Thread: Logging Traction and Wheel Spin (cobalt ss LNF)

Logging Traction and Wheel Spin (cobalt ss LNF)

OK, as i am sure most of you 4cyl tuners know, FWD is a PITA to get and keep power to the ground.
    So i am trying to tune for traction and power.... but it isnt so easy to tune around it when it isnt always obvious where it happens. So i was trying to think of ways to monitor traction loss and wheel spin.

Yeah you can compare mph to rpm and look for bumps in the corelation... but that is not too accurate and very time consuming. Also, that doesnt help at all with clutch slippage or anything... (a problem i have recently been coming into)

Well, i was thinking about it... the CAR knows when it loses traction... for the ESC and traction control and ABS... So why cant we tap into that same info?
    I was looking for a way to log wheel speed sensors... or at very least tap into what ever the ESC / Low Traction light gets its data from....

If we could tap into and log this data, it would help greatly with seeing where tires are slipping, or distinuishing between wheel spin and clutch slippage.

Also would give a better indication of phantom knock... because i tend to trip my knock sensors alot when the tires start jumping..

So... any help on tracking down the data from the wheel speed sensors would be greatly useful to me, and probably anyone else dealing with traction issues.

I am personally dealing with this on a cobalt SS turbo. 2008 lnf.

thank you in advance for your help on this!

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ksoggs View Post
    OK, as i am sure most of you 4cyl tuners know, FWD is a PITA to get and keep power to the ground.
    So i am trying to tune for traction and power.... but it isnt so easy to tune around it when it isnt always obvious where it happens. So i was trying to think of ways to monitor traction loss and wheel spin.

Yeah you can compare mph to rpm and look for bumps in the corelation... but that is not too accurate and very time consuming. Also, that doesnt help at all with clutch slippage or anything... (a problem i have recently been coming into)

Well, i was thinking about it... the CAR knows when it loses traction... for the ESC and traction control and ABS... So why cant we tap into that same info?
    I was looking for a way to log wheel speed sensors... or at very least tap into what ever the ESC / Low Traction light gets its data from....

If we could tap into and log this data, it would help greatly with seeing where tires are slipping, or distinuishing between wheel spin and clutch slippage.

Also would give a better indication of phantom knock... because i tend to trip my knock sensors alot when the tires start jumping..

So... any help on tracking down the data from the wheel speed sensors would be greatly useful to me, and probably anyone else dealing with traction issues.

I am personally dealing with this on a cobalt SS turbo. 2008 lnf.

thank you in advance for your help on this!
    You can try logging the PIDs "Traction Control Desired Torque" and "Traction Control Torque" found in the Transmission_Traction Control PID listings.

Also, you can monitor your "ETC Desired Position" & "ETC Position" under the Engine_General PID listings as I've seen the ETC close a little while triggering TC. I've also noticed when there is wheel spin, my timing drops to zero/goes slightly negative and my cam angles drop to zero. Not sure if this would be evident with clutch slip as well but I don't know.
    09 RY Cobalt SS Coupe - 19K miles - Bolt ons + 7163 ZFR, HP tuned on ethanol

Sold - 09 SRTC Cobalt SS Sedan
    Totaled - 09 VR Cobalt SS Sedan
    Sold - 09 RY Cobalt SS Sedan

I have never gotten a reading on either traction control pids. Always log them, but they do nothing.
    And I will look into the etc and timing and cams, but I was going for something more concrete. Like rw speed sensors... Just compare them to actual mph, and bam you know exactly when and how much wheel spin.