Thread: 99 Chevy P/U 5.3 Passlock help

Tuner in Training

99 Chevy P/U 5.3 Passlock help

Wondering if the 99 chevy p/u with a 5.3 can be tuned to disable passlock. I know the newer trucks there is also something with the security system in the BCM or something like that so just changing the VATS signal doesn't affect it. Is a 99 truck the same way or can I change the VATS table and the truck will start?

Advanced Tuner
    The only thing the PCM does is wait for a signal from the BCM. Passlock is in the BCM. Either you can fake a signal to the PCM or you can disable it in the PCM. At worst, you will have to wire the 12V starter signal around the BCM.

Tuner in Training
    someone previously has installed a resistor in it as it must have had a remote starter or something. We are thinking this might be the culprit to the issues. This truck is not mine, but a customers and it has 200k on it. So knowing what has been done previously by other mechanics is hard to say. Just know the rats nest of wires under there has been played with. Hence why I am after disabling it via hptuners if possible.

Advanced Tuner
    The resistor is a way of tricking the BCM that the key is okay (assuming the key has the pellet in it).