Thread: Flashed VCM, will not crank

Potential Tuner

Flashed VCM, will not crank

Hello,

Obviously i am extremely new to all this tuning procedures. I have a 2004 Silverado Z71, Today I flashed the VCM with a file downloaded off the repository. The result was that the engine would not start. So I flashed the VCM back to the stock file that I had saved. Same result. I am thinking that it is something to do with VATS, but I relinked VATS according to the instructions in the help manual. Have I seriously screwed my VCM up? The first file is the one from the repository, and the second file is the stock VCM that I saved from the get go. Is it possible that i need to rewrite the VATS, or also i found a different procedure listed here for relinking the VATS on the 3rd gen gm v8's, waiting ten minutes, rather than the 30 second intervals between ignition in the on and off position. So, laugh at me, call me a 'noob'. Whatever, but some help or tips would be appreciated. My truck has been out of commision for about three months right now. First a wreck that took me forever to fix, and now as of today, everything is fixed from the wreck. Now i messed up my VCM so i am pretty frustrated.

Regards,
    Gilbert R. Turner
    National Registry EMT

Hopefully you 'read' your original computer ? Perform an entire rewrite with your stock, original file. (Not just calibration section only). When finished, disconnect the battery for 2-3 minutes and reconnect.
    Start 'er up.

Potential Tuner
    Yes, I did a complete save of the original computer. So Reflash w/ original hpt file. Do i need to worry about VATS at all? I think that is where my problem lies. Should I try the 10 minute wait VATS relink? or the write VIN/Tunerlock/VATS? or I could disable it. What are the pro's and con's of disabling VATS?

You shouldn't flash someone elses tune to your vehicle since they won't have the same OS.
    1996 Camaro 3.8 M5 to A4 conversion, VS cam, 3" exhaust, 9:5.1 forged pistons, Clev.77 bearings, Comp 130lb springs/.105 pushrods, Manely modded retainers, Walbro 255, PLX wideband,65lb injectors, Every Suspesion mod. alot of other mods- GT35R Turbo.http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2441235
    2008 Silverado LTZ 6.0 L76 Dynomax exhaust K&N intake

Potential Tuner
    talk about a stupid mistake and a hard lesson to learn...
    Gilbert R. Turner
    National Registry EMT
    2004 Silverado Z71 - K&N CAI, HF MAFS, TBS, Pacesetter Long Tubes, 3" Exhaust

Potential Tuner
    Well... Got back to the shop today, fiddled with the truck again, reflashed with stock, disconnected battery for 5 minutes(timed). No result, rewrote with stock with VATS disabled. no result. rewrote back with vats, rewrote vats/vin/tunerlock and then relinked vats and waited until security light went off, once again no result. Any ideas?
    Gilbert R. Turner
    National Registry EMT

are you getting any codes? If you rewrote entire with your original read it should start, if it doesn't you have some other problem.
    I count sheep in hex...

Potential Tuner
    it has thrown a U1000 that i recall. Can't recall much more. Will have more info tomorrow.
    Gilbert R. Turner
    National Registry EMT

Potential Tuner
    Ok... something fishy is going on at the shop. I apologize for the troubles, but someone has been nice enough to flatten one of the pins on my starter relay. Truck runs fine now. Go figure... Now i'm taking suggestions for payback.
    Gilbert R. Turner
    National Registry EMT

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by grturner View Post
    Ok... something fishy is going on at the shop. I apologize for the troubles, but someone has been nice enough to flatten one of the pins on my starter relay. Truck runs fine now. Go figure... Now i'm taking suggestions for payback.
    Thats crazy man. Glad you got it figured out