Thread: Happy with tuning results so far

Happy with tuning results so far

I have been working on the tune on my 2012 Cruze 1.4t/a6 for about 2 weeks or so. I started with the transmisson stuff then I moved on to the engine once I got a bung welded in for the wideband. I am not trying to make a race car out of this thing but I must say I am pleased with how it has responded to some tweaking. I have the thing barking the tires when it shifts to 2nd, and the other day on some smooth asphalt I heard it squeak when I shifted to 3rd!

Last night I went to my local 1/8th mile track to see if I could quantify the seat of the pants performance increase. I made 2 runs back to back with the stock tune which were 10.95 and 10.86 I then tried my tune and made 2 more back to back runs which came in at 10.18 and 10.16

After the sun went down and the car cooled for about an hour I managed to run a 9.97 at 69.58 mph.

I never got my 2007 Civic SI in the 9's and it was rated around 200hp (it was bone stock) although the MPH was better on the Honda. So I am happy at this point to have a fun little driver that gets decent fuel economy.
    2012 Cruze 1.4T, mods to come.....
    1994 Chev Work Truck 6 liter with PT76GTS/4L80e
    1993 S10 Blazer AWD 6 liter with LS3 heads/4L80e

Tuner in Training
    Congrats. That is a decent increase for a little 1.4L motor.
    Did you ever get the throttle closing at the shifts issue figured out? Is so do you mind sharing?

Quote Originally Posted by Regalgse View Post
    Congrats. That is a decent increase for a little 1.4L motor.
    Did you ever get the throttle closing at the shifts issue figured out? Is so do you mind sharing?
    Yes the throttle closing seems to be fixed. I read the help section (after I found it lol). I honestly dont know for sure what fixed the throttle problem as I made lots of changes but I think it was mainly in the driver demand torque tables. I also disabled something called "torque shaping"? Dunno what that is but it sounded like it needed to be turned off lol.

Here is the file I am currently running if anyone wants to look at it and offer opinions/ideas.

And here is the log from the 9.97 1/8th mile pass for anyone who wants to view it.

if you want others to view it correctly post a config file that you set up also.

Quote Originally Posted by ericemir View Post
    if you want others to view it correctly post a config file that you set up also.
    I guess that would help!

Heres my config....

Quote Originally Posted by l-eater View Post
    2012 Cruze 1.4t/a6 I have the thing barking the tires when it shifts to 2nd, and the other day on some smooth asphalt I heard it squeak when I shifted to 3rd!
    your automatic is barking the tires when it shifts?
    2008 Sky RL

Quote Originally Posted by |V3nom| View Post
    your automatic is barking the tires when it shifts?
    Yes, it barks the 1-2 pretty good. If I manually shift it I can make it bark 2-3 about 1 out of 4 times lol. I am very happy with the way the trans works since tuning. I drove my wifes un-tune 2012 Equinox the difference is night and day.

Tuner in Training
    omg barking the tires with a cruze. let me say this i work for gm toledo powertrain in the fwd tch sub team leader. i would be careful doing that before you chande the trans fluid to get all the breakin metal out. that gen2 pump will lock up with any chips get in it.

Quote Originally Posted by l-eater View Post
    Yes, it barks the 1-2 pretty good. If I manually shift it I can make it bark 2-3 about 1 out of 4 times lol. I am very happy with the way the trans works since tuning. I drove my wifes un-tune 2012 Equinox the difference is night and day.
    lol nice. i have a manual so im not sure on the auto tuning but does it shift hard during normal driving? ive heard of people getting auto tranny tunes and it always shifting hard.
    2008 Sky RL

Quote Originally Posted by |V3nom| View Post
    lol nice. i have a manual so im not sure on the auto tuning but does it shift hard during normal driving? ive heard of people getting auto tranny tunes and it always shifting hard.

My trans tune is not what I would call hard or harsh during normal driving. It just feels a little firmer under normal driving. It shifts without lag as it should, none of the mushy hesistating crap it does stock. The exception to this is first thing in the mornings when it is cold it is a little too harsh, but once its been driven a couple miles its fine-I just havent had time to go back in and fix it.

Transmission firmness/shift is a subjective thing so what one person likes might be totally unacceptable to the next.