Thread: You can turn the key OFF when programming ???

You can turn the key OFF when programming ???

Found this on TrailVoy.com:
    :Quote:
    I don't know what year I6 you have, but my wife's 2002 lights up like a Christmas tree when I tune it. There are a lot of modules in this thing that talk to each other (Onstar, door modules, body control, tailgate module, etc). Don't worry, you won't kill the VCM with the calibration only write. These trucks have a bad habit of not "shutting up" during the programming process.
    If yours turns out to be one of them, I have found it best to let it start the read/write and once it gets to 5% on the progress bar to turn the key off. It makes sure the rest of the things won't talk. For a new guy this can be rather unnerving, but don't worry it's normal.
    Hope this helps,
    -Ken
    :End of quote:

So, how do I know if I have a 'talker', will the read/write take a long time, or will the read/write fail ?
    So, will turning the key to the OFF position after 5% progress work 100%, a-ok , on ANY GM car/truck, or is this just for the I6 Trailblazer type.

Hey Ken,
    Could you upload your 'tuned' ,Trailblazer file, to , http://www.horist.com/hptuner/
    so that we have something to compare to, with our 'tuning', on our Trailblazers.

Thanks,
    Dave
    2009 HHR SS automatic--- 350 HP - 450' LBS TORQUE,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDZgoSN8Gk0
    Mostly stock - K&N air intake, TTech engine mount, 2nd cat 'cored', E47.5 tune, Lighter - wheels/tires/rotors.
    13.0's @ 110MPH, street tires, 12.28 @ 112.67 best on slicks, 1.7s 60' ETs

Senior Tuner
    Yes.

I have been doing this since day 1 with vehicles that wont shut up.
    This is on VPW based vehicles, as CAN based vehicles dont have this problem. You just have to pay attention to what VCM Suite is saying. Once the bootloader is in and it's reading/writing, you can turn the key off.

The signs of a vehicle that wont shut up is everything starts making noise, lights come on, then the software retries high speed coms and if it fails again jumps down to 1x mode. An occasional blip is ok. GM does not guarantee high speed coms in their VPW based vehicles.
    Last edited by Casey; 05-07-2006 at 10:04 AM.