Thread: Cable not found error

Potential Tuner

Cable not found error

Hi,

I just received HPTuners and am not able to get a connection between my truck (01 GMC) and my laptop (newer Toshiba Satellite). It says 'cable not found'.

I have a 2 port serial cardbus made by StarTech that I am using, because of all the problems that I had read about using USB to serial adapters. The serial card installed COM ports 4 and 5. I don't know how to get it on COM1. Is there a way to do it? Do I need to? I can't even find the first 3 COM ports on my laptop. Does HPTuners recognize high COM port numbers?

I have checked the configuration of the COM ports in device manager, and I have checked for 12 volts on pin16 of the OBD2 port on the truck. It had 11.83V. Pin2 only had about 0.3V. I thought it was supposed to be about 3 volts. I've got a charger on the truck now, but I kind of doubt that is my problem. What do you think? Could it be a fuse problem? If so, which fuse? My cig lighter/12V accesory plugs are working fine.

One more possibility. On the COM configuration, my FIFO settings go up to 100, and not 16 like the help file shows. Also, I have some more FIFO configuration settings than the help file shows. I just checked my desktop, and my desktop's FIFO settings on COM1 look just like HPTuner's help file.

I have contacted [email protected], and I will post their suggestions (if they don't chime in here on the forum), and my solution when I find one, for future reference.

Thanks, in advance.
    05 GTO m6&&

Potential Tuner

Re: Cable not found error

Here's an update:

I got an email from Ken@hptuners. He said to try a serial port loop test using hyperterminal in windows.

Here's how to do it, if any of you suspect your serial port or cable is bad.

1. you need to short out pins 2 and 3 on the serial port/cable to make a loopback. I pulled a jumper from my desktop's motherboard and used that to short the pins (on the laptop).

2. open hyperterminal. start/run/hypertrm, or find it under start/programs/accessories/communications

3. on xp, it asks you for a name and an icon. just make up something and pick a random icon.

4. change "connect using" to the com port that you want to test.

5. change your settings to what you want them on (115/8/N/1/N). Flow control has to be none. Hit OK.

6. Type in the blank space. If you see characters, then your com port is working. If you don't believe me, just pull the jumper from the com port, and your typing will stop.

This didn't solve my problem, but it narrowed it down, and it might help someone else.
    05 GTO m6&&

Tuner in Training

I can't remember off the top of my head but you can change whatever port you have to whatever you want. com1,2,3 or 4. You have to change the IRQ and I/O range. You can do a search on google and most likely find a few sites that will give you what resources will give you what com port. You could also do a search for A+ certified study guide and you find it in there.

Potential Tuner

I fixed my problem. It was the 2 port cardbus StarTech serial adapter. It must have been incompatible with HPTuners, or the combination of my laptop and HPTuners. I got a Keyspan USB serial adapter, and now it works fine.
    05 GTO m6&&