Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at HP Tuners

Potential Tuner

Looking at HP Tuners

Hey guys, i'm new here. I have a 2008 C6 Corvette MN6, and currently have a diablosport hand tuner. I have been interested in the hptuner suite, and was wondering if I would be able to gain more power over the diablosport. Also, with me being new to actually tuning (instead of using the hand held)...is there a huge learning curve? Any tutorials? Pretty much I want to know I can do it before I buy it.

You should be able to gain more power with this or any professional grade tuning software.

Yes, there is a huge learning curve. I build computer networks for a living and I build GM wiring harnesses for engine swaps in my spare time. Since I've started doing both, I've never not had a waiting list. That said, this program is over my head and getting an answer on this forum is like pulling teeth. This is professional grade software, hence you have to have professional grade understanding. The only tutorials are how to change rear end gear ratios and other elementary stuff that you could probably figure out on your own. Other than that, you're absolutely on your own.

There is no instruction manual and many terms that you may ask about (and others will tell you to 'look it up') are not in the 'help' file. There is no 'tech support' phone number you can call, there is no physical address you check, and the moderators (from what I understand, correct me if I'm wrong) can't accept PMs, so be prepared to have any issues you have brought out in public.

I had a simple question that turned into an issue and it was handled in a less-than-professional manner. I was hoping my issue was an exception, but I've since found that it's the standard. It seems that this forum is a place for all the experienced tuners to pat themselves on the back than a place for people to actually learn how to use the program. If you want to learn how, be prepared to pay $400 for a book or $1500 for a training session.

Other than that, expect the moderators to lock threads you post in concerning anything with their product/service that could use improvement.

As usual, I expect this thread to be locked. Of course, anyone who has an issue with it can email me, PM, or even call. PM for my #.

what was your issue? it sounds like you have an isolated issue here, lets try to resolve that and amend whatever concerns you had in the past rather than venting in every newbie thread.

Overall, our feedback is that people are very happy with our service and assistance offered on this forum. There simply isn't any single source for complex explanations for all the parameters, we try our best and our best is generally well ahead of what anyone else provides. Try reading an LS1edit help manual, its not much fun. I've seen OEM training course material and some sections of our help manual are better than those.

We have an office in Chicago where our staff work everyday. We don't offer phone support becuase we don't officially offer tuning advice, we leave that as a service some of our dealers provide. We offer email or web support for general installation and troubleshooting for our product.

If you have any issues they can always be emailed to support where they are tracked and dealt with appropriate staff as needed.

Chris...
    Last edited by Chris@HPTuners; 02-19-2009 at 06:03 PM.
    I count sheep in hex...

Chris, i'm not trying to vent in any thread. If I've said anything that isn't factual in this thread or anywhere on this forum, please correct me. I don't want to be libilous (sp).

Seriously, I hope my issues have been the exception. No amount of bitching would take the place of feeling good about spending good money on a good product that has good post-purchace service. I run my own business and I try to run it with the moto, "if you don't treat each customer as if they're your best customer, they never will be." I want all of my customers to feel good about dealing with me and tell their friends the same. I hate to tell you, but I've not had a good word to say about your service. I'm not hard to get along with and I'm itching got the opportunity to convince myself that I made a good purchase, I promise.

I've never read an LS1edit manual, but I'm sure you're right; it probably isn't fun. Neither is reading the phone book, but it sure gives me the information I need.

The OP asked a question, I answered it with first hand experience (no hear-say) and facts. please correct the record on anything you feel is erronious. That said, I don't want to hijack the thread completely and would be glad to continue this elsewhere; email, PM, phone, or even in another thread.
    Last edited by Eat-Pez; 02-19-2009 at 07:00 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    so let me get this straight, your upset because there is no manual to tell you how to tune your car?
    Even tho the help file explains what every table does?

Nope, wrong on both counts. There is no manual telling you how to opperate THE PROGRAM. And Chris just admitted that the help file doesn't cover everthing. Isn't there more to tuning than knowing what a table is, anyway?
    Last edited by Eat-Pez; 02-19-2009 at 07:42 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    So you are struggling to use the program? What are you struggling with??

The help file covers 99% of ls1 related tables,

Have you actually read the help file start to finish?
    Sounds to me like you are way in over your head and now your lashing out because YOU cant figure out the basics and think that someone should walk you through everything.

When i purchased HPT i didnt know anything about it either but i got off my ass and got it figured not winged about it on a internet forum...

Quote Originally Posted by VYSSLS1 View Post
    So you are struggling to use the program? What are you struggling with??
    Everything. But the biggest issue (since it's really the only issue. I haven't been able to dig any deeper since I haven't got past this issue), is MAF tuning. I have a stock motor 01 LM7 with an 04 harness and 04 MAF. I figured that when I was putting this engine together, since it came with an 04 harness and I had an 04 MAF laying around, I would save the $120 for a new MAF and the $25 for the harness pigtails, and just use the 04 MAF. 6 months after spending $500 on this program and finding out that I should've spent $700, I learn that it would've been better to spend the $150 for the 01 MAF get-up. I thought that tuning a MAF on a stock motor would be a good starting point for me to begin my tuning. I've followed every thread I could find about MAF tuning, but it every time I rewrite my PCM, it gets richer to the point the engine won't run.

