Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RWTD - I took your suggestion on MAF only CL

Tuner in Training
    Well I'm glad GM wasted all their time using two tuning methods on a car instead of one!

Man, if they had only known that 1 system would be better then 2. Think of all the money they would have saved. Why would they have even added VE?! You should get hired so you can stop them from "wasting" so much money with their stock tuning.

I wonder how many millions of dollars they spent in R&D just to find out that they didn't need to use VE at all!

So let me get this right, exploring different ways to tune by others should be slammed by someone with such vast knowledge and expertise as yours instead, gee, aren't we all sad now that you won't be adding your input to the forum.
    Free HP Tuners Beginners Tuning Guide

LS1 Tuning Guide
    Michigan Snowmobiler

1969 Firebird: 11.67@114 [email protected] 1/8 1.70 60 ft. EPS cam 234/246 .602.606 114+3, 6.0 LQ4, L92 heads milled 10.5:1, Ported L76 intake, ported 90mm Holley TB, 100mm MAF, FIC Custom injectors, Hooker LT, PYPES dual exhaust with an X pipe, 4L65e with all of the good parts inside, FTI 4000 RPM Stall, 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. HP Tuner tuned by me

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatbum View Post
    Well I'm glad GM wasted all their time using two tuning methods on a car instead of one!

Man, if they had only known that 1 system would be better then 2. Think of all the money they would have saved. Why would they have even added VE?! You should get hired so you can stop them from "wasting" so much money with their stock tuning.

I wonder how many millions of dollars they spent in R&D just to find out that they didn't need to use VE at all!
    Dickhead Dan,

I have nothing to lose with a fool like you, so here goes:

#1: Once you decide to actually take Greg Banish's (who happens to be a close friend and confidant of mine) class, which you've publicly stated you'd love to, then ask him why it's 100% perfectly fine to tune in MAF only mode.

#2: You paid for a MAF only dyno tune from me, not a hybrid. This was explained to you the day of your dyno tune, just like I explained EVERYTHING I was doing (not that I don't love doing that for my customers, but you were like a fly on the wall, hovering around me like the hairs on my nutsack). A full hybrid tune would run you about $800 minimum, and take DRASTICALLY longer than a few hours (the time it took to tune your car), otherwise any other tuner would have given you a hacked up VE and/or MAF table, as well as spark tables, just like the previous tune you came to my shop on.

#3: You specifically made an agreement with me in person and in PM that you would NOT publicly post up my tune, yet you did so here). Not that it matters, as I pretty much give the same tune out for free (just minus the datalogging and fine tuning of such) all over this site for other GTO owners. I just wanted to see how long you'd hold up to your end of the bargain, which was basically zero time at all.

#4: I've watched your posts on this board since back in Jan, and nearly all of them are concerning the subject of this thread, and are attacks, both subtle and obviously, against my abilities (as well as indirectly against countless other enthusiast and professional tuners, including Greg Banish). You did the same thing to XXX on LS2GTO.com, consistently slamming them and their tuning methods, especially after I tuned your car and you went on there comparing how much better in your view my tune was for drivability and power. I haven't even looked at how you've since treated me over on LS2GTO.com, so I can only imagine. It's come to be expected from you.

So start being a real man and quit being so GD immature on the internet with all your stupid e-Drama. There's nothing worse than a lil scrawny know-it-all pussy ass punk who listens to other newbs and takes their advice, and then turns around and spews out uninformed and uneducated information. Grow up and stop being that lil scrawny know-it-all pussy ass punk. I'm actually going to dare you to come to my shop ever again and look at me in anything but a quivering bottom lip.

Quote Originally Posted by 69lt1bird View Post
    So let me get this right, exploring different ways to tune by others should be slammed by someone with such vast knowledge and expertise as yours instead, gee, aren't we all sad now that you won't be adding your input to the forum.
    Bud, that's just it, you won't see him adding anything but e-Drama, as that's all he is. He has zero tuning knowledge in his newb repertoire.
    Last edited by RWTD; 07-22-2009 at 04:42 AM.
    Formerly known as RWTD

Toys: '22 Tesla Model S Plaid / '20 Chevy Duramax / ?20 Sea-Doo RXT-X (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Cantalope Kid View Post
    To tune your MAF you need to be using the MAF!LTFT config. Its different from the one you use to tune your VE table in OLSD.
    So why does this config have LTFT in the file name? isnt dialing in the MAF using WB afr error %?

I'm confused cause the config file has LTFT in it and the filtered histogram file has STFT mentioned in its file name. Im pretty sure LTFT/STFT are disabled and its strictly on AFR error % applied to MAF table.
    Last edited by 07cobaltsupercharged; 07-22-2009 at 04:54 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 07cobaltsupercharged View Post
    So why does this config have LTFT in the file name? isnt dialing in the MAF using WB afr error %?

I'm confused cause the config file has LTFT in it and the filtered histogram file has STFT mentioned in its file name. Im pretty sure LTFT/STFT are disabled and its strictly on AFR error % applied to MAF table.

You're right on track just getting things a little confused.

As far as the filename for the config. You can change it to anything you want when you save it. Its just what the original designer named it.

Truth is not everyone has a wideband...so they tune using the LTFT/STFT method for all cells except PE/WOT. They too have to be able to tune their MAF so yah LTFT/STFT are still enabled in their tunes and they use the them in the scanner as well. Consider if you do have a wideband then you probably have the LTFT/STFT disabled in your tune anyhow and it really doesn't matter if the histogram is setup to show them...you can simply delete them or leave them alone realizing they won't capture any data...doesn't change anything.
    Janky Monkey Tuning

Call or PM for tuning solutions.

