Thread: Tuning Stock 2008 GMC Yukon Denali 6.2

Tuner in Training

Tuning Stock 2008 GMC Yukon Denali 6.2

Trying to tune bone stock 2008 GMC Yukon Denali 6.2. Where to start?

I have LC1 but didn't set it up yet.

Tuner
    MAF, PE ratio and spark, torque management and shiftpoints.
    nice truck bro, congrats - pics?

Tuner in Training
    Thanks bro.

Pics attached

come up to kuwait and see what we've been doing with Denalis

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

I wouldn't waste your time doing a wideband tune with it being stock, but you can if you want. The biggest fixes in the truck tunes are what 6.0_VHO already pointed out. Changing the PE enrichment rate to 1.0 makes the biggest difference, and you can lean out the PE EQ ratio too. Stock usually they command something like a 10.5-11.4 at WOT depending on the vehicle which is a tid bit rich. You can put the whole table to 1.147 (12.8 afr) to be on the safe side.

Spark tuning is easy, just datalog and see what cell range you're in at WOT and change it accordingly. I have noticed that the stock knock sensors are crazy sensitive, you can de-sensitize them a bit if you like. Increasing the knock thresholds by about 30-40% helps keep any false knock out of the logs. A good tune on the Denali/Escalade really makes them a totally different vehicle to drive.
    '20 AT4
    '01 Suburban 2500 Dad Wagon

Tuner in Training
    could you please be more specific on adding spark ? when dataloggin where should I keep my eyes ? and is adding 2* of timing every try enough ? How would I know what rpm needs more timing ?

And waht do I have to do for maf calibration ?

and last but not least is does these steps suite the LS3 auto corvette as well ?

keep your eyes on KR counts... look at the adders/subtractors, main table, variable cam spark tables and adjust from there..

the LS3 doesn't have VVT.. but there is a way around tuning the Denali like an LS3, but some ppl don't agree on it...

Bader Norris
    MEP Tuned
    Telephone: +965-55446651
    Email: [email protected]
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by jakebdb56 View Post
    I wouldn't waste your time doing a wideband tune with it being stock, but you can if you want. The biggest fixes in the truck tunes are what 6.0_VHO already pointed out. Changing the PE enrichment rate to 1.0 makes the biggest difference, and you can lean out the PE EQ ratio too. Stock usually they command something like a 10.5-11.4 at WOT depending on the vehicle which is a tid bit rich. You can put the whole table to 1.147 (12.8 afr) to be on the safe side.

Spark tuning is easy, just datalog and see what cell range you're in at WOT and change it accordingly. I have noticed that the stock knock sensors are crazy sensitive, you can de-sensitize them a bit if you like. Increasing the knock thresholds by about 30-40% helps keep any false knock out of the logs. A good tune on the Denali/Escalade really makes them a totally different vehicle to drive.
    Under what tables are you increasing the knock thresholds 30-40%? I believe that I am getting some false KR in some lower RPMs.

the tip in vs rpm table if i remember correctly. i don't have the software on this computer, but it's under engine>spark>knock sensors

i've seen that on the 6.2 motors if you just rev them up you'll get kr and then a little burst knock on the decel of the rev. always see it in the 1200-3600 rpm range for some reason. this is the only reason i would increase the thresholds of the sensors just so you don't get false knock. now if you're running crap gas you'll see knock on a stock tune and can hear it usually. modify at your own risk, it works for me but i use it with caution only when i really need to
    '20 AT4

Where the hell was this thread when I started tuning? Haha, Adjusting the High Oct, Low Oct, Coastdown, and DFCO Entry and Exit spark will benefit your tune.... Like Jake said, reduce the damn sensitivity on the Knock Sensors! Oh! To make a Log easier to read to make adjustments, Speed up your Knock Fast recovery rate to see where it's pinging at if you have too much timing in it. This takes alot of guess work out of the Timing table tweakage. For a stock 6.2 on 93 Octane I'd go like.... 16 degrees down low up to 24 on the high end.
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

word. lol.

The stock thresholds are just so low in proportion compared to GenIII setups. Although they're mounted differently and such, a stock setting of 50mv given a range of 0-3200 is low. Some cars/trucks have no problem with it, and some just knock like crazy off the lot.
    '20 AT4

Thanks for the help in locating the knock sensor sensetivity. I have 26 degrees of timing up in the high rpms and don't have any knock up there while running California 91 octane gas. Like said above, when just reving the engine KR will show up all over. And when driving, if I am at a stop and just hit the gas ever so slightly I get KR in the 800-1400 range. I have lowered and lowered timing but it always shows AT LEAST 2 degrees of KR. The truck started getting to the point where it would "buck" around 1200-1400rpm because of the reduced timing. That is also where the Variable Cam Spark table adds a lot of timing on top of what you have so I put that back to where the truck runs really great all over at any rpms. I just believe the knock thresholds are WAY too sensetive. I don't want to go to dangerous levels of modifying them, obviously, but what are you guys setting them at?

Right now my Knock Sensor Initial Level is set at 240mV and the Min Level is set at 60mV. I would like to know some input from you guys before changing them any more.

Tuner
    Is it possible that it is Burst knock and not real knock? I had to half my entire Burst knock table to get it to be a little more reasonable. Just a thought.
    07 Avalanche Exhaust & CAI

Quote Originally Posted by SilverG View Post
    Is it possible that it is Burst knock and not real knock? I had to half my entire Burst knock table to get it to be a little more reasonable. Just a thought.
    I agree with this. Just Disable Burst Knock and try it. Also when the knock shows up on the log, is it audible?
    Gray Ghost- The abomination. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado CCSB. 98mm turbo, nitrous, 428LSX, Rossler 80E with a brake. Finally finished. 23 psi, no numbers, Slow as hell.

PBM G8- Aluminum 364, twin Precision 67/66 turbos, 6L90 trans swap, CTS-V/Vaporworx fuel system, slowly making progress.

Dads 2011 CTS-V- Stock bottom end, stock heads, LS9 cam, pullies, ported blower, ported TB, D3 goodies, and lots of nitrous.
    618/618 motor
    906/862 spray

Caterpillar 50 Forklift- Duramax swap

Tuner
    I going to go ahead and bring this back from the dead, but as far as the knock sensors go. To make them less sensitive do you multiply by a cetain % to the threshold tables around divide it?
    15 C7Z M7

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffo60 View Post
    I going to go ahead and bring this back from the dead, but as far as the knock sensors go. To make them less sensitive do you multiply by a cetain % to the threshold tables around divide it?
    Increasing the values will desensitize them. Just read the descriptors provided for each table and you'll figure it out. Reading goes a long way with tuning in general...
    '20 AT4