Now, 6 months and 10k miles later, I've still got the perpetual SES lite and 13mpgs.

The help file covers 99% of ls1 related tables,
    That would be great if I had plans on tuning LS1s.

Have you actually read the help file start to finish?
    No, there is vocabulary in there that I don't understand. When I run across a word that I don't understand, I look it up. That definition has at least one word in it I don't know, so I look it up. After doing that 4 or 5 times, I've forgotten what the first word I started looking up was. I've gotten more help from guys using EFILive... I just didn't tell them I was using HPT.

Sounds to me like you are way in over your head and now your lashing out because YOU cant figure out the basics and think that someone should walk you through everything.
    And sounds to me like you don't know what I've been through to try to figure this out.

When i purchased HPT i didnt know anything about it either
    And we all learn by different means, don't we? I can navigate around this program like a pro, but once I start editing, it turns into a bismall failure. I've read 2 books on tuning, trolled this forum for 6+ months and I'm still getting crappy mpgs on one car and the other that I'm trying to tune (cam/heads/exhaust/custom intake mani) backfires a dozen times after I crank it up before I put it in gear.

but i got off my ass and got it figured not winged about it on a internet forum...
    And I've gotten off my ass and gotten me and my family off the welfare rolls to a million dollar/year business. Don't think for once that I want to be spoon fed. I just want an ACCURATE point in the right direction. Hell, even my son's Transformer toys come with that.

Advanced Tuner
    So after reading all that it still appears you in way over your head, not with the software as you say you can navigate like a pro, but when you touch a table it dosent do what you want it too,

Do you actually have any idea on how to tune a engine?

You show me where it says anywhere that HPT will teach you how to tune your engine??
    You have got your self in the deep end and cant get out of it, it sounds exactly to me like you want to be spoon fed...

So after reading all that it still appears you in way over your head, not with the software as you say you can navigate like a pro, but when you touch a table it dosent do what you want it too,
    Exactly. As I said in post #2, this is professional grade software. I have never said that this software was subpar.

Do you actually have any idea on how to tune a engine?
    No, that's why I haven't posted outside of the 'grtting started' section.

I do know what every sensor on my engines do, how they opperate, what voltages they work on, what signals the PCM sends to opperate various controllers. I do understand suck, bang, blow and at what AFRs my engine should be running at during different types of driving.

You show me where it says anywhere that HPT will teach you how to tune your engine??
    I've never said it has, but I can show you posts where this forum is marketed as an instructional tool and a video where an HPT employee says, "we've got this great forum and if you ever have a question with using our software, post a question there and you'll get an answer quickly". I don't need anyone to teach me how to tune MY engine, I need someone/thing to show me how to opperate this program.

You have got your self in the deep end and cant get out of it,
    No, I'm not in deep and I know I can get out of it. And with comments like that, I'll stand by my first post that says, "getting an answer on this forum is like pulling teeth." Looks like you used the questions about what specific problems I was having to insult me instead of help. We can keep going, I'm sure this is exactly what the OP needs to make his spending decision. I haven't insulted you or the quality of this program; why the hostility?

If the OP has plenty of tuning experience and enjoys insulting noobs, then this is the place for him!!

Advanced Tuner
    i get a little shitty when people want there hand held, you say you are a pro at navagating the software but then you say you want someone to SHOW you how to use it,

But i thought you were a pro at the software??

So in reality you want someone to tell you what table to change, you want your hand held, how about get out there and work out what tables do what,

No, I said the I can "navigate" through the software, not "manipulate". I said that because I've been around the program so many times trying to figure it out on my own. If you told me to go to XXX table, I could get there. But when I edit said table with info I THINK my scanner is telling me to input, 95% of the time, I get worse performance. Then, I post on the forum here and it turns into a shit storm. I'm an active member of 3 other auto forums, and i've had more arguments in the 30 posts i've made on this forum, than in the 5000 posts i've made elsewhere.

The problems I'm having is that when I get info here on how to do a procedure, the steps posted are written for an earlier version oof the program and I can't complete them, or I can complete the steps but my results are so far off base, forum veterans tell me that results like that "never happen".

If you don't want to help, that's fine. I don't want to hender, that's why I try to keep my posts in this subforum. But if you don't want to help, and you know us noobs are already in over our heads, you don't have to add insult to injury.

I can do this. i'm going to figure it out. but every time I come here (to a place that was marketed as a substitute for a manual), someone kicks me when i'm down. and i'm not the only one, I've seen it to other noobs..

