gauge's adjustment knob is goobered up, so I don't want to mess with hit... I can do EQ ratio, the number in HPtuners seems to dance with it so I think it's close enough if not dead on. I'm pretty happy with it so far...

Jonota

The problem is that the HPT PID may need to be tweaked because of the voltage offset. It needs to match the gauge and since your gauge is reading lambda, thats hard to do.
    Bill Winters

Tuner in Training
    I can't seem to get the AFR to stay stable enough to actually SEE the difference between the wideband output and the HPT reading... I tried to adjust and no matter what I did it seemed that the HPT reading was ~.4 above what ht egauge read. Again though, it didn't really stay stable enough to be able to tell for sure.

Jonota

force it into open loop. It will be steadier then and you should be tuning in open loop with the WB anyway. Create a dashboard with a really big AFR gauge and hold the laptop next to the gauge. How are you adjusting the equation? You should be adding or subtracting to/from that 9.8 value.
    Bill Winters

Tuner in Training
    I am adjusting the equation on the end. Initial equation same as HPT "stock" AFR=(V/.5)+10
    I am already in open loop, but idle for instance bounces around upper 13's and lower 14's . I haven't tried going for a drive and trying, but now I have someone that can ride with me I might do that.
    I'm wondering how much of an effect the exhaust is having on realibility of the WB. MAC mid-lengths w/ the WB put into the after-cat O2 bungs (no cats). I know that the top end feels VERY meaty now, and the WB is reading in the mid 12's(~12.5), JUST a bit lower than commanded(~12.7). NO spark knock detected other than the tip in throttle knock.
    The idle is being the most annoying thing. At one point, I had the idle going quite nice, but in drive it seemed to fight the brake pedal and want to go. I then tried Russ's idle spark tables, and the idle got VERY smooth, but off transients, it hunts DRASTICALLY and usually ends up stalling.

Jonota

Tuner in Training
    So what setting is the Uego set to? I messed with it when I first got it hooked up, but didn't notice a difference.
    Last edited by thevilliagemon; 11-11-2007 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Forgot to subscribe