Thread: GPS Update Frequency

Tuner in Training

GPS Update Frequency

Hi All
    New here.

I have noticed, looking at the .csv data file, that there is an entry approximately every .05 seconds, from my phone. But the GPS coordinates and other date only gets updated every second. Is there a way to record the date at a faster pace, maybe every .1 of seconds.
    That would give a smoother presentation, needles and animations would be less jerky.

Thanks.

Bat

The GPS update rate comes from the hardware in your smartphone, which is almost always 1 Hz (once per second). The desire to increase this sampling rate and data quality is where external add-on GPS devices come into play... They typically offer 5 or 10 Hz, and even more importantly, much better and more consistent accuracy, precision, and signal reception. TrackAddict supports the XGPS160 and XGPS150 from Dual Electronics on iOS devices, and then Android users have a wider variety of choices that include those, as well as the Qstarz BT-Q818XT (my personal favorite), and others. Some more information is given here: http://RaceRender.com/TrackAddict/docs/Interop.html#GPS

Although many smartphones can get pretty good accuracy under ideal conditions, that's still only 1 Hz and is very sensitive to signal reception conditions, making it hard to consistently get good data (especially at certain tracks and/or inside a vehicle). A lot of data quality and reliability headaches disappear when you switch to a good external GPS, and the recorded data is more precise and accurate, so you can do finer driving line analysis, more with statistics, etc.

Tuner in Training

Red face Gps

Thank you very much Weston for this prompt and detailed response.

I am new to data gathering for video. But I have been around for a while in video. I am also relatively new with drones, themselves being relatively new!
    I have read the link to GPS cited in the previous post. It shows me that I still have a lot to learn, good for me.
    I have found on my search the Dashware software. This Application is free, but it seems that it is not well supported and seems to be in a stalled evolution.
    Today I had a look at RaceRender wich seems to well supported with Forum 'They had a new version out Yesterday (July, 8 2016)'.
    The way I understand this, is that these two apps " external data visualization software" are to display gauges on video, and feed these gauges with data that can be acquired via TrackAddict whose main objective is to gather data from different GPS or OBD-II and Can, these two being completely new for me. I love learning things. Please tell me if I am understanding this correctly?
    I am using Android Galaxy S5. I had a look at the Qstarz BT-Q818XT. You say it is one of your favorite. I understand this is Bluetooth so I guess it would send it's data to a close by Computer-Tablet-SmarPhone using Bluetooth and this would be the data files?

I'll leave it at this for the time being, wouldn't want to use to much of your time.
    Looking forward to learn more, even at my age (70).

Thanks again Weston will keep in touch.

Bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Capbat View Post
    Today I had a look at RaceRender wich seems to well supported with Forum 'They had a new version out Yesterday (July, 8 2016)'.
    The way I understand this, is that these two apps " external data visualization software" are to display gauges on video, and feed these gauges with data that can be acquired via TrackAddict whose main objective is to gather data from different GPS or OBD-II and Can, these two being completely new for me. I love learning things. Please tell me if I am understanding this correctly?
    Yes, TrackAddict is our smartphone app to collect the data, optionally video too, and then has some basic in-app video+data capabilities. Our RaceRender software focuses on further integration of video and data, with far more capabilities, features, and options. It can accept data and video from a wide variety of sources, with TrackAddict being one of those options.

I am using Android Galaxy S5. I had a look at the Qstarz BT-Q818XT. You say it is one of your favorite. I understand this is Bluetooth so I guess it would send it's data to a close by Computer-Tablet-SmarPhone using Bluetooth and this would be the data files?
    Yes, this Qstarz GPS is Bluetooth and can be used directly with your smartphone running TrackAddict. To set it up, turn the GPS on and tap on TrackAddict's "More Options..." button (on the Setup screen), then select "Bluetooth" for the "GPS" section, and click the device selection button that appears below it. It will show a list of paired Bluetooth devices, which will probably not include your GPS yet, so you'll just need pair it to your smartphone this first time: Press the "Settings" button to go to your phone's Bluetooth setup, wait for the scan to complete, and then tap on the list entry for the Qstarz GPS to begin pairing. When prompted for a PIN, it's usually 0000 with these Qstarz units, and then pairing should complete after you enter that.

Once the GPS is paired to your smartphone, you can hit the back button to return to TrackAddict, and it should now be offered in that list, then you can tap on it to select it for use with TrackAddict.

Tuner
    I think what is happening is that since the program goes so fast, it can check the GPS coordinates 20 times per second, to see if has changed, which only happens about once a second, but everything ends up in the log, even though 19 of the entries could probably be thrown out. Every GPS value is recorded, and you could record them for hours before the GPS log gets big (over 5Mb.)
    If you view the file, pay attention to the GPS_Update column. You could throw out all the zero entries, because only the 1s mean the GPS coordinate has actually changed (for the 1Hz devices.)