Thread: help with shifting tune

Tuner

help with shifting tune

On my 2000 gmc the tranny is tune to shift on its own when using the tow haul,is their away to setup a ls2 gto to do the same thing, I know I can't do the tow haul thing, but can I make shift from first to second without manually doing it.

I may be wrong, but I believe the tow button on your truck just locks out overdrive (possibly disabling torque converter lockup, but maybe just moving up the lockup point speed). Also, when you take the tranny out of overdrive, or 3rd gear in a GM 4 speed auto, the whatyacallit band inside the tranny will engage to help the clutch packs hold gear. A secret to keeping the GM 4 speeds from melting is to never go into WOT unless you put your gear selector is in 3rd gear first. In stock form, the transmission is MUCH stronger when not in the 4 gear setting on the selector.

Quote Originally Posted by c131frdave View Post
    I may be wrong, but I believe the tow button on your truck just locks out overdrive (possibly disabling torque converter lockup, but maybe just moving up the lockup point speed).
    you are incorrect.
    the tow haul button is similar to the "performance" button found in some cars of similar vintage. it uses different tables of when to shift, shift firmness and speed.

the the OP: I don't understand the question, an automatic transmission, when the conditions are met the auto transmission will shift.
    2009 Sierra CCSB 5.3 A6 4X4
    2003 Silverado ECSB 4.Late/Auto SOLD

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickvrebel View Post
    you are incorrect.
    the tow haul button is similar to the "performance" button found in some cars of similar vintage. it uses different tables of when to shift, shift firmness and speed.

the the OP: I don't understand the question, an automatic transmission, when the conditions are met the auto transmission will shift.
    I guess what am asking is that I want to be able to put the car in first gear, but make the car shift to 2nd without me manually shifting, at wot. see on the truck I was able to push the tow haul button and it did all the shifting for me,well thats the way the pcm was setup. I know I cant do the same on the gto. But can I make it shift on is own if I keep it in 1st.

Advanced Tuner
    What? What are you trying to make it do different than just putting it in D?

BTW, this belongs in the GEN III or trans section, not GEN IV

Tuner
    [QUOTE=PitchblackC3;209078]What? What are you trying to make it do different than just putting it in D?

BTW, this belongs in the GEN III or trans section, not GEN IV[/QUOTE

Lets say I take the car to the track am gonna take off in first and shift to second and so on, instead of me having to manually shifting I want the pcm to do it for me,like that I dont run the chance of hitting the rpm limiter.

Advanced Tuner
    So just put it in D or 3