Cell 210-954-4985

Wrench turning provided by 2 Tightwads Racing.

Tune your own? Start here ----> Open Editor ---> Hit F1...READ!

READ SOME MORE (Thank username 69Lt1bird): http://ls1tuningguide.com/

Still lost? Consult a Pro!

www.thetuningschool.com
    www.calibratedsuccess.com
    www.tunedbyfrost.com

Thanks! I figured I was confused but doing it the right way. There is a MAF error histo in the hptuners histogram folder to use so I wasnt sure why anyone needs to use this other one if they do the same thing.

Anyway I got all night here at work to be on here learning all sorts of things. Next up is my torque management settings....

ouch, interesting read!

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

Tuner in Training
    Hi, tried this on my buddies 04 silvorado with cam and worked great. Thanks! But 1 quick question, I have a 98 with the old style vortec and there is no high speed disable option, is there another way I can make it run maf only? thanks
    98 1500 scsb lowered, cowl hood, roll pan, shaved molding, tailgate handle and antena. 305 vortec, 100 shot, 4l80e, New engine in the works, and hp tuners!

This is all going over my head. I need to take the class. My car won't run, and cant get no help! I guess I will take it somewhere and keep getting ass raped until someone gets it right.
    1967 camaro LS2/M6
    2001 Formula LS1/A4

Quote Originally Posted by 1genls2 View Post
    This is all going over my head. I need to take the class. My car won't run, and cant get no help! I guess I will take it somewhere and keep getting ass raped until someone gets it right.
    No need to sacrifice yourself,

Post up the mods to you car and the tune file and a good log file. Do you have a wideband?

LS1 Tuning Guide
    Michigan Snowmobiler

1969 Firebird: 11.67@114 [email protected] 1/8 1.70 60 ft. EPS cam 234/246 .602.606 114+3, 6.0 LQ4, L92 heads milled 10.5:1, Ported L76 intake, ported 90mm Holley TB, 100mm MAF, FIC Custom injectors, Hooker LT, PYPES dual exhaust with an X pipe, 4L65e with all of the good parts inside, FTI 4000 RPM Stall, 12 bolt with 3.73 gears. HP Tuner tuned by me

I wish I could, I can post the tune. Like I said it wont start, It cranks for 2 sec. then kills, VATS is off. Weird, What kind of harness did you use LT1BIRD? The car used to run, I changed the tune and it would not run, swapped back to the original tune and it still dont run. Got fuel, air, and spark, good compression. I need help, I need to get with that guy selling the home class!
    1967 camaro LS2/M6
    2001 Formula LS1/A4

I modified the truck harness that came with my 6.0L

What do you mean it cranks for 2 sec and then kills?

Be detailed.
    When you turn the key on does the fuel pump cycle for 2 seconds?
    Does it crank? yes or no
    If it cranks, does it try to start? yes or no
    If it fires how long does it run?

Post the tune.
    What harness are you using?
    Have you checked the basics, fuses all good etc.
    Check ALL ground wires, front of heads, back of heads, make sure you have a ground front the engine to the subframe and subframe to the body on the first gen or it can cause issues.

There, now you have work to do.

LS1 Tuning Guide
    Michigan Snowmobiler

I have a Howell harness, Fuel pump cycles, it is grounded, it cranks and tries to run but dies. Can't even keep it running with throttle. everything in the car is new. I dont have ground wire from body to subframe but subframe is soild mounted. I will put one on, good catch! It just ran a little longer than usual. I will post the log. Thanks in advance 69LT1BIRD
    P.S. I have a good buddy in Grand Rapids, Nice place!!!
    1967 camaro LS2/M6
    2001 Formula LS1/A4

Hope this works.
    1967 camaro LS2/M6
    2001 Formula LS1/A4

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? If so, check your pressure at the rail.
    How is your fuel system configured, tank, pump, regulator etc.

LS1 Tuning Guide
    Michigan Snowmobiler

tank, pump, right rail, left rail, regulator, back to tank. 60lbs. Done the injector value table. all aeromotive componets.
    1967 camaro LS2/M6
    2001 Formula LS1/A4

Tuner in Training
    If anyone could please answer this question for me i would really appreciate it. I have asked twice already but I guess maybe the form moves to fast for mine to be read.Hi, tried this on my buddies 04 silvorado with cam and worked great. Thanks! But 1 quick question, I have a 98 with the old style vortec and there is no high speed disable option, is there another way I can make it run maf only? thanks
    98 1500 scsb lowered, cowl hood, roll pan, shaved molding, tailgate handle and antena. 305 vortec, 100 shot, 4l80e, New engine in the works, and hp tuners!

Quote Originally Posted by 1genls2 View Post
    tank, pump, right rail, left rail, regulator, back to tank. 60lbs. Done the injector value table. all aeromotive componets.
    The next test is do you have power to the fuel pump while cranking. It is an easy mistake in a swap. The fuel pump relay needs a power feed while the engine is cranking not just in run. Hook up a test light or meter to the power side of the pump and crank it over, see if you have power.

LS1 Tuning Guide
    Michigan Snowmobiler

I just pulled the spark plugs and they are EXTREMLY rich! swapped them out with new ones, and the car ran GOOD for about 45 sec. then started running bad again. Pulled the brand new plug out and they were super rich again! I dont know what to do. The fuel pump is on when the engine is cranking, Thanks again.
    1967 camaro LS2/M6
    2001 Formula LS1/A4

are there any mods to the LS2 or is it stock?
    are the injectors stock?
    What base tune did you use to start with? make model year

Post your tune file.

LS1 Tuning Guide
    Michigan Snowmobiler