Thread: What do you know about 6T75 and 6L80 90

Advanced Tuner

What do you know about 6T75 and 6L80 90

Hello,

Can anyone help me with the understanding of the shift solenoids between the 6L80 and the 6T75 ...

GM describes the 6L series as having 5 bleed solenoids, but the 6T75 is described as having 6 bleed solenoids.

The controller is built into both series of transmissions.

What I want to do is run a L76 mounted to the 6T75 and have the G8 controller work with all this. Since the 6T75 has the TCM inside just like the 6L transmission, that part should work. However, can HPT tune the 6T75 if the solenoids are not the same?

I see that Midevil has indicated he has ripped several A6 apart, and I was hopeing someone has taken a few 6T75's apart and can indicate big differences.

TIA ....

Loyde Rascoe @ FastFieros of Dallas http://www.fastfieros.com
    Last edited by FastFieros; 10-01-2009 at 03:56 PM. Reason: !

Quote Originally Posted by FastFieros View Post
    Hello,

Can anyone help me with the understanding of the shift solenoids between the 6L80 and the 6T75 ...

GM describes the 6L series as having 5 bleed solenoids, but the 6T75 is described as having 6 bleed solenoids.

The controller is built into both series of transmissions.

What I want to do is run a L76 mounted to the 6T75 and have the G8 controller work with all this. Since the 6T75 has the TCM inside just like the 6L transmission, that part should work. However, can HPT tune the 6T75 if the solenoids are not the same?

I see that Midevil has indicated he has ripped several A6 apart, and I was hopeing someone has taken a few 6T75's apart and can indicate big differences.

TIA ....
    1 big diff. is the the 6T is for transverse Apps. THe 6T is not going to handle the L76 if it catches traction. The TQ is what will kill it. It would take a combo of the G6 and G8 controllers to make it work. The trannies are nothing alike. The 6T is actually an engineering marvel compared to the A6.(FORD maybe? They spent more money on development than GM. They have more.LOL.) The A6 is THE BEST tranny GM has ever produced for performance apps.
    Last edited by midevil1; 06-09-2009 at 09:04 PM. Reason: because
    2023 Ford Edge ST

2020 Ford F150 King Ranch 5.0

Advanced Tuner
    well, today I managed to talk with the lead engineer at GM on the 6T75 transmission... he is also the ex-engineer lead on the 6L80 and 90...

He indicates that the controllers are the same.

the PCM from the G8 will talk to the 6T series just like it does the 6L series.

as to the TQ problem... we are talking about a transmission for a 6000 lb cross over it comes from. I am putting this in a 2700 lb Fiero. I have no problem with driver management on the transmission in the fore going testing stages. If I blow one up, no big deal. So far all the ones I have found for sale are $600 or less with only 4k miles to 10 miles. I will make this work in a Fiero and the sandrails soon. The GM engineer is going to provide me with the hole centers on the casing housing so I dont have to plot and dot the thing.

My understanding of the engines is the L76 is AFM ( arrrrgh ) .. The LS2 in the Trail blazer SS is NOT VVT ... I wanted to stay away from VVT, so I can do the L76 and pull the AFM no problem, or I can get the LS2 and save some work...

The PCM from the Trail Blazer however will not talk to the 6T75, so I have to get the G8 stuff on that.

http://www.fastfieros.com/projects

Advanced Tuner
    Nice project! That 6T is something else!

well, today I managed to talk with the lead engineer at GM on the 6T75 transmission... he is also the ex-engineer lead on the 6L80 and 90...

as to the TQ problem... we are talking about a transmission for a 6000 lb cross over it comes from. I am putting this in a 2700 lb Fiero. I have no problem with driver management on the transmission in the fore going testing stages. If I blow one up, no big deal. So far all the ones I have found for sale are $600 or less with only 4k miles to 10 miles. I will make this work in a Fiero and the sandrails soon. The GM engineer is going to provide me with the hole centers on the casing housing so I dont have to plot and dot the thing.

My understanding of the engines is the L76 is AFM ( arrrrgh ) .. The LS2 in the Trail blazer SS is NOT VVT ... I wanted to stay away from VVT, so I can do the L76 and pull the AFM no problem, or I can get the LS2 and save some work...

The PCM from the Trail Blazer however will not talk to the 6T75, so I have to get the G8 stuff on that.

My Denali weighs 6000lbs.....any of the GM crossovers weighing 6000lbs. needs to get the "Jenny Craig" football team out of them. The fiero is light and that might save it, but this engineer hasn't seen what the "real world" does to trannies. I hope you get it all working. Should be a "1 of a kind" car.
    2023 Ford Edge ST

2020 Ford F150 King Ranch 5.0

Thinking about a future swap using a GM 5.3 Gen IV and a 6T75 trans. Since I will be using GM controls everything should work correctly, correct?

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Updates?

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C