Thread: trans knock

trans knock

can track system cause knock or untuned tm and if so a way to get rid of it 'iam getting knock during burnout and some of the gears !!!I turn off my tcs at track and it will still pull timing even if it is off or on, tm lockup speeds are off a mph or so? iam getting kr, i think it is the trans thing this time,anyone ever get kr from trans... fast post at work...posting when i should be working !!
    Last edited by robfromlouisville; 10-21-2008 at 02:35 PM.
    98 GRAND PRIX GTP ,02 GRAND PRIX GT TURBO A2A IC.

Advanced Tuner
    TM pulls timing. So does kr. So does false KR. I have heard of the dynamat kit that helps with trans knock but I have never heard of someone actually having trans knock. You should look elsewhere. Post up a scan and you're tune.
    2004 GTO LS1~HP Tuners~AFX W/B~PRC 227 heads~.644/.598-231/234-111(TQV3)~Kooks 1 7/8 headers~Stock injectors~Fast 102 LSXR Intake~Fast 102 TB~CAI cold air intake~Yella Terra Roller Rockers~Fast Fuel Rails~

Dyno's are for sissy's, See you on the street.

i didn't mean the trans itself knocking 'but the trans settings not being in line with motor settings, cause the kr ???iam real new at hpt!!!i have the 1.0 zzp tune for the ss m90 kit
    Last edited by robfromlouisville; 05-30-2009 at 09:16 PM.

I also run a 3800 and I got a lot of KR from my trans. After installing a shift kit to shorten shift time and having the trans pressure upped I lost several degrees of KR. Scan to see at what point your getting KR, if it's at the shift points you will need to deal with the shift modulator more then a tune. Hope that helps. Also, false KR comes from noise in the trans gears being picked up by the knock sensors.
    Dan

http://www.thurs.net/dan/personal/bonnie Objects in mirror are losing!

I have reduced my KR sensors by 40% with modifying the KR sensors with resistors, it still picks up KR (nothing audiable) , so the KR sensors are pretty sensitive. So far I have ran 25-26 degrees timing on a 125 shot of nitrous with no KR. Which I though was pretty impressive. In the future I'll try a 150 shot and see where it is at. This is with my current mods, VS cam, 9.5:1 forged pistons, 36lb injectors, Comp 105lb springs and 5/16 pushrods and ZZP steel modded retainers. RKsport headers, 3" exhaust with no cat and Summit turbo muffler.
    Last edited by ssms5411; 10-21-2008 at 07:57 PM.
    1996 Camaro 3.8 M5 to A4 conversion, VS cam, 3" exhaust, 9:5.1 forged pistons, Clev.77 bearings, Comp 130lb springs/.105 pushrods, Manely modded retainers, Walbro 255, PLX wideband,65lb injectors, Every Suspesion mod. alot of other mods- GT35R Turbo.http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2441235
    2008 Silverado LTZ 6.0 L76 Dynomax exhaust K&N intake

maybe that's what i need to do , turn down kr sensors ...because i cant
    hear the knock ..on my 2002 gp i can hear ..and scan shows its got knock ..but my 99 gp cant hear it and the motor accels very smooth..so i will try to turn down knock sensors.I've run this setup a long time without kr from no where knock..knock..man i have done so much to get rid of it you would lol!!thats why iam thinking trans, it may be ready to dump on me ,iam running stock gt trans,with the motor mods!! thanks
    Last edited by robfromlouisville; 05-30-2009 at 09:16 PM.

My Dad who worked for GM as a mecahnic 20 years ,Service Manager for 5 years and then Shop Foreman for about 10 years until recently retired always told me the 3800 had alot of false KR. And he was right. By reducing the KR sensors I have no false KR and Hptuners will still pick up KR if I turn the timing up so the KR sensors are still working fine, just not as senistive. There was a program that calculated which resistors to use and had instructrions on how to wire them up and it said I think not to go past a certain percentage. I think I did because I would get a code from time to time from low input for KR sensor, which I just put no error with Hptuners. As long as I know their still working thats fine with me. I'll turn the timing up sometimes too make sure Hptuners reads like a 1 or 2 degree of KR. Then put the timing back down and there is also your ears to tell you when you here audible KR, theres nothing like hearing a machine gun sound coming from your engine.LOL
    1996 Camaro 3.8 M5 to A4 conversion, VS cam, 3" exhaust, 9:5.1 forged pistons, Clev.77 bearings, Comp 130lb springs/.105 pushrods, Manely modded retainers, Walbro 255, PLX wideband,65lb injectors, Every Suspesion mod. alot of other mods- GT35R Turbo.http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2441235

On the 3800 V6 engines, I always double the knock decay rate & halve the knock attack rate.

Russ Kemp

Quote Originally Posted by Russ K View Post
    On the 3800 V6 engines, I always double the knock decay rate & halve the knock attack rate.

Russ Kemp
    I tried that for mine and I really couldn't get it to work right , it was still showing alot of KR and thats why I went with the resistor method. If we had a KR sensitivity section that would be sweet. I forgot we have the window for it but no programing.

Thumbs up

iam starting to think ,the gas station is putting 87 octane in all the pumps and saying its 93! iv been messing around with the tune kr is getting better,like i say: kr came from nowhere after running kr free for 3 years!!thanks for the help !! the replys make me tune harder!!
    Last edited by robfromlouisville; 10-27-2008 at 12:07 PM.

well i disable the tcc and set tcc min pressure to 50 and the kr sensors down just a bit kr and moved shift points down and the kr went away ....so i would say the trans tcc was causing the kr !!