Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for some suggestions on how to slow my car down

Tuner

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by thesubfloor View Post
    Your method won't work consistently as it's temperature based for both the IAT and ECT. The timing that I pulled in my tune is temperature independent so it'll give me pretty much the same values every time, and I won't have to worry about it being different if the car gets too hot or has a lot of time to cool down in between runs.
    If you run you car at the same temps it will be VERY consistent.

Also you could put the same amount to be pulled out across the board no matter what the temp. Another words, you could put -3 @ iat spark of 32 degrees and carry it across the board. Samething with ect spark, you could start -3 at 140 degrees and carry that right across the board and both iat and ect would pull 6 degrees of timing out through out your run.

I am sure that your ect temps won`t be below 140 when drag racing and if they are you could go even lower. Samething with your iat`s, unless your drag racing below 32 degrees, then you also could go lower from there.

Give it a try, i know, it works,and your car will be very consistent .
    Last edited by TonyB4; 11-17-2008 at 06:53 AM.
    |466rwhp & 411rwtq|Cartek 3X cam|Vig stall|Bolt ons|Stock 2.56 gears|
    |Stock compression|Cartek dyno tuned| HPTuners pro|

Cam only
    60ft 1.53 - [email protected]
    60ft 1.56 - [email protected]
    http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/i...onverted-1.flv

Senior Tuner
    You were close - it's actually a Yank SS3600.

Yes, the full timing is a result of going through my scans and making the corresponding changes where necessary to remove what 99% of people mistake for being Torque Management when you launch the car.

Yeah, I'm pretty close to having it dialed in now exactly where I want it.

Christopher
    You are about 21 mph out before reaching peak torque assuming you have the factory cam or your cam peaks around 4600 rpm. I think the Yank converters are generally a little tighter than rated. But then again they don't know what torque your particular engine produces at 3600. You would benefit from a looser converter unless of course streetability is an issue.

Tuner in Training
    I too need to slow down for index racing..

I have a beta version of HP where I can cantrol WOT% to RPMs &
    TPS% related to pedal position..

Have not tried it yet..
    I am leery to adjust these beacuse in EFI Live, when you adjust the WOT% it AUTOMATICALLY changes the WOT shift points.

I dont' think in HP Tuners, the WOT shift points get changed automatically, and I have no idea where to set them, with a lower TPS%..

In other words, I would think if I ran my engine to 6800 rpms @ 60% throttle opening, wouldn't I lean out & cause damage?

Need calrification..

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 8850 View Post
    You are about 21 mph out before reaching peak torque assuming you have the factory cam or your cam peaks around 4600 rpm. I think the Yank converters are generally a little tighter than rated. But then again they don't know what torque your particular engine produces at 3600. You would benefit from a looser converter unless of course streetability is an issue.
    I've got a Comp Cams in the there which peaks at around 5000RPM.

I'm considering switching over to a Yank PT4000 as it's supposed to have a lower STR and help me at higher RPMs.

Senior Tuner
    I've got a Comp Cams in the there which peaks at around 5000RPM.

I'm considering switching over to a Yank PT4000 as it's supposed to have a lower STR and help me at higher RPMs.
    If you want optimum then with your peak torque of 5000 get a 4500 stall. You want your true stall about 500 rpm below peak torque for maximum performance.

Quote Originally Posted by YO-EL View Post
    I too need to slow down for index racing..

I have a beta version of HP where I can cantrol WOT% to RPMs &
    TPS% related to pedal position..

Have not tried it yet..
    I am leery to adjust these beacuse in EFI Live, when you adjust the WOT% it AUTOMATICALLY changes the WOT shift points.

I dont' think in HP Tuners, the WOT shift points get changed automatically, and I have no idea where to set them, with a lower TPS%..

In other words, I would think if I ran my engine to 6800 rpms @ 60% throttle opening, wouldn't I lean out & cause damage?

Need calrification..
    What ECM are you doing this with? I thought that feature was only available for C5's?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Diss View Post
    What ECM are you doing this with? I thought that feature was only available for C5's?
    I have a 2000 C5..
    I can make the throttle position adjustments, but unlike all who use EFI Live, there is no built in WOT shift point adjustment..

What would happen if I ran wot 60% @ 6800 rpms?
    Wouldn't that create a very lean condition?

Or would my car not see those rpms..

Maybe I should just short shift @ 5000 rpms...

Advanced Tuner
    Subfloor, you can take timing away via the "PE/COT add table".

Thit way its not temperature-dependent, and doesn't require you to modify your actual spark tables.

Also, make sure your PE/COT Spark vs MAP looks like the one I adjusted here.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by LazMan View Post

Thit way its not temperature-dependent, and doesn't require you to modify your actual spark tables.

Is there anything inherently wrong with pulling the values out of the spark tables like I did?

Or is this another situation where there's 3 or 4 different ways to achieve the same goal?

Thanks,
    Christopher

30-40 ways to achieve the same goal...
    Always Support Our Troops!

Tuner

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LazMan View Post

It was nice of you to take the time to show that there are other ways to pull timing.

Some people like to think their way is the best and thats just ignorant in my book.

Thanks again!
    |466rwhp & 411rwtq|Cartek 3X cam|Vig stall|Bolt ons|Stock 2.56 gears|
    |Stock compression|Cartek dyno tuned| HPTuners pro|

Cam only
    60ft 1.53 - [email protected]
    60ft 1.56 - [email protected]
    http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/i...onverted-1.flv