Thread: 98 camaro VATS delete?

98 camaro VATS delete?

apparently the V6 calibrations only allow "PWM" or "serial" (stock for this application) VATS selection, no "none" option. this is an engine swap. will switching to PWM disable the VATS? if not, is there any way to disable VATS in the PCM? TIA..

ok, a little more background info...

it's for a 98 v6 camaro pcm, to run a 2000 camaro v6/4l60e, in a chrysler body (go figure). the guy already has a custom 98 camaro pcm, which runs, but he doesn't like the tune. he said he tried a stock 98 pcm and it will only run for ~2 sec (VATS?).

he wants me to program a 98 pcm for him, no problem, except VATS is the main issue. i asked him if the the guy who programmed the other 98 pcm before switched it to PWM? so he says yes, <and> the 2000 VIN of donor vehicle was programmed into the 98 pcm. so he says. weird...

ok, so... <if> this info is correct, then presumably the 2000 BCM is in the harness? and the 2000 vin in the 98 pcm somehow satisfies the VATS PWM protocol? (sounds strange, like maybe just switching to PWM may be sufficient to bypass VATS.) anyway, switching to PWM is not a problem, but is there <any> way i can program a 2000 VIN into the 98 pcm using hpt (obviously given that i have unlimited model year licences for both)? i tried, and hpt apparently won't permit this bc VIN and OS are mismatched.

at this point i am going to either (a) leave it as PWM with generic 98 VIN which i actually think will work, or (b) try to also somehow force the 2000 VIN maybe using another tool. off hand i don't know how to do this, but if the info is correct, <someone> did it, so there's a way to do it... any thoughts or ideas appreciated.

-alex

Tuner
    The BCM produces a 50Hz signal square wave when the key matches the correct resistance to what the car is programmed for. This allows the PCM to function normal after cranking. It will set a code if VATS is engaging, something to the lines of "Theft Detterent singal not recieved".

There is no way to disable VATS on the GM V6 code.

fyi anyone-

i was going to change the vin using another tool, but didn't bother. i think the info they gave me was wrong and the vin doesn't matter, i don't think whoever worked on it before even had the tools to change the vin to a different year.

anyway, i just programmed a base 98 file with generic vin and changed vats to pwm. this effectively bypassed the vats and vehicle runs w/o any vats module. with this particular calibration anyway...

-alex

Tuner in Training
    yes changing the vats between pwm and serial does effectively remove VATS. I have done it already on two vehicles. And yes I am raising this from the dead as it is the first time I read through it

Potential Tuner
    I am having nothing but trouble doing a vats delete on a 2003 impala I set it to PWM and checked all 4 TDM dtc nothing works is this just wasting my credits