Thread: Hummer H3 3.5 I5 Auto

Tuner in Training

Hummer H3 3.5 I5 Auto

Anyone had any success with enhancements on the Hummer H3 3.5 I5 4speed auto
    Please share experience...

Success depends on what you are shootng for to a degree.

A few of us have....myself, I've picked up mpg (my priority), smoothed my accel, firmed up shifts and adjusted for larger tires, and I have picked up some power too (comparing my stock tune to my current tune and using the 'butt dyno'). I haven't had the time or money to get my truck on the dyno to compare, but I'm pretty sure a couple of the other guys have with their 3.5 A4. You'll see really quick that there's not many I5/6 guys on here.
    Hawk

Tuner in Training

i 5 A4 rare

Hawkz28,
    Thanks brother. There is not a whole lot to find here on the i5 a4 as you said...
    There was not much to find on other tuner sites either. Guess most of the truck community with these i5 are somewhat satisfied and not hot rod minded like the performance community in general.

Many have the tunes from what seen on misc forums but are not doing themselves

You bet. I think a LOT of the guys are not only intimidated by the learning curve associated w/ the software, even more so when you can get a canned tune for $150 vs buying the software for at least $500, wideband, and having to spend months learning.

I'd have gone w/ a canned tune if I wouldn't of had 3 vehicles I could tune right away, and I like knowing and saying that I did it myself.
    Hawk

Tuner in Training
    I just picked up an 08 H3 manual and want to make some adjustments.
    mainly I'm looking for fuel economy

has anyone played with DFCO settings on these?

What I did on mine for DFCO was made it go into DFCO sooner and stay in it longer. I haven't looked at the 3.7 tune I have in a while, but I'm pretty sure it's the same in regards to DFCO.

One thing I do remember I had problems with (at least with mine) was getting it too deep into DFCO and it getting an annoying stumble transferring to idle. I was able to fix it by raising the disable RPM IIRC.
    Hawk

Tuner in Training

Any luck?

Quote Originally Posted by csxtreme View Post
    I just picked up an 08 H3 manual and want to make some adjustments.
    mainly I'm looking for fuel economy

has anyone played with DFCO settings on these?
    Your 3.7 i5 manual DFCO setings...
    Did you make any attempts?

Tuner in Training
    not yet
    getting a wierd message today and cant even open the file

What does the message say?
    Hawk

Tuner in Training
    unable to open file. Index was outside the bounds of the arrary

Tuner in Training
    Hawk...
    Have you had any luck with it...

Quote Originally Posted by csxtreme View Post
    unable to open file. Index was outside the bounds of the arrary
    What version of HPT are you using- 2.22? That sounds alot like what happens when you try and open a beta file (2.23 version) w/ 2.22.

Otherwise, try reinstalling your software and/or the update. If it was opening it fine before, sometimes you just need to do that or restart the laptop once in a while is what I've found.

Double check w/ Bill or the guys at support though. I don't claim to be a doctor nor do I play one on tv, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn 3 nights this week!
    Hawk

Quote Originally Posted by wpage View Post
    Hawk...
    Have you had any luck with it...
    I enabled similar settings to my 05 3.5 on our 02 TB w/ a 4.2 I6. 55 miles into a trip, when I tapped the brakes and let DFCO kick in and ride it all the way to the stop at the exit ramp, I picked up .1mpg according to the MPG gauge in the DIC. Every little bit helps. Overall, I think I read it's good for about .5 mpg at best.

You can tell from the exhaust note with the I5 and 6 that it's in DFCO. Especially if you have an aftermarket system. Coastdown sounds/feels completely different, and your STFT locks at 0. Maybe it's just me .
    Hawk

Tuner in Training
    yeah I had to email and get 2.23 again