Thread: HP vs LS1 Edit when SD tuning

Potential Tuner

HP vs LS1 Edit when SD tuning

HP is FAR superior to LS1 edit. How are people with LS1 edit tuning cars for SD if HP can't....it can, from my understanding, but you have to get 1.7 if you want to the car to run off the primary table. I'm wanting to tune my car so that I don't have to rely on the MAF nor the 02 sensors...it runs strictly off the VE tables. Is this possible? Can I do this? I would think so...esp. if Edit is capable of it.

Thanks
    Scott

Re: HP vs LS1 Edit when SD tuning

Quote Originally Posted by ScottB
    HP is FAR superior to LS1 edit. How are people with LS1 edit tuning cars for SD if HP can't....it can, from my understanding, but you have to get 1.7 if you want to the car to run off the primary table. I'm wanting to tune my car so that I don't have to rely on the MAF nor the 02 sensors...it runs strictly off the VE tables. Is this possible? Can I do this? I would think so...esp. if Edit is capable of it.

Thanks
    Scott
    People have been tuning cars SD with our software since before we released it eg. i run our 2bar SD setup on my own car.

Your combo sounds like you want to run both open loop and SD. To do this you need to do the following:
    - set the closed loop enable temperature to something really high (Engine->FuelControl->Open and Closed Loop)
    - set the OpenLoop F/A table to your desired values
    - set the PE table to your desired values
    - unplug the MAF
    - tune the VE table until the actual measured AFR (on a WBO2) = the commanded AFR logged in the scanner.
    - if you have the EIO interface and a WBO2 with analog output you can log the AFR % error directly into a histogram and in a couple of clicks correct the VE table by the required amount using our copy/paste special feature.

Also, if you have a 99 or later vehicle that uses the secondary VE table, our new "1bar SD Enhanced" package enables use of the larger primary VE table, also enables high and low octane tables again and also includes a new TPS based modifier. only $49 for a single vehicle license.

Chris...
    I count sheep in hex...

Potential Tuner

I have been doing the above, but I just have a few random questions. I went into the open loop AFR table, changed it to 13.0. I have the car on a WB now. For the most part, AFR is 13.0. From what I have read on boards, it says to change the values in open loop/AFR back to orginal....why??

Say a person wanted to do away with the o2 sensors....what would need to be done? Is there really any reason to do this?

Since I don't want to use the MAF, is there any need to re-enable LTFT learning?

I'm sure I'll think of some more odd-ball questions.

Thanks
    Scott

I have been doing the above, but I just have a few random questions. I went into the open loop AFR table, changed it to 13.0. I have the car on a WB now. For the most part, AFR is 13.0. From what I have read on boards, it says to change the values in open loop/AFR back to orginal....why??
    This assumes you want to use the car for normal use, whereby you might actually want fuel economy, by commanding a 13:1 AFR all the time your going to suffer reduced fuel economy. Changing open loop temp back to normal just puts the reliance back on the o2 sensors for maintaining 14.7:1 and adjusting your LTFT's as required.

Say a person wanted to do away with the o2 sensors....what would need to be done? Is there really any reason to do this?
    Your effectivly doing away with them by going into open loop, the o2 sensors arnt used for monitoring AFR.

If you physically wanted to remove them, youd need bung plugs to fill the holes they leave and probably a resistor of some sort so the VCM thinks the o2's are there and doesnt error because of it.(possibly turning off the codes too, I have no idea of the physical reliance on 02's in the code of the PCM)

Since I don't want to use the MAF, is there any need to re-enable LTFT learning?
    LTFT's are there to *learn* from situations that affect the engine, things like air cleaner elements blocking up over time, weather conditions etc, it definitly does no harm leaving them on.

I'm sure I'll think of some more odd-ball questions.

Thanks
    Scott
    Go for it , we all have to learn

Ross

Senior Tuner

Our Z28 race car runs open loop SD mode. All you do is disable the closed loop like Chris said and delete the O2 codes. No problems at all. What other questions did you have?

Potential Tuner

Thanks for all the help!

Where I am at now, I feel I have the VE table about where I want it. Do I re-enable the stock open loop AFR table, reenable LTFT's, and just leave the temp out of range for the MAF to not work, copy and paste my secondary tables to the primary and fill in the gaps....anything else I am missing?

I think I will order the 1.7. Tuning off the secondary table sucks, there are big gaps

Scott