Thread: LS1 pulley removal???

Tuner

LS1 pulley removal???

Do I absolutely have to have a puller to get the pulley off of my T/A? I can't seem to be able to rent one anywhere
    Victor&&99 T/A WS6 &&TEA 5.3 heads, 224, .581 112, Mac Mids, ORY, SLP Loudmouth, SLP Flowpac, ASP pulley, BMR PHB, LCA\'s w/relos., SFC\'s, Vig 3600 w/ 4L65E,deep pan, B&M transpak, Hayden trans cooler

Advanced Tuner

Re: LS1 pulley removal???

Yes, you need a 3 jaw puller. (And even when you get one, it's still a PITA!)

From ls1howto.com's oil pump replacement instructions:
    Crank pulley removal: Now, break the crank bolt free and unturn it 2-3 turns. Install a 3 jaw puller onto the pulley. If you have the stock crank pulley, the 3 jaws fit onto the 3 tabs in the INSIDE arms of the pulley. Do NOT pull from the outside diameter of the stock pulley or you might break it (I've seen one in 10 pieces before). If you have the ASP underdrive pulley, you can pull from the large ridge half way back on the outside diameter of the pulley. A puller with 6" long arms or so should be able to reach those. I've removed an ASP pulley 3-4 times like this with no issues. If you have a larger puller you might be able to grab the back of the ASP pulley, but I have yet to find one that size. Once the puller is installed, start turning the bolt until the pulley comes loose. If your puller runs out of travel before then, twist out the crank bolt a bit more and try again. You might have to use washers or a socket on the end of the puller bolt to get enough travel in the puller.

Hope that helps.

-Matt
    1970 Corvette LS1/T56
    2001 Corvette Z06

Potential Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by blue_falcon
    Do I absolutely have to have a puller to get the pulley off of my T/A? I can't seem to be able to rent one anywhere
    They don't have Autozones where you are ? They will let you borrow it for free !

If not, you can always order one cheap from harborfreight.com

Putting it back on is the harder part, that torque spec is HELL to get !

Tuner

I have autozones but they don't have the puller
    Victor&&99 T/A WS6 &&TEA 5.3 heads, 224, .581 112, Mac Mids, ORY, SLP Loudmouth, SLP Flowpac, ASP pulley, BMR PHB, LCA\'s w/relos., SFC\'s, Vig 3600 w/ 4L65E,deep pan, B&M transpak, Hayden trans cooler

Advanced Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by TRex

They don't have Autozones where you are ? They will let you borrow it for free !

If not, you can always order one cheap from harborfreight.com

Putting it back on is the harder part, that torque spec is HELL to get !
    I used a cheap Sears 3" 3-jaw puller. It was a PITA but it worked. AotoZone has been going to hell lately. Too much ricer stuff, not enough real parts. They almost never have parts I need.....

That torque spec isn't HELL, it's impossible. I had a friend in the car with 2 feet on the brakes and the car in gear so that the motor wouldn't turn over. Then I had a 3' pipe on the end of the breaker bar and I didn't get close. If it's that tight and it's still not to spec, then the spec is impossible.

-Matt
    1970 Corvette LS1/T56
    2001 Corvette Z06

Tuner in Training

PepBoys has the 3 jaw 5 ton puller. I used the 3 ton a few times and it broke so go the extra mile and get the 5 ton. I think it was like $28.

I just did my March pulley swap today
    2002 WS6, ASC# 3111, Fully Loaded, MagnaFlow Stainless Cat Back, Direct Flo Lid, port and Polished TB, 224 Comp Cam, March Underdrive Pulley, 383.9 rwhp, 373.8 rwtq, 12.29 @ 114mph

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer2
    PepBoys has the 3 jaw 5 ton puller. I used the 3 ton a few times and it broke so go the extra mile and get the 5 ton. I think it was like $28.

I just did my March pulley swap today
    i got mine from pep boys for $39.99 lifetime warranty, fine threads which make all the difference in taking off the pulley, and a longer then stock bolt will be needed as well...also save your stock bolt and shave 2 sides and use it as a thread chaser...dont try pulling the old pulley off with a shitty puller or it will take forever...actually last night i let my friend borrow mine and showed him how its done...with the right puller it took all of about 4-5 minutes to take it off.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"