Quote Originally Posted by Eat-Pez View Post
    Nope, wrong on both counts. There is no manual telling you how to opperate THE PROGRAM. And Chris just admitted that the help file doesn't cover everthing. Isn't there more to tuning than knowing what a table is, anyway?
    the help file and the quick help on the editor forms tells you how to use the program and generally what each parameter does. What vehicle are you working on? If you have been having a problem for a while then i'm surprised i don't know about it and i apologize for any harsh treatment you feel you have received. Feel free to email me or support and i'll try to work thru any specific issues you have.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    post a new thread with you exact problems, post the tune file, post a few logs and when i get back from holidays next week ill give you a hand

Thank you both. If either of you care, check this sub forum for a thread I started. It's now locked, but I believe it's on the next page of the subforum titled "need a little help getting started". There is a scan and log (I believe, I know there's one or the other) in the OP. It went on for 3 months before it was locked and I never got an answer (atleast one that was suitable for someone posting in the "getting started" section). I did get an answer in another thread that I thought solved my problem. After the thread was locked, it turns out that it didn't solve my problem.

Anyway, thank you for your offer and I hope I'll be able to return the favor sometime.

Advanced Tuner
    do some new logs over the next few days and start a new thread, pm me the link to the new thread

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by LostAngel View Post
    Hey guys, i'm new here. I have a 2008 C6 Corvette MN6, and currently have a diablosport hand tuner. I have been interested in the hptuner suite, and was wondering if I would be able to gain more power over the diablosport. Also, with me being new to actually tuning (instead of using the hand held)...is there a huge learning curve? Any tutorials? Pretty much I want to know I can do it before I buy it.
    There is a learning curve, some people take to tuning much better than others though. For me it started to really click after a couple of months. The great thing about getting into tuning today is there are so many classes, support forums & tunershops willing to offer starter tunes so you can jump right in.

I've seen several tunershops over on the corvette forum offering some great deals including free shipping, discounts on future credit purchases & very low cost starter tunes.

Everyone starts somewhere when it comes to tuning, personally I had to jump in with 2 feet & just tackle it head on, since you've already got a diablosport tune in there you could always pull the tune so you can see what you are starting with, datalog in the meantime & read the forums for some ideas on the best plan of attack.

Running a wideband & dialing in your maf table would be a good start so you have your fueling correct, then start on spark tuning. If you don't have a cam & such idle tuning probably won't be anything you'll need to worry about anytime soon leaving just little stuff like tooling around with torque management, speed/rev limiters & fan temp settings.

It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by Eat-Pez View Post
    Thank you both. If either of you care, check this sub forum for a thread I started. It's now locked, but I believe it's on the next page of the subforum titled "need a little help getting started". There is a scan and log (I believe, I know there's one or the other) in the OP. It went on for 3 months before it was locked and I never got an answer (atleast one that was suitable for someone posting in the "getting started" section). I did get an answer in another thread that I thought solved my problem. After the thread was locked, it turns out that it didn't solve my problem.

Anyway, thank you for your offer and I hope I'll be able to return the favor sometime.
    I read the post and to be honest i can't see enough detail about what the problem is (ie. how to help you) most of the thread is about issues on inserting a PID, saving a histogram or other stuff that is found in the help file.

I think it's best to start a new thread with a subject that includes the general type of problem you are having, like "fuel too rich" or "how do i tune the MAF", "car won't start", "getting crappy mileage" etc.

In your case from the first post in that thread i think the best approach would be to post the tune file and a scanner log that includes a refernce to where in the log the actual problem (tip in hestitation) occurs.

Hey i notice you say you build computer networks? I used to do that too

Chris...
    Last edited by Chris@HPTuners; 02-20-2009 at 03:16 PM.
    I count sheep in hex...

Potential Tuner
    and to answer the questions from Lost Angel:

is there a huge learning curve? *Yes, more so than LS1edit and Accel Gen7

Any tutorials? *Yes, but not for tuning.

Pretty much I want to know I can do it before I buy it. *There are people on this forum
    that have bought and owned HPT for some time, and are still not able to completely tune
    with it.

Buyer beware! This forum may not be as helpful as you think it should be.

Jay Johnson
    Last edited by Jay Johnson; 03-14-2009 at 09:13 PM.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    and to answer the questions from Lost Angel:

is there a huge learning curve? *Yes, more so than LS1edit and Accel Gen7
    How so? simply because we offer more tables then them?

Any tutorials? *Yes, but not for tuning.
    we don't sticky them but there have been dozen's of tuning how to's created & posted over the years, we really don't want to be linked to them for liability purposes however so they are not stickied but are still available on the site none the less.

Pretty much I want to know I can do it before I buy it. *There are people on this forum
    that have bought and owned HPT for some time, and are still not able to completely tune
    with it.
    And there are also people who now make a living off of tuning so theres two sides of the coin.

Buyer beware! This forum may not be as helpful as you think it should be.
    Any information found on the internet should be taken with a grain of salt & no written documents will ever make up for good old R&D work.

It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"