Thread: Misfire counter by cylinder

Tuner in Training

Misfire counter by cylinder

In the Scanner is it possible to see the misfire counter by cylinder? This is in a 2004 Sierra 5.3l.

This morning my truck started misfiring badly (MIL flashing) but the only code I get is a generic P0300. The GM Service Manual for the truck suggests that the GM tools have misfire counters per cylinder (P6-2519) but I didn't see that in the quick peak I had in the VCM scanner. Is it in there and I missed it?

From looking at the general engine operating parameters I tend to think my issue is with bank 1. The O2 readings on bank 1 are pretty flaky shooting up and down very very quickly even while ideling. Bank 2 O2 looks much more normal with a slower dithering happening on it.

Because of the long tube headers on the engine it is something of a pain to pull the plugs so I was hoping to find which cylinder the computer was having the problem with ahead of time.

Thanks,

Shawn

Re: Misfire counter by cylinder

Quote Originally Posted by sfogg
    In the Scanner is it possible to see the misfire counter by cylinder? This is in a 2004 Sierra 5.3l.

This morning my truck started misfiring badly (MIL flashing) but the only code I get is a generic P0300. The GM Service Manual for the truck suggests that the GM tools have misfire counters per cylinder (P6-2519) but I didn't see that in the quick peak I had in the VCM scanner. Is it in there and I missed it?

From looking at the general engine operating parameters I tend to think my issue is with bank 1. The O2 readings on bank 1 are pretty flaky shooting up and down very very quickly even while ideling. Bank 2 O2 looks much more normal with a slower dithering happening on it.

Because of the long tube headers on the engine it is something of a pain to pull the plugs so I was hoping to find which cylinder the computer was having the problem with ahead of time.

Thanks,

Shawn
    Sure can. Go to Insert PID Table>Engine Diagnostics>Misfire. There are current, history, and many other misfire PID's there.
    Aaron

'03 Z06 Corvette - The Normal Stuff.....
    EFI-101, EFI Advanced, EFILive-101, Variable Camshaft Tuning
    EFI University Evangelist

Tuner in Training

Great, thanks for the info! I will have to give that a try and see where it thinks the problem is.

Thanks again,

Shawn

Tuner in Training

OK, I grabbed the data from the truck and looked at it in the editor but I don't see exactly what you said. I don't see an option to Add DTC anywhere.

In the VCM Editor Engine Diagnostics section I see I can pull up tables for MisFire Max Time Between Events By Cylinder vs. VE% but I don't see how that table actually tells me which cylinder it is looking at. Is that even for current misfire events or is that just setting the limits for what the computer considers mifiring?

I don't see anything else like that in the rest of the Editor or the Scanner.

Thanks,

Shawn

Tuner in Training

Nevermind, I was able to pull the misfire history using Vehicle Explorer from OBD-2.com.

I had a few misfires on most of my cylinders and 5000+ on #5.

Looks like my Magnecor KV85 on #5 split open and was shorting out.

Thanks,

Shawn

in the scanner table display you need to right click and then select "insert", another window will open with many, many PIDs to choose from. The ones you are after are under "Engine Diagnostics -> Misfire"

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...