Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast

Thread: Cruze 1.4T Tuning?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
    btw, the same tables used to manipulate fan parameters influence the electronic thermostat. The ECM lets you desire a certain ECT. Do you have HPTuners?
    yes i do, i did not know the fan table configured both, my bad. i was just throwin two cents out there

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
    I wouldn't run anything less than 91 octane. I personally run 93 octane here.

These cars are setup from the factory for fuel economy, so you're going to get stupid high AFR, slow PE enrichment, and so forth. Like others, modifying the trans shift times to around .1 makes such a nice difference in the shifts.

I've attached my tune. It is ROUGH, so don't copy it. I'm still trying to understand how things like Pressure Ratio Max work to control boost as I don't think I"m getting full boost where I want it. Seems like until I hit 4k RPM, the boost seems to be held back by something.

Anyone that knows their stuff, feel free to comment on my tune. It's a work in progress.
    cool, ill check it out, see what i may have done wrong... my pc crashed sorry for the week late responses.
    honestly, i am pretty sure the solid tumbler lip on the intake mani is what is choking the most.. i would like to see how much boost/timing vince runs with his service.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rallycar2001 View Post
    cool, ill check it out, see what i may have done wrong... my pc crashed sorry for the week late responses.
    honestly, i am pretty sure the solid tumbler lip on the intake mani is what is choking the most.. i would like to see how much boost/timing vince runs with his service.
    My only concern with that is how it affects the lower RPM power band. I don't see why GM would purposely put a restriction there if it didn't help with making the car more "fun" to drive in the typical powerband.
    2012 Chevy Cruze A6 1LT RS

Formerly - 2004 GTO, 2002 Z28, 2007 Colorado, 2008 Silverado

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by rallycar2001 View Post
    yes i do, i did not know the fan table configured both, my bad. i was just throwin two cents out there
    Sorry, I do not mean the opening/closing of the thermostat is manipulated in that way. I meant more that the ECM seems to let you command a desired ECT. I'll add it to my list of things to observe if I can see when the thermostat is opening in relation to what I desire for coolant temp.

Tuner in Training
    ive been fighting this too lately, i finally have a little time, and i think this obstruction is the problem. it seems like its corked till 4k and finally the boost pushes air past the choke. the choke is for turbulence and mixing fuel for mpg.. gm didnt care about us wanting it fun lol

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris@HPTuners View Post
    yeah i tried playing with that table, i ended up leaving it at zero

The main culprit might is probably the knock airmass table, or the turbo overspeed limiting.

eg.
    Pressure Delta factor = 2.00 whole table
    Knock airmass = 2.00 whole table
    Overspeed limit Min = 2.00
    Driver Demand MAP A = Set 100% pedal row to 200
    peak torque = 500 whole table
    brake torque = 500 whole table
    overboot limit = 500 whole table
    rear propshaft max torque = 8192

This will hold the wastegate closed to your boost limit. I found using the knock airmass table and the Turbo Overspeed Pressure Ratio Max table easy ways to control boost instead of just the max limit table. The Knock airmass table will let you ramp in boost easily, while the pressure ratio limit is good for dropping of the boost at high RPM's where the intercooler is struggling.
    Chris,

Still need to test this, but does setting Overspeed Limit Min to anything above 1.0 g/cyl completely disabled overspeed limiting and thus the turbo overspeed pressure ratio controls? I'm still not completely understanding what all these tables do and if any single setting completely negates the "section".

I've tried to tune a Cruze recently and for whatever reason the PE table changes didn't seem to make a difference. The car was making ~23# of boost and it was commanding ~10.87 AFR at higher RPM. The main changes were increased boost limit and driver requested power. Ideas?
    Last edited by caesar; 07-01-2013 at 01:26 PM.

Turbo overtemp protection causes the 10.xx afr.
    2007 Chevy Trailblazer SS AWD with boltons GP tuned
    2012 Chevy Cruze A6 LTZ RS Vermount Stade 0 tuned

Advanced Tuner
    I am new to the Cruze 1.4T,
    Based on a few responses on this thread, is it advantageous to Disable "Use Calculated VSS" and then adjust the Map A- normal (Driver Demand) table?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by smithers View Post
    I am new to the Cruze 1.4T,
    Based on a few responses on this thread, is it advantageous to Disable "Use Calculated VSS" and then adjust the Map A- normal (Driver Demand) table?
    Why would you disable calculated VSS? Regardless, you modify the driver demand tables to increase the demanded power.

Advanced Tuner
    I asked due to a few reasons:
    1. with VSS enabled, you have to deal with RPM and obviously you don't want to demand too much at a lower rpm. (so how does one choose at what point to increase the kw)? do you just go from 3200to 6800 and increase the 90 and 100 rows? or 2800?
    2. Everyone's posted files have VSS disabled.
    3. When disabled, you see you can easily just change a row.

LEFT - VSS Disabled
    RIGHT - VSS Enabled

This is so different than what Im used to, thats for sure.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by smithers; 08-06-2013 at 08:15 PM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    picture on right looks to be miss-labeled.....has anyone thought to send out an error report to hpt so they can correct it?
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    picture on right looks to be miss-labeled.....has anyone thought to send out an error report to hpt so they can correct it?
    Mis-labeled somewhat.. yes...
    it should say RPM when VSS is enabled not vehicle speed.

"Driver Demand Calculated VSS: If enabled, the Driver Demand tables will calculate the vehicle speed axis using RPM and NV ratio calibration"

the x axis is RPM.

It appears everyones Map A Driver Demand tables that have mph or km as X axis means VSS is disabled. Its why I asked the original question
    Last edited by smithers; 08-06-2013 at 10:15 PM.

it's not mislabelled. The value is the vehicle speed as calculated from the RPM and the NV Ratio calibration. If the NV Ratio calibration is 1.0, the calculated speed is the same as RPM.
    I count sheep in hex...

Advanced Tuner
    Chris,
    I understand the values are correct, including the X axis labels (columns), but is the X axis title Label is supposed to say RPM, not km/h, is it not? It would make more sense to have 6800 in rpm units rather than km/h or am I missing something here?
    Maybe it should read Vehicle Speed (km/h) derived from RPM ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced Tuner
    Sounds like you're comparing a manual trans tune to an auto tune

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smithers View Post
    Chris,
    I understand the values are correct, including the X axis labels (columns), but is the X axis title Label is supposed to say RPM, not km/h, is it not? It would make more sense to have 6800 in rpm units rather than km/h or am I missing something here?
    Maybe it should read Vehicle Speed (km/h) derived from RPM ?
    thats what i was getting at chris... is it really supposed to be max cell value 6800 km/h?
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    The table being that way might be because the tables are statically defined and don't change their axis data title dynamically.

Advanced Tuner
    I have a love/hate relationship with Driver Demand too. If you hold throttle at a certain percent, you will go faster but your Driver Demand will go LOWER at some points which gives a yoyo effect to power delivery. If you fix that, then you lose out on cruising speed fuel economy benefits of the lesser power demand.

Advanced Tuner
    Question, lets say one wants to LOG what cyl airmass is based on RPM and Timing retard, just like what the Turbocharger Knock max airmass table looks like. How does one go about this? I keep getting a table that has only one row/column.
    The other is I am not quite understanding the Driver Demand - A table, when Use Calculated VSS is enabled.
    How does one determine what petal position and values to increase it by?
    Last edited by smithers; 08-11-2013 at 02:02 PM.