Thread: Wideband O2 and Connections

Wideband O2 and Connections

Howdy,

I have ordered my EIO from HPTuners(I got sick of messing with LTFT's+ STFT) and dont want to hire a dyno at probably the cost if not more of buying a WBo2.

Ive ordered the Techedge Wideband (2A0) o2 Kit (yes kit , yes it takes ages to put together for a novice like me but it IS possible).

Ive free-to-air calibrated the wideband unit and im getting some o2 bungs put in the exhaust. Yes, i said BUNGS. Im getting one bung thrown in each bank as most of my logs show bank1 runs richer than bank2, im not sure which one to go by , so for the limited hassle, i'll try and use both banks and even out the results.

My real question is, how do some/all of the wideband units connect up to HPTuners EIO Interface. I can only find limited information (via searching) on what WBo2's are even supported and even less information on how they are connected up to the EIO. (Maybe a sticky needs to be created for supported WBo2 Types and how you connect them !).

My EIO should be in the post tonight, ive got my o2 kit all done and ready, but what connects the two ?? If it reads via the serial from the TE 2A0, then i need to get another usb->serial converter for my lappy, if it runs from *some* wire on teh TE 2A0, where do i run it from etc ?

If this info is somewhere else, im happy to go read another link

Thanks

Ross

Potential Tuner

Re: Wideband O2 and Connections

Hi Ross,
    I'm in the procees of doing the same thing, still waiting for the WO@ from techedge.

The way I'll aproach this is to get some eight conductor shielded cable and make a purpose built cable to suit ie RJ45 to serial/flying leads.

Basically, get another RJ45 and DB9 connector connect the Tx/Rx as per the link @ http://wbo2.com/2a0/2a0info.htm, and have the the WBlin o/p, and a spliced GND wire as fying leads so to connect to the HP EIO. These two flying leads will connect to GND pin 5 and one of the A/D inputs (1-4) of te EIO connector.

This option will give you the flexibility of calibrating the WBO2 and connection to EIO.

Hope this helps

Excellent,

Thanks for that , i didnt see that rj45 pinout for all the times ive tried looking. Ive done too much looking at that website building the kit

I gather i dont actually need TX/RX wired, since i dont need it plugged into laptop for serial(only for calibration, but you get an rj45-db9 supplied in the kit for that), i just need the WBlin output which i can now see.

I will grab some shielded wiring and give it a go.

( I did find a heap of stuff in the help file eventually)

Thanks for your help.

Ross

Tuner

Does anyone have this information in English, lol. I know I have to buy a different HPtuner cable ($150), then buy a wideband kit like LM-1 kit from Innovative, but which kit from innovative do i need and how exactly does it all go together? What would be the total cost? Looks like $600 or more.
    02 GMC Sierra 2500HD CC 4X4 6.0L LME 408 w/ET245, Kenne Bell 2.8L, Yank SC3000

In the standard helpfile it lists the following Widebands that have predefined inputs in HPTuners for the hardware support

Wide Band O2 - LM1
    Wide Band O2 - TE 2A0
    Wide Band O2 - PLX
    Wide Band O2 - Autronic MAFM1
    Wide Band O2 - AEM
    Wide Band O2 - DynoJet
    Wide Band O2 - FJO
    Wide Band O2 - Zeitronix

Given that, you link those units via WBlinOUT (Wideband linear out) to the Enhanced IO HPTuners interface. (The EIO has a header and wires coming from it that you use for this mated to the correct wire on the wbo2 unit).

What wideband you get depends on what one you want, whether you want it display something on the unit, on a remote gauge on your dash or not display anything but in HPTuners.

So yes, you need atleast the EIO and then any of the supported widebands.

There will be other widebands that will work, satisfaction may vary, they need to conform to HPTuners spec for Wbo2's on the inputs (0-5v?? im not sure).

I went for the TechEdge(TE) 2A0 in a kit form and soldered it together myself. It doesnt have a display etc as all im using it for is via HPTuners and will suit my needs. The kit cost me just over $300AUS including delivery etc, in USD that would obviously be cheaper also as you dont have to pay our GST (Goods and services tax). You can get pre-built units aswell if your not great with a soldering ircon.

Having said that, i should get my o2 bungs in tomorrow afternoon, so i can start to test things.

I will more than likely take some piccies as i do things and make a small webpage somewhere so all can see what i did in my particular case.

Hope this has helped

Ross

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)

Quote Originally Posted by DanaliHD
    Does anyone have this information in English, lol. I know I have to buy a different HPtuner cable ($150), then buy a wideband kit like LM-1 kit from Innovative, but which kit from innovative do i need and how exactly does it all go together? What would be the total cost? Looks like $600 or more.
    just buy the lc-1...it's $199 including the sensor and very easy installation/hookup...plus you'd need to upgrade your hptuners to the enhanced version if you already havent which yes is ~$150+shipping...the lc-1 by innovate may take a couple weeks longer to receive but you dont have to put it together yourself yet its just as cost effective
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner

Ok, i do think the LC-1 is all I would really need because i'll just use hptuner to display the a/f ratio. So all I need is the lc-1 and the eio then have somone put the bung inplace somewhere and figure out how to get the wire into the cab of the truck right? Am I missing anything? Where's the best place to put the bung for the sensor?

From what i understand, the bung needs to be before the cats and after where all pipes from the one engine bank meet.

So say youve got 4into1 extractors, you would put it in the lower part of the extractors collector, where all 4 pipes meet up but before the cats.

Somewhere i guess close to the narrowband o2's but not directly opposite or before/after so that it doesnt disrupt airflow to the narrowband ones.

Ross

Potential Tuner

For you tech edge guys, can you use a cigarette adapter on the power input? I just bought a 2C0 unit and my cig lighter as a powersource would be convenient. How many amps does it operate at?

I believe it pulls 2-3 amps, so cigarette lighter socket should be fine.

I hard-wired mine into the stereo power loom, so that it came on with accessories and stayed on until car gets turned off to ensure im allways heating that O2 sensor.

Ross

Tuner

LC-1 is here, EIO is on it's way. Can anyone tell me EXACTLY how to hook this up to my truck? I'll be using my laptop and HPtuners to log a/f ratio.

Tuner in Training

I'm curious about the LC-1.. cheap and something I could really use with the hassles I'm going through right now trying to figure out where the heck my car is in relation to AFR....

Please post how you guys make out hooking this thing up and any details! It'd be a great help!
    1998 WS6 M6